Alternative to the Saddle Bag Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
During my recent off, my left saddle bag was rashed pretty bad. Thanks to Gary, that is getting fixed. Although it never touched the ground, the accident caused the right saddlebag to shear both screws for the latch, and toss the lock cylinder. I didn't realize this at the time. Amazingly, I rode home 40 miles with the latch in it's locked position, keeping my stuff from getting splattered all over the highway.

I looked far and wide for a replacement cylinder, finding a 3-piece set on fleabay for $70.00 plus. No OEM re-sellers had them in stock. I'm planning a long riding weekend at the end of the month.

Hmmmm - time to get creative. Thankfully, I have access to a lathe and mill.

001.jpg

I took a piece of aluminum round stock and turned it down to fit the cylinder hole. Then I used an end mill to create the knob. Finally, I drilled and tapped 2 new screw holes. Like the stock bag, the latch holds the cylinder in place.

002.jpg

Works like a charm. I'm giving up "security", but let's be honest, how secure was the lock in the first place? I like it so much, I'm thinking about doing the other side so I don't have to worry about losing my key on my day trips.

Where there's a will...

I can't believe we haven't seen this before. Pretty slick I think.

Just remember that without the lock to add some deterrence, some a-hole could walk away with your whole bag.

Someone needs to come up with the lockable pushbutton deals BMW has. Those are pretty cool.

Hey Pants,

What's that I see just in front of your saddlebag? Looks like some sort of cupholder. I've often wished I had one. Is that a home made item?

Gary

darksider #44

Looks like the bag is sitting in the passenger seat of a truck (or car maybe) and that's what the cup holders are attached to.

Great idea and a clever way to replace the bag lock. There's got to be an easy way to secure the bag w/o looking too bad...something to think about. You could always use the Toecutter approach, with a clevis pin and small padlock to secure the bag to the bike.

--G

Looks like the bag is sitting in the passenger seat of a truck (or car maybe) and that's what the cup holders are attached to.
Now that I look at it under the light of your awar-oisity, it's clear to see two things. I'm getting old and I can't remember the other one. So before you get to laughing too much at my dumb question, I need to know: how'd you mount the saddle bag to the truck?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I look at it under the light of your awar-oisity, it's clear to see two things. I'm getting old and I can't remember the other one. So before you get to laughing too much at my dumb question, I need to know: how'd you mount the saddle bag to the truck?

Gary

darksider #44
Since it is mounted to the seat in the truck all he has to do is lock the truck doors. Security problem solved!

Gary, that was pretty funny. But hey, misery loves company. I'm closer to the peak of the hill that I'd like to be.

I'm planning to take it apart this weekend and prime/paint it black. HOpefully, it wont' look so ugly then. I was just so excited about the idea working, that I had to take a picture - right there in the truck.