Altitude surging on 07 fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Premium fuel only as a nod to the Gawd of Surging.. figured it's worth a few cents more. I'm sure it had no impact on the bike's performance, but my superstitious nature was satisfied... :)

Has anybody had the problems while riding the bike with enthusiasm? The only time I had an issues with surging was when I climbed up 52 in NC to Fancy Gap at a mellow pace and idled at the top to wait for someone to catch up. I have made many climbs with higher RPMs and never noticed a problem. My bike is an 07 with 8000 miles and approx 50 climbs with elevation changes of 1500 to 4000 and only one episode of surging.

Has anybody had the problems while riding the bike with enthusiasm? The only time I had an issues with surging was when I climbed up 52 in NC to Fancy Gap at a mellow pace and idled at the top to wait for someone to catch up. I have made many climbs with higher RPMs and never noticed a problem. My bike is an 07 with 8000 miles and approx 50 climbs with elevation changes of 1500 to 4000 and only one episode of surging.

For the most part I ride my '07 fast and "with enthusiasm" and I don't have a surge issue; However, on a few cold (40 degree) rides I wasn't very fast or "enthusiastic" and did experience the surge. Oh, the bike is just over 6,300 miles and I love it!

Hey guys, that's very encouraging news to me. However, can you two define 'enthusiasm' better? How about including rpms and throttle openings?? Am curious if it means a WOT blast every once in a while, keeping the rpms up all the time (and above how many), keeping the rpms AND speed (large throttle opening) up, or a combination.

The bad news is my bike just has 411 miles, so can't really dog it right now, but tried a handful of throttle a few times when the surging was bad (to 'clear' it), and didn't help much. On the other hand, it wasn't bad enough that i had to stop, but annoying as hell. Maybe if I hadn't done that it'd have been worse, no?

The good news is next time I get there it'll have over 500 miles, so can be a bit more aggressive. Thanks in advance for your tips. As long as I find a way to avoid severe surging, I'd be more than happy with the bike. I always ride solo, and I ride fast and aggressive in the twisties, so nobody would be twisting my arm, so to speak < he he>. Later.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never really paid attention to the details of "riding with enthusiasm." However it has ranged from riding double with she who must be obeyed to peg scraping. I think it is mainly keeping the RPMs in the power band. No sustained full throttle and no lugging the engine. I think when I am having fun I tend to keep the RPMs over 3000 maybe over 4000. The kind of riding I am talking about would go well with breaking in the motor. No sustained high RPMs and no lugging at low RPMs. The only thing I know for sure was when I made a longer climb with fewer shifts and perhaps slightly lugging the engine and then idled at the top it had bad surging. I thought of it as a "relaxed" climb. After the surging started higher RPMs did not fix it. I can't remember now if it went away on its own or if I turned the bike off.

I have some insider news that there will be a fix coming down the chain very soon. I can't say a whole lot about it ,but the problem and what Yamaha found was explained to me today and some details of the Technical Bulletin that is coming too. I will keep you guys posted....Looks like some folks will be getting new ECU's for their 07's.
I just ordered a 2007 FJR and will be picking it up in Ft. Lauderdale Sept. 10. My plans are to ride it to Maine and then back to my home in Mexico. It still is in the crate and maybe I still have some options, although it is fully paid for. I live in central Mexico at 7000 ft. Buying the FJR was a toss up between the Kawasaki 2008 Contour. After hearing about the surging problem, I am inclined to talk to the dealer, who is also a Kawasaki dealer, about switching to the Countouri. I would prefer the FJR as the Contour is a first generation bike ( the devil that you know etc.). I have a short time frame to make a decision and knowing a fix is soon at hand for the FJR.

Glad to see so many FJR owners are on top of it. The vin # is JYARP15E67A003854. Does anyone know if this effects all 2007? There is no doubt that Yamaha will fix the problem. My problem, once back in Mexico, is San Antonio will be my closest posibility and riding two up through twisty mountain roads with the surge doesn't sound like fun and maybe dangerous. Any light you can shed on this is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, that's very encouraging news to me. However, can you two define 'enthusiasm' better? How about including rpms and throttle openings?? Am curious if it means a WOT blast every once in a while, keeping the rpms up all the time (and above how many), keeping the rpms AND speed (large throttle opening) up, or a combination.
The bad news is my bike just has 411 miles, so can't really dog it right now, but tried a handful of throttle a few times when the surging was bad (to 'clear' it), and didn't help much. On the other hand, it wasn't bad enough that i had to stop, but annoying as hell. Maybe if I hadn't done that it'd have been worse, no?

