Am I being too ambitious?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRJ Jc

Reaction score
I'm planning to go visit my brother up North this summer at the end of June. This would be my first touring long distance motorbike and I was wondering if I was being too ambitious. I'm used to fart'ing around on a few off road bikes for a few hours here and there but nothing like the distance below.

Here are the details of the trip:

Day 1 - solo ride

- 451 Miles

Day 2 - ride with dad

- 315 Miles

I haven't even driven the bike once yet however, I will be riding almost every other day starting at the end of next month.

Bike currently has 0 miles on it. Am I asking for trouble riding a brand new bike for that long, should I wait until I get all the kinks out?

Would appreciate your thoughts before I share this idea with my wife. (she will be leaving a few days later then me, and taking a plane)

That is not a huge distance but it is hard for someone else to judge your comfort level and riding skills...

That is not a huge distance but it is hard for someone else to judge your comfort level and riding skills...
Take my word for it.. I'm the Sh*t!! kidding aside...

I have alot of learning to do and I wanted to make sure I wasn't asking for trouble. I'm quite the relaxed rider when it comes to my nerves but I am a very alert, cautious and observant rider. I know that might not mean much but I wanted to hear from a few experienced riders on their toughts. And yours being that the distance is not huge makes me feel better.

Jeff's right, of course

I didn't have all that many miles (TOTAL) under me when I went to CFR from NB in June. My bike's been lowered and I had cut foam out of my seat. I DID buy and install a ZUMO 660 that I ended up trusting only when I knew where I was going :glare: . My only other farkle was a $10 Crampbuster

Yes, I was intimidated by the fact that the biggest trip I'd ever done was a 1500 km 3-day weekend. AND by reading Forum posts by those intrepid LD riders who are farkled up the ying-yang.

I had taken ONE (roughly) 300 km round-trip ride (broken up by an hour lunch) about a week and a half before we left and couldn't WAIT to get off that bike. I wondered how I'd ever manage the 930 kms planned for Day One -Fredericton, NB to Manotick, ON. I was bagged but I did it. I wasn't crazy about getting started the next morning so we didn't leave until around 10 or 1030.

Made it to Sault Ste Marie on Day Two - about 820 kms.

Longest day was on ride home; Kenora to SSM = 1205 kms.

I was excited as hell and apprehensive as hell starting out. I wasn't sure I could do this trip - mentally or physically, and about 350 kms in, riding through Maine, I thought "WTF?! we have to go clear across the continent!"

All that said.... after that WTF?! moment, I LOVED every minute of it. Even the 5-degree, drizzly days through South Dakota (with no heated gear). And I'd do it again in a heartbeat (except I'll have heated gear next time!)

Good luck with whatever you decide. PM me if you wish

ME

Disclaimer: I HAVE DONE NO LONG DISTANCE TOURING (Yet).

This season I plan to start. 500 mile days is my jump off point.

This is after I replaced the stock seat with a Russell (my ass is already thanking me).

Grip puppies to increase the thickness of the throttle, and added a throttle lock.

I have bad knee's so I added highway pegs (That I've not needed with 200 mile local days to this point). I know I will appreciate them when I do a real day on the FJR.

I still need (want) a top box, an emergency kit, and real riding boots (to replace goverment issue) before I head out map in hand.

Assuming your healthy. A 500 mile day might (or maybe not) have your butt complaining? If your used to a 2X4 motocross seat, you might be in heaven with the FJR stocker. But without knowing if the stock seat is going to work out for you. I would at a minimum wear compression shorts, and carry or put on a sheepskin seat cover.

Think about the bikes break in also.

Just my VERY un-edgemicated .02

Depends on the individual, their ass and the stock seat, and a bunch of other variables. The bike certainly is likely not the weakest link as it loves to gobble up miles.

I'm probably not normal, but I put about 600 miles on mine around locally, changed the oil, then put 1,000 miles on it in 24 hours. My previous long day was probably 300 miles before that. Only thing I wish I had after the fact and was a little sore was from lack of a throttle lock and a seat more compatible with my butt.

If you can stand riding a whole tank of fuel without stopping....doing two or three isn't twice as hard. You figure out within the first 100 miles or so if you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a joke?

315 or 451 miles?

I've taken craps that have been harder than riding 451 miles.

Quit talking like a little girl. Man up and just do it. And leave your little security blankey at home for crying out loud.

You'll have to do at least one overnight trip, with a minimum of 300 miles per day to have a clue what matters to you and what doesn't.

