Aftermarket fairings from ebay.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
Need to replace all the fairings on the FJR. Was looking on ebay and came across these vendors.. anyone have any first hand experience?

Please, no chinese crap comments (without experience of said chinese crap) or responses of I know someone whose uncles, cousins, sisters, nephew tried one...etc etc...

Looking for inputs from those who have had first hand experience with these type of fairings (need not be FJR only, could be other bikes), or personally know someone/seen the bodywork on someone else's bike and know of issues etc..

Here is one vendor I was looking at..

https://www.ebay.com/...=item416b3366be

Thanks much!

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not use them. A coworker of mine ordered them for a sportbike. I can give you his phone number if ya like. They are pretty much junk. The fit very poor. He got the entire set. The bike looks good from 10-15 feet. Close up is pretty bad. Runs in the clear coat. Horrible fit is the worst of the issues. I would rather buy damaged factory and repair it. I promise you will be sorry.

ed

The question comes up all the time, but no one will confess to having actually done it. OTOH, most queries are for individual panels, not the whole body. Since they aren't painted the factory colors, individual panels don't make sense. There's also the question of whether they use the same fastener locations. Not a big deal, maybe, if you're using their entire kit, but if hole A doesn't line up with slot B on an original panel you wanted to keep, then it doesn't help much.

Lastly, since they aren't factory colors, you either have to paint all the panels, paint your gas tank, or deal with it.

Lastly, and this is for others' reference since yours is a GEN-I, the Hong Kong vendors don't seem to have Gen-II bits, and they aren't interchangeable.

I would not use them. ... They are pretty much junk. The fit very poor. ... pretty bad. Runs in the clear coat. Horrible fit ... I promise you will be sorry.
Sam, sounds like eddie is on the fence.

biggrin.gif

Think I know where you're coming from Sam.

My 06 got totaled on the cost of replacing the plastic alone. No other damage, just plastic!

Found this site. Don't know a thing about them, other than they will accept paypal for payment. So you may have some recourse if things go wrong.

Yamaha Fairings - made in China

From a friend of mine that installed some when I asked him about fit and finish...

It was remarkable good' date=' we used all the stock fasteners, Chad did the clean up on the holes with a pocket knife mostly, fit was pretty good, finish was excellent. The only real flaw is the front fender is slightly crooked, but that could straighten out with time out of the box. But, overall, I would say this is some good looking and nicely made stuff. I would recommend it.[/quote']
Thread here -> https://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64115

I would say to nevermind the doofuses, but I know this crowd. :lol:

I have quite a bit of Chinese plastic on my 04. The Chinese quality isn't as quite as good as OEM but the difference isn't noticeable once installed.

The catch, as mentioned, is that the color isn't OEM so you need the DIY ability and tools for quality painting. What I did was buy an entire bodywork set then repaint all of it myself to OEM with PPG base and clearcoat. If you have to pay a professional to do that it's cost prohibitive.

I have quite a bit of Chinese plastic on my 04. The Chinese quality isn't as quite as good as OEM but the difference isn't noticeable once installed.

The catch, as mentioned, is that the color isn't OEM so you need the DIY ability and tools for quality painting. What I did was buy an entire bodywork set then repaint all of it myself to OEM with PPG base and clearcoat. If you have to pay a professional to do that it's cost prohibitive.
Good info there Lee. So you ordered the pieces that look like they were *supposed* to match the 04 silver, but they did not?

Good info there Lee. So you ordered the pieces that look like they were *supposed* to match the 04 silver, but they did not?
Correct, the set I ordered was silver but had a bluish tint relative to Yamaha Cerulean Silver.

Over the years, after 70,000 miles, my 2005 FJr has fallen a few times. The fastest I was ever going was about 1.5 mph. Usually - for one reason or another, I just let it fall. I always wonder...why did I let that happen? No good answers, it just happened.

So, I have scratches. I have scrapes. I have a piece of plastic above the battery that is missing and a crack there.

And I had some money available. So, I'm giving this 'SureTribe' place a try. I am getting a full fairing, $620. Ordered May 25, 2013.

I will keep this tread current. Right now, 3 days later the status is "Being Processed".

June 8th. The fairing I ordered is "Shipped". Don't have the tracking info yet. 12 days from the order date, which was a Saturday.

Cool Man..... Looking forward to hearing about these.... My bike looks awesome, but am curious about the colors and how they match up to the tank....

I've always liked the 2005 Blue/Silver Scheme....

Which did you go with? Hope you will be posting up pics... :)

I've seen a lot of posts on the Busa forums about after market fairings. What I have gathered from those is that the fit is very hit or miss. Often times the mounting holes do not line up etc. Some people get crappy stuff, others get stuff that fits. The over all quality is almost always worst than OEM. Some people wind up with stuff they like, most do not.