The good news is next time I get there it'll have over 500 miles, so can be a bit more aggressive. Thanks in advance for your tips. As long as I find a way to avoid severe surging, I'd be more than happy with the bike. I always ride solo, and I ride fast and aggressive in the twisties, so nobody would be twisting my arm, so to speak < he he>. Later.

JC
BBQ here re: enthusiasm

In 5th gear I have a tough time keeping the bike under 70mph so in town, or in my case on-Island, riding is done in 2nd and 3rd gear. Anyway I get outta here as often as possible and I like to ride around 3800 -5000 rpm with bursts up to 6000 rpm. Yes, there is some WOT (not a lot) and no lugging Hope that helps clairfy. Good Luck and Good Riding

Does anyone know if this effects all 2007?
Hey Catman, all 2007s are affected until Yamaha comes up with a fix, and incorporates it into production. My bike is 2933, with 1/07 build date, by the way.

I wouldn't buy NEITHER bike in your situation, even though I own an '07 FJR. And yes, I know a thing or two about Mexico; I lived in Mexico City for 18 years. I'm willing to wait a while longer for Yamaha to fix this, but I ride solo and not often, and live in the US. It's my honest opinion based on your circumstances. Yes, it's a fantastic bike otherwise, but riding 2-up in mountainous Mexico traffic with the surging would be almost suicidal IMO.

And I won't buy a first year model bike or car ever again (last bad experience was my Honda GL1800), and you're smart to be weary of it.

You have a tough decision to make brother. I honestly don't like any other bike on the market, ride solo, and not often; that's why I'm willing to wait for Yamaha to fix this. But if I was in your situation, as much as I hate chains, I'd probably buy an ABS VFR. But between an FJR and Concours in Mexico, I'd buy the latter. It might have some nagging problems down the road, but at least it (reportedly) has impeccable fueling, and super smooth engine and tranny. The only known disadvantage is more engine heat than the FJR, but at 7K' of altitude, it's a non issue. Best of luck man. I always wanted to ride a bike from Mexico City to Cuernavaca (on the toll highway). Hope you have a chance to do it; must be a blast. Take care.

Hey Rfulcher and BBQ, thanks a lot for the explanation. I thought you guys were going to say 7K rpm or something like that. I was riding at 4-5K rpm, but started doing that after I felt the surging, and just like in your case, didn't help after that. Will start the mountain climb more aggressively next time, but not overly so and see what happens. My TB plate synch was way off, so that might help things a bit too. Thanks for your help again. Later.

JC

Does anyone know if this effects all 2007?
Hey Catman, all 2007s are affected until Yamaha comes up with a fix, and incorporates it into production. My bike is 2933, with 1/07 build date, by the way.

I wouldn't buy NEITHER bike in your situation, even though I own an '07 FJR. And yes, I know a thing or two about Mexico; I lived in Mexico City for 18 years. I'm willing to wait a while longer for Yamaha to fix this, but I ride solo and not often, and live in the US. It's my honest opinion based on your circumstances. Yes, it's a fantastic bike otherwise, but riding 2-up in mountainous Mexico traffic with the surging would be almost suicidal IMO.

And I won't buy a first year model bike or car ever again (last bad experience was my Honda GL1800), and you're smart to be weary of it.

You have a tough decision to make brother. I honestly don't like any other bike on the market, ride solo, and not often; that's why I'm willing to wait for Yamaha to fix this. But if I was in your situation, as much as I hate chains, I'd probably buy an ABS VFR. But between an FJR and Concours in Mexico, I'd buy the latter. It might have some nagging problems down the road, but at least it (reportedly) has impeccable fueling, and super smooth engine and tranny. The only known disadvantage is more engine heat than the FJR, but at 7K' of altitude, it's a non issue. Best of luck man. I always wanted to ride a bike from Mexico City to Cuernavaca (on the toll highway). Hope you have a chance to do it; must be a blast. Take care.

Hey Rfulcher and BBQ, thanks a lot for the explanation. I thought you guys were going to say 7K rpm or something like that. I was riding at 4-5K rpm, but started doing that after I felt the surging, and just like in your case, didn't help after that. Will start the mountain climb more aggressively next time, but not overly so and see what happens. My TB plate synch was way off, so that might help things a bit too. Thanks for your help again. Later.

JC
Hi Thanks for the input. Everything you mentioned sure make sense. I have decided to go with the 2007 fjr. My wife and I have been planning a trip from Fla. To Maine for the leaf cchange and the altitude won't effect me on that part. I've bought a slew of Farkels which I need to start getting installed. I did call the regional rep for Yamaha in Cal. and we talked at lenth. I truely think Yamaha is in the process of trying to make good on the situation and a fix is in the works. Other years arn't doing it so it shouldn't be rocket science. If you ever get an urge to ride to Mexico give me a shout and we will ride to Cuernavaca together. Thanks for the shout Catman2

I have decided to go with the 2007 fjr.
Welcome to the family. Since emissions requirements don't change until 2008, I also don't see why the heck Yamaha can't just quickly fix the problem, and do some testing on '08 models, which WILL require the tougher standards.