Something I don't quite understand... What happened to Days 3 & 4, commonly referred to as the return trip???

IMHO You should at least get the initial 600 miles on the bike and that first oil change performed, before heading out on multi-day journey. I picked up my bike on Wednesday and made the appointment for the 600-mile checkup for Friday. It had 800 on it when I rolled in Friday morning.

:)

I'm with Scooter, man up! Plus, throw the old lady on the back too. She'll be quick to point out what changes you need to make. (j/k of course, you do need more experience before taking on a passenger.)

I'm planning to go visit my brother up North this summer at the end of June. This would be my first touring long distance motorbike and I was wondering if I was being too ambitious. I'm used to fart'ing around on a few off road bikes for a few hours here and there but nothing like the distance below.
Here are the details of the trip:

Day 1 - solo ride

- 451 Miles

Day 2 - ride with dad

- 315 Miles

I haven't even driven the bike once yet however, I will be riding almost every other day starting at the end of next month.

Bike currently has 0 miles on it. Am I asking for trouble riding a brand new bike for that long, should I wait until I get all the kinks out?

Would appreciate your thoughts before I share this idea with my wife. (she will be leaving a few days later then me, and taking a plane)
some others will differ, but especially on your first long ride, take someone with you...preferrably another rider that has more experience that you

personally, I don't like to tour alone and try hard to find another rider to go along...even if part way...many times I ride 1/2 day to get to their starting point and then keep going from there

It's obvious that the firm belief is true there is strength in numbers and a buddy system is a real good thing

just my 1.5 cents,

Mike in Nawlins'

WHO DAT !

Definitely try to get the 600 miles on the bike before the trip. Get the service done and then let it rip. My only concern with heading out on a long trip for your first ride is: breakin. I was always told to vary your rpms during breakin and avoid stretches on constant RPM. Were you planning on running slab or back roads?

Is this a joke?
315 or 451 miles?

I've taken craps that have been harder than riding 451 miles.

Quit talking like a little girl. Man up and just do it. And leave your little security blankey at home for crying out loud.
Yeah. That many miles was a typical weekend in the canyons on the GSX-R just a couple of years ago when I lived in CA and I'm old enough to be your father. If you were here, I'd slap you.

I'm with SkooterG - 451 miles? pfft

Unless your avatar is a pic of your son, you'll probably going to get to your dads and want to keep riding anyway. He'll be wise to have a cold beer waiting & steak on the BBQ so you actually show-up.

I'd say this is certainly doable, but get a crampbuster or throttle rocker cuz the throttle return spring is notoriously strong.

Definitely try to get the 600 miles on the bike before the trip. Get the service done and then let it rip. My only concern with heading out on a long trip for your first ride is: breakin. I was always told to vary your rpms during breakin and avoid stretches on constant RPM.

+1

Once you get it broken in you should have a better idea of what you may want to change up with the bike. Definitely don't take off on a long trip without breaking it in properly though.

Now how to break in has been debated a lot, I'll leave that to the experts ;)

Get out and ride as much as possible before you leave for the trip. Make sure your tires are good and you pack as little as possible but include whatever you need for the trip. Take water and drink as often and as much as possible.

Don't let these candy butts tell you the stock seat is no good. Just get in as much seat time as possible in advance and you'll be fine.

One thing nobody has bothered to ask (including the macho hard core guys giving you a hard time) is what kind of roads you plan on traveling on. If you'll be riding on limited access highways and can drone along at 80+ mph then 400 miles is a pretty easy day. OTOH, if you'll be taking all secondary (or worse) roads and riding at ~50 mph, averaging only 45 mph with stops then it might be a bit more taxing.

It kind'a depends on the objective of your trip. I'm what you might call a recreational touring rider. I do not commute. When I go somewhere on the bike, the trip itself is usually the objective more so than the actual destination. So I almost never ride on the interstate, since to me that is not as entertaining. A 400 mile day can be 9 or 10 hours of saddle time.

In your circumstance the day you are riding solo to meet your Dad you'll probably blast there in 5-6 hours. Then the shorter ride with your Dad may take all day.

My .02 Cents worth,

A must have will be a crampbuster. Clicky

Get some riding miles under your belt before you take off. You should get to know your bike. She's a top heavy beast and you need to get to know her.

Another suggestion which hasn't been mentioned is the FJR assistance list. It would be a wise decision to join and carry this with you. If you get stuck it's possible someone can come to your aid. Mine is always in the bike.

As usual something to drink along the way to stay hydrated and snacks too.

Dave