Am I being too ambitious?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FRJ Jc,

I just skimmed over your 90 posts and I've gotta say; "I don't know" (if you're being too ambitious)

You seem reasonable. There must be a basis for your apprehension. How much experience do you have riding?

Is the FJR your first bike? I would advise against the FJR as a first bike and would certainly advise against pushing yourself on such a powerful (and heavy) bike.

450 miles is not far on a bike you are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable, and I sense that you are not, don't do it. You will fatigue faster and could end up in trouble as a result.

Is this a joke?
315 or 451 miles?

I've taken craps that have been harder than riding 451 miles.

Quit talking like a little girl. Man up and just do it. And leave your little security blankey at home for crying out loud.
Wow!

I'm planning to go visit my brother up North this summer at the end of June.
800 miles.. Milton.. so you riding to Thunder Bay then.

You've got a lot of good advice here, all good. Once broken in, your FJR will blaze 800 miles like its nothing. Stop sweating it and just do it. Hell, if I'm back from CFR at the end of June, call me when you come through Sudbury and I'll ride up to Wawa or something with ya and hold your hand :D

Like what's been said before. Get your 600 miles and oilsss change done on her a few days before your longer trip.

Then take off on your trip.

Assy too think about:

Taller windshield

throttle lock

airhawk large pillion pad optional

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought, you should be fine since you are breaking it up and getting some rest in between. Point of mention: What FredW said/questioned is worth a ton...The terrain and obstacles on the road will eat at you a bunch. Pulling long stretches on open higway at speed is pretty easy with some tunes and good hydration and well planned stops. It's a short trip, but take heed to this if you like:

-Post on the forum your concerns; solicit ideas'''''You see you nailed that one without anyone telling you to :yahoo: :yahoo:

-Plan the trip as though it's an baby IBA ride.

-Use the steps and planning procedures of the IBA 25 steps; just to get you mentally and physically prepared. (Don't overkill it)

-Read a lot of ride reports. This really helps the mental part of any first distance ride..knowledge of expecation is king.

-Since you will be getting the bike, and the trip is in June, put some miles on the bike; make it your commuter and get totally familiar with the machine. You don't wanna be hearing funny stuff and having that taking your focus away from navigating the roads.

-Climate is the largest challenge; prepare to keep yourself hydrated.

-Don't overpack with clothes--it's very easy to over do this one.

-Each stop during the trip, make the necessary assessments; plan on sight-seeing something if its something worth while on the way, in this great country; theirs gotta be something that can give you a breather/relaxation moment...(if you need it) walk a local mall or outlet center...if you need.

*Opinion; short day trips like these two day jaunts; seat may not be the greatest issue; buy a pair of biking trunks; they'll do wonders, and cost a ton less..besides you need to know your stock seat tolerence so when you do get a custom in the future, you can tell the difference...whether you got your money's worth.

**Let your first leg be your longest leg; listen to the tunes and take in the scenery...(open highway that is)

**Being a new rider of this machine; you'll still be totally "stoked", the excitement adrenaline will still be running wild in your newly born FJR veins...this is a plus, will keep you alert.

Hope this helps; Get to reading those Ride Reports.

One thing I have noticed about myself , 500 in the first day is easy the 2nd i drop off a bit and by the 3rd day I am at 300-350. That seems to be my "long" comfort level.

I'm probably not normal...
:rolleyes:

Is this a joke?
315 or 451 miles?

I've taken craps that have been harder than riding 451 miles.

Quit talking like a little girl. Man up and just do it. And leave your little security blankey at home for crying out loud.
Don't sugar-coat it Skootey. Speaking of your a** burning, FJR Jc...see any flames round back there? :unsure: Calling President dCarver to administer balm....

Thanks for the razing and the tips guys! :)

I will be riding to Geraldton, taking highway 400, to highway 69 then 144 to Timmins in the first leg, second leg will be highway 11 all the way to Geraldton. 400 is alright, not sure about highway 69 though as I haven't been down that road for awhile, same with the 144. Speed limit on most of these roads will vary from 50,55 and 60 mph.

I do plan on riding the bike as much as possible before the trip. Just purchased the crampbuster a few minutes ago on ebay. :) I can't speak from experience but I think the FJR's seat sure as hell beats my mountain bike seat. I used to race in 8 Hr and 24Hr (tag team) mountain bike races for the past 8 years.

