Air filter trick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zoom Zoom

This is a money saving, going green trick to clean the Air Filter. (Air Filer = AF from now on).

Theoretically AF can be cleaned by blowing air. But, a lot of dirt remains trapped in the AF . There is a better way to really clean the AF .

Wrap the AF in a pillow case and toss it into laundry. Run the laundry using cold wash. Use Tide or your favorite detergent. Once the AF has been treated with detergent/water and rotated for 10 minutes or so , remove the pillow case containing the AF before the spin/rinse cycle ( spinning can damage the casing).

Now go to the sink and run cold water from outside the AF to remove all detergent.

Put the AF in the sun to dry. Do not use dryer.

You will get an absolutely clean AF .

I have done this on my previous bikes and did it today on the FJR.

Save money, Go green.

ZoomZoom

No offense, but I'll simply pay the $20 every 12,000 miles or so.

How can you be sure the washing is not damaging the air filter element? After all, the Yammie recommendation is to change it sooner if ridden in rain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use 20-30 gallons of water, laced with phosphates and chemical dispersants, to clean your air filter....THEN dump all that toxified water into the local aquifer.

Yep....that's goin' "green" in my book. :p

How can you be sure the washing is not damaging the air filter element? After all, the Yammie recommendation is to change it sooner if ridden in rain.
That's why you go double-green and apply some of your leftover transmission oil to the washed filter. It improves efficiency of the filter like a K&N, reduces the amount of waste oil you have to pour in the storm sewer, and adds 2 horsepower to the rear wheel...guaranteed. ;)

Use 20-30 gallons of water, laced with phosphates and chemical dispersants, to clean your air filter....THEN dump all that toxified water into the local aquifer.
Yep....that's goin' "green" in my book. :p

That's why you go double-green and apply some of your leftover transmission oil to the washed filter. It improves efficiency of the filter like a K&N, reduces the amount of waste oil you have to pour in the storm sewer, and adds 2 horsepower to the rear wheel...guaranteed. ;)
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: damn and it aint even friday.

If I do put it in the dryer and add Spring Fresh fabric softener sheets, When reused on the bike I would make the air exiting my muffler seem greener (((((((:)

Hey, Zoom - like your method, conceptually. I've got several K miles left on mine but might try it.

Use 20-30 gallons of water, laced with phosphates and chemical dispersants, to clean your air filter....THEN dump all that toxified water into the local aquifer.Yep....that's goin' "green" in my book. :p
don't listen to him, bet Howie never washes his clothes...

I don't even clean my filter. I just replace it with a dryer sheet duct taped into place. Gives the exhaust a nice "flowery" scent.

Strange- nobody mentioned the wifey part of the equation..If I did that in her washer forget the green-more like black and blue..

I use the steam-fresh cycle on my washer. It gets those pesky wrinkles out.

I don't know why Yamaha designed a filter with all those wrinkles in it, seems kinda stupid. :crazy:

I use the steam-fresh cycle on my washer. It gets those pesky wrinkles out.
I don't know why Yamaha designed a filter with all those wrinkles in it, seems kinda stupid. :crazy:
Oh jesus, my liver. I snerked so hard I think I inhaled a nostril.