Airhawk or gel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep waiting for a deal to come up to try one of these. I actually found an upholstery shop here in Albuquerque that will scoop the seat, add gel and foam to both passenger and rider seats, and recover both of them in my choice of materials for $325. He does lots of cruiser seats. He did awesome work on my wife's Expedition seat. Just need to get it over to him and see how it come out.
I wouldn't do the gel.

It is very hot in summer, very cold in winter, and very hard on your soft bits all year, if you want to ride more than a few hundred miles.

Seriously, of all the solutions folk try, gel inserts are right up there with the worst ideas.

I keep waiting for a deal to come up to try one of these. I actually found an upholstery shop here in Albuquerque that will scoop the seat, add gel and foam to both passenger and rider seats, and recover both of them in my choice of materials for $325. He does lots of cruiser seats. He did awesome work on my wife's Expedition seat. Just need to get it over to him and see how it come out.
I wouldn't do the gel.

It is very hot in summer, very cold in winter, and very hard on your soft bits all year, if you want to ride more than a few hundred miles.

Seriously, of all the solutions folk try, gel inserts are right up there with the worst ideas.
Well crap; although, that's not the first time I've heard that. He talked about putting it in there and then covering it with foam. Maybe I'll have him just skip the gel and do different density foam. I talked to Spencer a while back also. Was very reasonable.

Well crap; although, that's not the first time I've heard that. He talked about putting it in there and then covering it with foam. Maybe I'll have him just skip the gel and do different density foam. I talked to Spencer a while back also. Was very reasonable.
Different density foam is about how every seat builder does it. The key is getting the right density, in the right place to support you right across the entire seating area, with a real soft layer under your ischium (sitting bones).

Mayer, both of them, and Seth Laam are among those using this method.

Russell are unique in that they add a steel spring between those wings folk don't like the look of. That holds the seat in the right shape and spreads your weight evenly, with none on the important sitting bones. Squishing those is where the burn comes from. Gell removes none of that pressure, and in summer it adds heat. While it might be better than the rubbish foam used by the OEM, it is not much better. Corbin are also capable of producing gorgeous planks of wood that might suit the odd rider, but I'd still like to chat with him after an SS5000 :D

Again, it really depends on your planned mileage. I tried everything because I knew best and i couldn't afford the Russell. When I finally decided that I couldn't afford NOT to buy a Russell, that discomfort simply vanished. The best thing I can say about that seat is that I forget it is there. I also lowered the pegs and all the hip and knee pain disappeared too.

The FJR really is comfortable now, for as long as I can keep my eyes open.