Allstates Repulsive Ad Campaign

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have allstate as well. When I got hit a few years back, they took great care of the bike, not a single argument there, but they asshat that I had to deal with for my personal claim for my gear, well, he could fall under a bus and I would care. I don't hold that against the company though. Just one asshat that I had to deal with out of the whole mess. In the end, he was gone and I got what I felt was reasonable.

Now, what I would like to know, is how to get that deal for 140'ish a year. Maybe it's age, but I have 5 cars, my house and two bikes with them. I'm paying way more then 140'ish a year though for just one bike let alone two of them. An before anyone says anything, I have no tickets and the accident wasn't my fault, and it's the only accident I've had.

Their ad doesn't bother me though. I agree with a lot of the others, I think people do need a reminder that things fall down and go boom. Maybe it will help keep some of those that have no business being on two from getting out there and accidentally taking out some of us that are careful and understand the risks.

That was interesting, I hadn't seen the ads linked to this thread. Both, in my opinion, were well done and hit the mark with their message and will stick with me for awhile. That's what advertising is supposed to do.

I switched to Allstate 6 months ago and will stay with them as long as they continue to serve me at a rate that I am comfortable with. I was with the same ins company for almost 20 yrs., but have found it necessary to keep my eyes open for better rates all the time. Insurance is a comodity, and like any other good or service, it is a business. If they run their business well they will survive, if not they will fail..... until the government takes them over and they become wards of the state. But of course that's a different debate. :rolleyes:

Hey Judy,

I thought it was pretty interesting...slow mo always gets my attention. Lots of things going on that just happen too fast to truly appreciate. Kinda cool seeing how many times the bike flips (with or without you as the case may be) going down the road towards the I-beam holding up the freeway sign. Tells me I don't want to be anywhere near that activity.

Oh, but this is an insurance thread...right? I've got Progressive...they don't have cool slow-mo commercials like this other insurance company. They have a talking lizard or a plump chick named Flo or something.

Trying really hard to avoid those freeway signs, I am - Wee Willy.

PS: I think your Stig avatar is pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a kick out of watching those bikes get tossed and trashed. :yahoo: I was thinking about what they did to make that happen. :unsure: Did they fling them from somekind of slingshot or did they set the throttle and let em go? :clapping: The fact that no humans were harmed in making the commercial was a bonus. :rolleyes:

Commercials? What are commercials? I DVR anything I plan on watching and skip past these periodic, off-topic plays they keep trying to slip into the middle of the show I'm trying to watch.

The message is quite clear, though:

They want us to know that motorcycles crash if they are in motion without a rider on them.

Also, that Allstate has a lot of money to waste crashing nice motorcycles.

Not my kind of outfit.

Anybody that thinks crashes are not to be talked about has obviously never wadded one up at an FJR owners event. Seemed like it was the only topic of conversation when I did it.

Perhaps Allstate should upgrade to

Love your avatar. I did the same thing in 1980, totaling a Yamaha Seca 750, at a high rate of speed, with a snootfull of booze. Still have a Yamaha, haven't touched a drop of booze while riding since that night.... ;)

Your post was a good subject to be brought up on the Forum. Although I disagree with your opinion, I will say it's that type of mind thought why my wife doesn't ride (bitch) as a pillion. At least not any longer.

I agree that the commercial does get your attention, but not being superstitious, watching it won't be the cause of anyone having an accident. They happen and if riding long enough, we are all liable to have one at some point if not already. I can see how a fence sitter could be swayed one way or the other by it. Pillions should only ride if they want to anyway, otherwise they will cause the rider to fight to stay in control. The best Pillion is the person you don't even know they are back there.

Okay. This will probably be my last post on this topic. I think I get the gist.

Just want to reiterate that my problem with Allstate is simply this ad campaign, not their coverage, rates or customer care. I don't have a problem with watching the cars crash. I also have no problem discussing crashes of mine and those of other riders. I learn from what I hear. Inconsistent? So be it. I have had many and will continue to have many inconsistent viewpoints. To those who don't, I salute you.

