AM/FM?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNS

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for an AM/FM radio that can be ooked into an Autocom or Starcom for use witrh helmet speakers. I'd really like to go with an automotive style radio with a remote control and external antenna but the only place to fit something this large seems to be in a tankbag.

Anyone care to suggest something? I know that some Walkmans have AM/FM but wonder about their reception range.

Any typical auto head unit could function on a motorcycle, but they are heavy and bulky for the purpose.

You'd probably be better served by finding a small radio unit meant for runners, then mounting it somewhere accessible and routed back to the autocomm. I got one of these small radios for work that runs for over a week on a single AAA, and is maybe the size of a zippo.

If you're really interested in a full automotive head unit, post up and I'll give you further suggestions/details.

I'm looking for suggestions for an AM/FM radio that can be ooked into an Autocom or Starcom for use witrh helmet speakers. I'd really like to go with an automotive style radio with a remote control and external antenna but the only place to fit something this large seems to be in a tankbag.
Anyone care to suggest something? I know that some Walkmans have AM/FM but wonder about their reception range.

The new Zune's have MP3 player and FM tuner in one unit.

JW

Any typical auto head unit could function on a motorcycle, but they are heavy and bulky for the purpose.
You'd probably be better served by finding a small radio unit meant for runners, then mounting it somewhere accessible and routed back to the autocomm. I got one of these small radios for work that runs for over a week on a single AAA, and is maybe the size of a zippo.

If you're really interested in a full automotive head unit, post up and I'll give you further suggestions/details.
I'm open to specific suggestions for smal portable radios. However, an automotive unit would be preferable.

If you're serious about installing an auto headunit, here are the bare minimums.

#1- go for a "marine" headunit. They makes the same style units specifically for boats, with circuit boards that help prevent corrosion. They still aren't waterproof, but they do make enclosures that are, and many have waterproof wired remote controls.

#2- carefully evaluate the power usage of the head unit, as the FJR doesn't have much room to spare. Since you'll be running through an autocomm, finding a unit with only preamp outputs, no internal power amp, will be best. These are typically more expensive/higher quality units, and may not even be available in marine versions.

#3- you defiantly want a pre-amp output for going to the autocomm, but most head units will have these now adays.

#4- due to the head unit requiring constant power to store radio addresses, clock, settings, etc, your tankbang will need to be a semi-permanent install. (or wherever you choose to mount the radio) You'll need to run two +12v power lines to the radio, one constant and one switched with ignition. Keep an eye on how charged the battery stays.

past that it should be pretty straight forward, but if you have any questions...

JW

No , they don't. They have a MP3 player, and an option to add XM radio, not FM. Which brings up the question why not get a XM radio instead, the units are very small and fairly cheap now.

KM

JW

No , they don't. They have a MP3 player, and an option to add XM radio, not FM. Which brings up the question why not get a XM radio instead, the units are very small and fairly cheap now.

KM
May want to double check your info......... KNIFEMAKER

This is what I use-tough, small, feature loaded, and avail for around $50 all over. Aerostich even sells it, kind of bike designed one could say.

DT-200V_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this one.

PasnasonicRF-SW50.jpg

Panasonic RF-SW50. I just strap it around the front brake reservior. Sounds awesome through the Autocom, but FM reception is typically lousy. I haven't done the antenna mod yet, but I might try it soon. Wrap a 24 ga wire around the headphone plug ground and make it 30" long. It's supposed to give excellent recption.

XM radio, with an Autocom is what I use. If you get an accessory shelf, its' pretty easy to set up. On my FJR I have XM radio, GPS (Garmin 276c), and radar detector all mounted on the shelf. The XM radio works great, The only time it really cuts out is when you go under a bridge or in really dense woods, but it comes right back on after you are clear of the obstruction. With a radio you will constantly be going in and out of range if you do any kind of long distance riding.

DCH

This is what I use-tough, small, feature loaded, and avail for around $50 all over. Aerostich even sells it, kind of bike designed one could say.
Do the batteries last multiple days, Rad? And how's the FM reception?
Batteries are good for at least 24 hours of running time, I tend to replace them early rather than when they quit, so I can't be totally accurate. It has Auto Shut Off, every hour you must turn it back on. Reception on the good stations here is roughly 45 miles FM, AM tends to pick up ignition noise, but is workable. The TV is handy for my ride into work, picking up the news and traffic is a plus. I have a set of speakers in my helmet, and have used, but don't need, a battery powered amp like the Boostaroo
B000BGT144.01-A3B9RJKTLZ285S.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
for better volume. The Sangean came highly recommended, and I can confirm it is a great unit for the dough, well suited to life on a bike.

XM radio, with an Autocom is what I use. If you get an accessory shelf, its' pretty easy to set up. On my FJR I have XM radio, GPS (Garmin 276c), and radar detector all mounted on the shelf. The XM radio works great, The only time it really cuts out is when you go under a bridge or in really dense woods, but it comes right back on after you are clear of the obstruction. With a radio you will constantly be going in and out of range if you do any kind of long distance riding.
DCH
Unfortunately XM radio won't bring in any local radio stations which is specifically what I'm looking for. Particularly when commuting to and from work on the bike. Besides music, I like to get local news and weather.

I can't believe how overpriced some cycle accesories are. I found some tiny digital AM/FM radios in clearance bin at local electronics store. Each were priced at $2.99. I bought two and each came with tiny ear insert speakers. I am aware is illegal to ride with speakers inserted in ear, so I dissassembled the micro speaker and used mesh tape to adhere to ear cutout on my helmets. Clear FM Stereo for $ 2.99 or pay hundreds? Now looking for a "mini" CB is my next search.

Well here is my $.02,

I use a Sony AM/FM CD-RW and MP3 Walkman that has TV and Weather band recieve. It has a 120 second skip protection and honoestly I have never heard it skip because of vibrations or bumps in over 20k miles. It fits nicely in my tank bag and has a remote control fob. Once you memorize the fob's jog button and other control buttons, the fob is COOL! From the fob I have a 3 foot stereo link cord back to my Star Com, but I don't futz with the Star Com's volume because I can change it on the CD's fob! AM reception sucks because the sparks plugs on the bike are NOT resistor type and put out a bunch noise, but FM, TV and Weather band is very good! I have found that if I let the fob lead and the line cord back to the Star Com droop and run to the other side of the tank bag, reception is almost as good as a car reciever. I got the player from Target for about $64.00 USD. They are hard to find in stores but I really, really like my setup. Now, if Sony would make this player with a Sirrus or XM reciever, that would be Schweeeet!

Violione