Good tip on the hydration pack. I'm only 5'8" not sure I will need a new windshield but I will see after the first month of riding, will still be cold in April, great tme to test it out.

I've ridden motorcycles for the past 17 years but nothing like an FJR. Mostly dirt bikes and dual purpose bikes, nothing like the vstorm or a KTM. Biggest and street only bike was a Shadow 1100 but that's been awhile ago. Never did anything more then 160 miles in a day.

Another suggestion which hasn't been mentioned is the FJR assistance list. It would be a wise decision to join and carry this with you. If you get stuck it's possible someone can come to your aid. Mine is always in the bike.
consider signing up for some type of roadside assistance that includes motorcycles

at this time, I use the AMA membership (google) with autopay which provides free roadside transportation to the nearest dealership. The kicker, as I understand it, is it doesn't have to be a Yammy store.

https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/roadride/motow.asp

Longest I've done in a day is about 700 from Denver to Ely, NV. For our upcoming cross-country trip, I'm anticipating at least 500/day. But during my spring break I want to get together with my buddy and have a couple-day shake-down trip to test out audit equipment and timing / mileage: For example, up at 6 AM, on the road by 7, stop for lunch, then break at 6 or 7 PM--see what that looks like in terms of mileage and stamina.

(But really we shouldn't be having this conversation in the "Iron Butt" forum. These guys will think we're pussies (and I think they're nuts :glare: ). Well, you saw what one un-named person said above, whose avatar begins with a Skoot and ends with an erG.) :rolleyes:

There's been much good information posted here.

I'd add:

Stop and get off the bike every hour or hour and a half. 15 minutes of stretching, walking, and standing are all good things and will help you adjust your thoughts and refocus before getting back on the bike.

+1 on the hydration.

Seriously, even with a mixture of roads (some 4-lane, some two lane, some occasional twisty and fun) is still no problem.

The bike can do it....the rider is the issue. Do the break in, spend some time getting to know your FJR, take some weekend trips (600 mile round-trip). You'll find what is needed to make it better....or maybe it'll be just fine.

Being some what of a FNG all I can say is do it. My first trip was from CA to CO. It was one of my best vacations I've taken. Of all the farkles and gear I got, the throttle lock is the best item I added. I can't imagine holding the throttle for 3,000 miles. You'll do fine and it will be a blast. Just pack ur necessities. Happy Riding

Lots of great advice given so far. My 2 pennies....

Having come from the sportbike world, the FJR is very comfortable to me. The seat is fine, as is leg room and handlebar position. Last fall, I did a 500 mile day, and borrowed a buddy's CrampBuster. Very worthwhile, and I need to get one. Without that, I'm guessing my throttle hand may have been sore or tired by the end of the day. (Even with all that adolescent muscle conditioning....) The 500-mile day was almost entirely 4-lane, which I rarely do, but with the right mindset, it was still a nice day. When I got home, I felt like I could have easily gone another couple hundred miles. For the record, the usual ride for my buddies and I is a 200-to-300 mile day of the twistiest stuff we can find. Western Wisconsin's finest.....

Go, do it, enjoy the ride. You'll have a blast. And give us all a ride report when you get back, so you can prove some of us wrong.....

Thanks for the razing and the tips guys! :)
I will be riding to Geraldton, taking highway 400, to highway 69 then 144 to Timmins in the first leg, second leg will be highway 11 all the way to Geraldton. 400 is alright, not sure about highway 69 though as I haven't been down that road for awhile, same with the 144. Speed limit on most of these roads will vary from 50,55 and 60 mph.
The 400 is 4 laned all the way to Parry Sound = No problem once you get passed Barrie. 69 you'll enjoy, lots of scenery but the hwy is rough in spots. Expect to hit a bit of construction in June as well. 144 to Timmins - listen up here. Thats' a dangerous stretch of Hwy. No shoulders and aging pavement. It's also the heart of moose country. Get a vehicle in front of you and not a transport. Follow them at a safe distance. Stop for fuel and a bite at the watershed (you'll know it when you come to it ;)

Now, let me make a suggestion. Come up through Sudbury and then head west on 17 to the Sault, then North. Ya, it's a little bit longer, but the ride up Superior is FANTASTIC, the hwy is much better, less truck traffic, more chances for fuel. It's just an all around better ride. Or, do it on your return route. I absolutely garuntee you'll be stopping a lot for pics.