However,

I don't need to be reminded how risky riding a motorcycle is. I remind myself each time I mount up.

As for the code,

My buddies and I had a good laugh, at my expense, when I mentioned "the code" to them too. When I explained what I meant by "code", they at least understood where I was coming from, if not going all the way to confirming the existence of a "code". So here it is...

My explanation of one of what I experience and interpret as Moto-Codes:

My buddies and I don't discuss the risks of riding a bike, even when we feel like pushing the envelope a bit. You only push the envelope at the track? I salute you. We don't discuss the results of a mistake rounding a 25 at 60 (pick your speed) when we're carving a canyon. Never carve a canyon? You are riding an FJR, right? It doesn't have to be stated, but we all know the risks.

We don't talk about that one moment of inattention, when we get our _sses run over by a dump truck while stopped at a red light or get T-boned by someone blowing through a stop at a blind intersection. We don't talk about it, but we know it's there. The risks are large, real and everywhere... everytime you Tango. We ride. We love it. The risks are acceptable. But I still don't appreciate Allstate breaking the code, in this deplorable fashion, to make a buck. Finally, from the responses here, I suppose it is only...my code. And how is Allstate to know or care about my code? I understand your defense of them.

I salute you all, but I'll stand pat.

I salute you all, but I'll stand pat.
Well, make up your mind. Are you Pat, or Judy?
and are you male or female?

Itispat.jpg

jeeze the drama on this thread. what's america coming too when a company can't stack up a few bikes in cool fashion without someone getting their Pat-ties in a wad. Seems everyone cares too much about how other folk spend their money. Allstate can spend theirs on advertising and I can spend mine on Allstate ...and you give shit why??

Code? WTF

are you talking Keith Code of rider/racer education fame --and founder and director of California Superbike Cornering Schools?

Or maybe promoting the Keith Code wheelie schools were I'm sure few bikes have stacked up:

https://www.motorcycle.com/news/news710.html

From a marketing standpoint (Allstate's standpoint) I think they missed the boat on this ad. It seems that it would frighten more perspective customers away from riding than it would invite. Hell, it should be the opposite type of an ad, with sexy girls, sun, open road and everyone waiving at you because you are so cool. You know, a Harley ad!

As a rider, I feel that the ad is just fine. I share the sentiments of others that the ad my keep away a few who don't know/recognize the risks from riding or at least make them ride a little safer. I personally watch crash videos on a regular basis. I also have access through my job to accident reports on riders who were not always doing what they were supposed to be doing. I use these as reminders for myself to take it easy and ride safe. Exposure keeps me aware. I think the ads are good exposure.

I buy insurance based on coverage options, cost and customer service. I'm not sure what order, but I consider those facts when shopping. The ad does nothing for me from that standpoint. In fact, it's a bit of an insult, because I KNOW bikes don't crash alone and I KNOW there is nothing they are going to do while that crash is going on. They can't help me, all they can do is buy me a new bike... assuming I am still able to ride one when I am done.

I've been riding since '65, and from my experience the "code" you mention is, indeed, your code. It is certainly not "the" code.

In my racing days we all avoided talking directly about risk, but we sure talked about every crash to better understand the cause and to learn what we could do better to avoid the same.

It is true that we all recognize the danger of riding, but closing our eyes to reminders of that danger is like sticking one's head in the sand. I want to be reminded how I could get rear-ended at a stoplight so I can thoroughly examine what I can do to lessen my risk. Same goes for every aspect of my riding.

Showing a bike cartwheel down the road...always a great wake-up call. Yeah, that could be my FJR. But reminders of that keep me on my toes, and that is where we all need to be when out riding.

And yes, I often pick up the pace in some nice twisties, but I accept the additional risk. Ignoring it should not be a part of any code.