Am I being too ambitious?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice is first thing in the spring get out a ride.... You will find that the distance to talk about will be funny after a while. But start off small and work your way there.... There is a lot of people on here started the same way.

You never get to run the Boston marathon if you don't start small.

:D Can hardly see The Goose in this shot!
579375167_QJZZf-M.jpg
Oh great, now we've summoned Barb...

Thanks for the tips.

I'm not a fan of the 144 but everytime I head back to Timmins (hometown) I go up highway 11, the North Bay way. It's not bad but just alot of 4 lane roads. Thought of changing things up a little on the 144. Some good twisties and and ups and downs. Was planning to stop at Joe's Halfway. Butit's true not many rest stops along thatt route. hmmm.. something to think about. :)

I think my biggest concern right now, is.. will I have enough time to get familiar with the bike. I might end up moving my trip in Aug as I REALLY want to do this. Once I get the bike, I will practice a few long rides and have many slow maneuvre practice days in the empty parking lots.

I take this bike thing quite seriously, seriously enough not to take the fun out of out of it though. I very much respect the sport. All these tips are great, I appreciate it. That's what I love about this culture, always willing to share and help one another. :)

[so, is this stopping the moto to take a picture of a goose, artificial or real, like a Canadian thing, eh? Just barely have figured out Bubbles and The Trailer Park Boys!
Its arguably the most famous 'big thing on the side of the road' in Canada. Well, except maybe for an old GF of mine. :D

[so, is this stopping the moto to take a picture of a goose, artificial or real, like a Canadian thing, eh? Just barely have figured out Bubbles and The Trailer Park Boys!
Its arguably the most famous 'big thing on the side of the road' in Canada. Well, except maybe for an old GF of mine. :D
Ouch!!!

Well it's weird but there here are a few other big things on the side of the road in Ontario...

Sudbury

big-nickel_18592.jpg

Earlton

bison.jpg

New Liskard:

me_liskeard.jpg

Cochrane:

cochrane.jpg

Moonbeam:

moonbeam.jpg

Vermillion Bay:

bigfoot.jpg

Beardmore:

beardmore.jpg

Dryden:

dryden.jpg

I'm planning to go visit my brother up North this summer at the end of June. This would be my first touring long distance motorbike and I was wondering if I was being too ambitious. I'm used to fart'ing around on a few off road bikes for a few hours here and there but nothing like the distance below.
Here are the details of the trip:

Day 1 - solo ride

- 451 Miles

Day 2 - ride with dad

- 315 Miles

I haven't even driven the bike once yet however, I will be riding almost every other day starting at the end of next month.

Bike currently has 0 miles on it. Am I asking for trouble riding a brand new bike for that long, should I wait until I get all the kinks out?

Would appreciate your thoughts before I share this idea with my wife. (she will be leaving a few days later then me, and taking a plane)
If you've never riden that far it is a challenge. I suggest you first of all break your bike in (500-600miles). Then load your bike up just like you plan on doing during your trip and test ride it. Also don't make any major changes to your bike without testing them out before trip. You can practice by going out and riding 100-150 miles and try not to stop. You do have to condition yourself for long days in the saddle. Good luck!

Lots of good suggestions here. Hydration, clothing, ride, eat, ride.

I think the best bet is to get the bike broke in first and foremost. Get that first oil change and rear end oil changed. Mechanics out of the way.

Get the throttle lock, iPod, and ride!

Might also suggest you go to the IBA web site and read up on LD riding. While you may not be doing a IBA distance ride, the same theories will help. A huge amount of the ride is mental. Once you get past the idea that 400 miles is a big day, 500 becomes easy, then 600 etc.

Oh, and have fun!