Aerostitch Bar End Helmet Locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesdog

Reaction score
I currently use a bicycle padlock hooked through the double mirror stem to secure my helmet. I tote the padlock in a small leather case, secured in one of the trays under the pillion. I'm looking for a more elegant solution, and want to install bar ends anyway. ('Cause they look kewl!)

I noticed these on the Aerostitch site, and asked them about fitment on my FJR with heated grips, but they are unable to provide information about my 'specific' bike.

I'm willing to take a chance they'll work with the heated grips, but I need to know the I/D of the feej's handlebars. Is it 6mm or 7/8"?

1462_1ha.jpg

I don't see how they could possibly interfere with the heated grips. Heated grips are in the grips themselves which is outside the bars. These look to secure inside the bars so the only potential contact with the grips would be on the very ends maybe, which shouldn't affect the heated parts.

I believe that you are looking for the 6mm screw option. Pull one of the bar ends off and look at the screw that holds it on. Pretty sure it's a 6mm. Also, you shouldn't have any issues due to the heated grips.

...but...

I tried these once a long time ago. The helmet would always bang against the tank no matter how I put the helmet in the lock, or turned the handlebars. I ended up giving them to someone with a Honda Rebel. Worked fine on that little critter.

I tried these once a long time ago. The helmet would always bang against the tank no matter how I put the helmet in the lock, or turned the handlebars. I ended up giving them to someone with a Honda Rebel. Worked fine on that little critter.
Was it windy where you parked? Surely you didn't ride with your helmet hanging off the end of the handlebar??

If the end weights don't fit the bike, SS, you could put them both in a sock and use it as a weapon. A defensive weapon.

We've got a guy on the ZRX board that makes these cables and sell them for $3. The entire cable, even the clamps, are plastic covered so the only metal to scratch the bike's finish is the lock, which is easily manageable. It's not the most trick solution, but it works for me.

caddys001.jpg

I currently use a bicycle padlock hooked through the double mirror stem to secure my helmet. I tote the padlock in a small leather case, secured in one of the trays under the pillion. I'm looking for a more elegant solution, and want to install bar ends anyway. ('Cause they look kewl!)
I noticed these on the Aerostitch site, and asked them about fitment on my FJR with heated grips, but they are unable to provide information about my 'specific' bike.

I'm willing to take a chance they'll work with the heated grips, but I need to know the I/D of the feej's handlebars. Is it 6mm or 7/8"?

1462_1ha.jpg
OK John, I am now 'officially stupid'. How do these things work? Do you pop the end weights off with a key, then somehow attach the helmet buckle?

I just put my helmet in a side-case or, if it is full, attach it the same as Old Guy does with a Masterlock cable.

Al.

I tried the cable thing for a while, before I discovered the bike padlock/mirror stem technique, which involves placing the helmets over the mirror, then passing the padlock through the 'D-ring' and then securing it through the mirror stem.

I haven't tried hanging the helmets from the handlebars, so didn't consider they may 'bang' against the tank. It's too late tonight, and I'm too tired, to go check this out. I'll do so tomorrow morning.

Anyhoo, apparently these weights/locks are in two pieces, (three, if you include the bolt). An inner cylinder, and the weight itself. This image may provide more information on how they work:

JB-barenders_4.jpg

I'll probably order a set, but will check out the helmet/tank thing before hand. If I get them, I'll post back on how they work, (or not..)

Last edited by a moderator:
These were mounted on my bike when I bought it. They work and are the kitties titties.

Unless your helmet strap is a whole lot loner than mine, you won't be able to hang the helmet on the mirror and lock the d-ring to the bar-end. Which also means that your helmet will be hanging off the bar end upside down. I don't like any sort of helmet lock that leaves the helmet hanging upside down. Any time it sprinkles the inside of your helmet will be drenched, and it is too tempting for passing miscreants to throw stuff inside your lid.

I used to hang my helmet(s) on the mirrors until one day a fairly new one dropped off and hit the pavement. Locking it to a (second gen) mirror would prevent it from falling off, so I guess that isn't so bad.

I now either put the helmet into an empty side case, or when the cases are full I set the helmet on the seat (right side up) and use a cable through the chin bar(s) from under the seat. No need for any extra lock and key or combination to remember, and the helmets won't fill up with rain during a shower.

Just get yourself a short length of vinyl coated steel-wire cable and swage a loop onto each end. Shrink wrap the two ferrules to prevent any scratches (I hadn't done the second one yet in this picture). Loop the cable through the chin bar(s) of your helmet(s) and back through itself.

100_0220.jpg

Then put the free end under the seat locking tab, lock the seat back on, and voila!