You got the crampbuster... Consider your seat. I don't know about the gen 2 seats, but I squirm after

only 300 miles on my stock. Got a "Day-long" and now BBG's are easy without seat issues. I found if

you LOVE riding the way I do, the miles melt away too fast. One of my first LD rides was a 100ccc. I

went through doubts too. It is natural. But that mileage I would not be too concerned with (Unless I was

pushing the bike) I am currently reading "Going The Extra Mile" by Ron Ayres. Great book for tips

about equipment, conditioning, planning and overall extending your capabilities. Consider the read.

Have a great ride! And "NO" you are not too ambitious. But beware: you might catch a bug... Then

YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Bike is like a pair of shoes. Get it set up to fit you and you can ride for a long time. If it doesn't fit a short ride can be painful. My first longish ride was to the 05 CFO, a distance of 500 miles. Damn seat was killing me. Got a Russell Day Long and the next year went over 1,300 in less than 24 and was quite comfortable. Also had the luxury of a Smitty installed cruise control which helps.

I crashed the FJR and am currently on a R1200 GSA and it fits me very well. Don't need an aftermarket seat and the throttle does not have the spring pressure and have taken some long rides on it and am comfortable. I just use an "O" ring between the grip and bar end and it works fairly well for a throttle lock.

I almost always get up then ride for 2 - 3 hours, have breakfast, ride for 2 - 3 hours, get gas etc. Helps break up the day and the miles go by. One more thing that I didn't notice or overlooked, if you have XM, Ipod, etc. it helps the miles go by and at least ear plugs. Not nearly as tiring.

Chester

Now, let me make a suggestion. Come up through Sudbury and then head west on 17 to the Sault, then North. Ya, it's a little bit longer, but the ride up Superior is FANTASTIC, the hwy is much better, less truck traffic, more chances for fuel. It's just an all around better ride. Or, do it on your return route. I absolutely garuntee you'll be stopping a lot for pics.
I'll second that. That was the last leg of our longest day coming home from CFR. We had planned to stop at Wawa for the night (just over 900 kms from Kenora) but by the time we got there - around 1830ish - the temp had dropped about 10 degrees and it was so damned foggy and bleak, we rode the length of the town, stopped for a chat, and decided to make a run for the Sault.

Amazingly, 17 was LOUSY with transport trucks from Kenora to Wawa but I don't think we saw 3 trucks on the eastern side of the Lake. And the scenery was fabulous.

We had planned to stop at Wawa for the night (just over 900 kms from Kenora) but by the time we got there - around 1830ish - the temp had dropped about 10 degrees and it was so damned foggy and bleak, we rode the length of the town, stopped for a chat, and decided to make a run for the Sault.
Wawa isn't much better in the sun LOL! Stop, see the goose, snap a pic 'n run (oh and FILL UP!)

Pict0825.jpg

Amazingly, 17 was LOUSY with transport trucks from Kenora to Wawa but I don't think we saw 3 trucks on the eastern side of the Lake. And the scenery was fabulous.
Well their's a reason for that, their really no other choice west of Nipigon. Most of the truck traffic takes the northerly route east (Hwy 11) as its straight, flat and easier to drive a truck on. This is the route the OP wants to take :russian_roulette:

You can have scenery like this going up Superior:

Pict0787.jpg

Or like this cutting across the Tiaga:

Pict0730.jpg

We had planned to stop at Wawa for the night (just over 900 kms from Kenora) but by the time we got there - around 1830ish - the temp had dropped about 10 degrees and it was so damned foggy and bleak, we rode the length of the town, stopped for a chat, and decided to make a run for the Sault.
Wawa isn't much better in the sun LOL! Stop, see the goose, snap a pic 'n run (oh and FILL UP!)

Pict0825.jpg
:D Can hardly see The Goose in this shot!

579375167_QJZZf-M.jpg

Longest day was on ride home; Kenora to SSM = 1205 kms. ME
Now I see why we got a day behind you! You see we took two days to go that distance. When we left CFR we gave you a half day head start. :rolleyes:

Our's was Winnipeg to Thunder Bay... Thunder Bay to Sault ste Marie