Hey, thanks for the offer, but after traveling to San Miguel de Allende last year as part of a 3-week tour (car, of course), no way in hell I'd travel to Mexico City in my bike. I just learned I have a cousin with a bike who lives there; that would be the only way, and only if he offers it. My brother has a condo in Polanco, and rides bikes here, but says it'd be suicidal to ride a bike there. And he's used to the traffic. You're a brave man indeed. Best of luck, and hope you enjoy your trip. Take care.

JC

Hello All,

I have a 2007 that just crossed the 1,000 mile mark. I live at ~5,000 feet above sea level. In the first few hundred miles or so it seemed to have a slight hesitation in the lower RPM's (1,500 - 2,700), that slight hesitation is getting worse and is now pretty "jerky".

I have been following this thread, and it appears that Yamaha knows about the problem and is working on a fix. Should I just wait for the fix, call Yamaha, etc... I already mentioned it to the service dept. when I had the 600 mile service done, they said "runs normal".

What should I do?

Thanks,

Jack

Jackplanet514

Report the problem. Get it in writing and make an issue out of it. The fix will come and the squeaky wheel gets oiled first.

Good Luck BBQ

Jackplanet514
Report the problem. Get it in writing and make an issue out of it. The fix will come and the squeaky wheel gets oiled first.

Good Luck BBQ
Good advise BBQ, I have talked to several techs and dealers working on this problem and it seems the fix is in the making and should be available to everyone within max a two month time frame. Thanks to everyone on the forum for such great info. on all technical issues it's great. CATMAN2

Went up the local mountain today for the first time on my 2007 FJR1300A and had a bad batch of bucking and surging both ascending and descending between 6700 foot elevation and sea level.

If I had to live with that bucking bronco on every mountain ride I would consider trading the motorcycle in. (Rather just get it fixed!)

Any word on the fix yet??? Huh? Huh? hug?

Thanks

Went up the local mountain today for the first time on my 2007 FJR1300A and had a bad batch of bucking and surging both ascending and descending between 6700 foot elevation and sea level.
If I had to live with that bucking bronco on every mountain ride I would consider trading the motorcycle in. (Rather just get it fixed!)

Any word on the fix yet??? Huh? Huh? hug?Thanks
Won't give you a hug... but I'm having my dealer keep his ear to the ground, doing weekly checks with Yama. We're all part of the waiting game.

Any word on the fix yet??? Huh? Huh? hug?Thanks
Won't give you a hug... but I'm having my dealer keep his ear to the ground, doing weekly checks with Yama. We're all part of the waiting game.
Well, I am going to Red River/Taos the second weekend of Sept and I sure hope they have a fix by then as I do not want to put up with the surging etc as on my previous trip. It is a great bike but this sure spoils riding in the mountians. If they do not have the fix ready I guess I will ride my Harley, but the FJR is sure more fun in the curves.

BINGO...I mentioned at the very begining of this thread that I had some info from Yamaha about what was actually causing this "surging". However I was told to keep quiet. However with the enthusiasm bit you are starting to get a little warmer!

BINGO...I mentioned at the very begining of this thread that I had some info from Yamaha about what was actually causing this "surging". However I was told to keep quiet. However with the enthusiasm bit you are starting to get a little warmer!
Oh good grief. Please note the date on the post below. At the time Yamaha still could not duplicate the problem and was calling it internet hysteria:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23107

Dunno how you have so much insider info and no one else does, and why you think you should "keep it quiet".. I think the membership would certainly like to know what you supposedly know. Or there's smoke and no fire?

I've had no issues with my '07 FJR here in Interior Alaska because there are no major hills to speak of...nor should you be the focus of other's frustration by remaining silent to some supposed secret...but if something you've been allegedly told might save another rider's bike, their health, or passenger's safety then by all means share it (as in: open the throttle to reset the ECU, or pull the clutch, kill the engine, and restart it, etc.)...you'll never forgive yourself if harm comes to others because of some secret crap or speculation an unknown second party may have shared with you alone, for whatever their reason...what do you gain from that behavior besides supposedly being a leg up on the the rest?...the real issue is not you for starting a rumor, but in my opinion, it's Yamaha or their employees potentially withholding information that could help save property, prevent personal damage, and maintain the value of our motorcycles.

Think about it.

Gary in Fairbanks