100_0221.jpg

And the cable stores neatly under the seat when not in use.

100_0223.jpg

What could be easier than that?

I had em on since I bought the bike in 07, I highly recommend them. You want the 6mm screw on type, no problem with heated grips. You can lock helmets and riding gear with the small 6' cable they sell as well. Just run it through everything and lock the ends. Ba Zing your done.

Unless your helmet strap is a whole lot loner than mine, you won't be able to hang the helmet on the mirror and lock the d-ring to the bar-end. Which also means that your helmet will be hanging off the bar end upside down. I don't like any sort of helmet lock that leaves the helmet hanging upside down. Any time it sprinkles the inside of your helmet will be drenched, and it is too tempting for passing miscreants to throw stuff inside your lid.
I used to hang my helmet(s) on the mirrors until one day a fairly new one dropped off and hit the pavement. Locking it to a (second gen) mirror would prevent it from falling off, so I guess that isn't so bad.

I now either put the helmet into an empty side case, or when the cases are full I set the helmet on the seat (right side up) and use a cable through the chin bar(s) from under the seat. No need for any extra lock and key or combination to remember, and the helmets won't fill up with rain during a shower.

Just get yourself a short length of vinyl coated steel-wire cable and swage a loop onto each end. Shrink wrap the two ferrules to prevent any scratches (I hadn't done the second one yet in this picture). Loop the cable through the chin bar(s) of your helmet(s) and back through itself.
+1

- though I use one of these https://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details/719D

I have used this lock since I got my FJR. $10.99 on the link. Picked it up at a bike shop.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/991/34075/ITEM/Kryptonite-KryptoFlex-815-Combo-Cable-Lock.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA991&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CNPgk8rNwLYCFQnhQgodHXgAcA

0000-Kryptonite-KryptoFlex-815-Combo-Cable-Lock-Steel.jpg

It fits in a fairly small pocket on my tank bag, and requires no key. I can thread it through one sleeve of my riding jacket and helmet and it holds it all in place on top of the seat. Great for running in somewhere to eat lunch, etc. I always put the lock part on top so people immediately see that my stuff is locked to the bike.

Thanks for all the comments, friends.

I checked the layout this morning, and decided against the bar end locks -- As Fred points out, the helmet would hang upside down, and present an ideal rain receptacle/target for mischief and nesting birds. Also, the helmet would rest/rub against the side of the fairing.

Last year, I made one of the cables as depicted in Fred's excellent pics, and used it for a while, until I discovered the bicycle padlock/mirror combo. I prefer that method, because the helmet can be placed upright over the mirror, and I don't have to fiddle about with the cable & pillion seat latch, or fret about a stiff breeze or a bump from a passerby knocking the helmet off the seat.

I can carry the lock in the glove box, or under the pillion, or in one of the panniers, or even in my jacket pocket. Although I generally take my jacket with me, I could incorporate that cable I fabricated earlier with the padlock, and secure both helmet and jacket to the bike. I ride solo, but if/when I had a passenger, she would be provided with an additional bicycle padlock to secure her helmet.

I may yet purchase some bar end weights, but strictly for the kewlness factor!
punk.gif

Thanks for all the comments, friends.
I checked the layout this morning, and decided against the bar end locks -- As Fred points out, the helmet would hang upside down, and present an ideal rain receptacle/target for mischief and nesting birds. Also, the helmet would rest/rub against the side of the fairing.

Last year, I made one of the cables as depicted in Fred's excellent pics, and used it for a while, until I discovered the bicycle padlock/mirror combo. I prefer that method, because the helmet can be placed upright over the mirror, and I don't have to fiddle about with the cable & pillion seat latch, or fret about a stiff breeze or a bump from a passerby knocking the helmet off the seat.

I can carry the lock in the glove box, or under the pillion, or in one of the panniers, or even in my jacke pocket. Although I generally take my jacket with me, I could incorporate that cable I fabricated earlier with the padlock, and secure both helmet and jacket to the bike. I ride solo, but if/when I had a passenger, she would be provided with an additional bicycle padlock to secure her helmet.

I may yet purchase some bar end weights, but strictly for the kewlness factor!
punk.gif
If you like the bar end weights, you might be a good candidate for a Throttlemeister ;)

My wife got us a pair of these from Yamaha, although I don't know if they can still be had from Yamaha.

MGP_20091128_7461_Edit_zpsfecedcf7.jpg

I have a Givi with the Givi steel grab bar, and with the inserts provided, these locks fit perfectly around that bar. The helemets are secured upright around the chin bar (not sure how these would work for open-face helmets) and they hang off the sides slightly, over the side cases. I don't have a picture of them on my bike, but if interested I could provide one.