Am I lugging it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhead

Reaction score
I've had the '06 JFR AE for a week and 400 miles. I like the bike but my upshifts are still pretty rough. I suspect that I'm shifting too late. According to the manual, I should be in 5th gear by 31 mph. This is a foreign concept for me because my BMW boxers like high RPM and can cruise easily in 4th gear at 50 mph. It does seem to have plenty of power at the low RPM range, but I still have this fear of lugging if I shift too soon.

What do y'all do? Do you just get to 5th ASAP and forget about it?

Sorry if this has been covered. I did a couple searches and didn't find what I was looking for.

You're shifting waaay too early. Your shifts will smooth out at higher rpm. Just ride it like you did your beemer.

Havent seen this topic before but I dont read everything. I would say that 5th by 35 is a bit much. I would say on a 35 mph Rd I would be in 3 or maybe fourth. this will keep you in an RPM range that allows rapid acceleration should you need to. Now if I am on a contry road and I have to slow down to pass through a small community I may coast through in 5th but even then I am likely to down shift at least once.

I have same bike... takes some getting used to. Around town my shift point is +/- 4000 rpm.... the bike'll tell you when it wants to change. Around town it is rare to make it into 5th.

Griff

find you an open stretch of road and play above 6000 rpm's in every gear for a while, you will find your comfort shift spots

I have an '08 and shift around 4K. 35 in 5th to me is a no no but I like to keep the rpms up to keep the oil pressure where it should be. Sometimes I fool around with the idea of 30mph is 3rd, 40 mph is 4th, and anything above 50 mph is 5th. My bike goes into another world when pushed from 5K to 8K. Bottom line: keep the rpms up, you are not going to hurt the motor. Later

Thanks all. I was really surprised to see the recommended shift speeds in the manual. It does seem to shift smoother at low speed, but like I said, I'm afraid it's lugging a bit. I'll take it out this evening and play some more.

BTW, this is a great forum.

Remember, some (if not all) recommendations by the manufacturer are them complying with some obscure law or simply just covering their ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't pay that much attention to the tach unless I'm winding it up tight.

Just riding around I go by how it sounds and feels as to when to up or down shift.

Thanks all. I was really surprised to see the recommended shift speeds in the manual. It does seem to shift smoother at low speed, but like I said, I'm afraid it's lugging a bit. I'll take it out this evening and play some more.
BTW, this is a great forum.
+1 I believe they also want you to baby the bikes so nothing breaks early. Then if you ride them hard 1-2 years later after babying them for a long time more stuff breaks out of warranty. My .02

I have the same bike and I have found that normal seamless shifting can be done between 2,500 to 3,500 rpm with no throttle roll off. The speed of the bike shifting at 2,500 for 1st =15, 2nd =21,3rd =27,4th =34 and 5th=40.

The same speeds for 3,500 rpm = 25, 36, 48, 60, 69 respectively. The lower figures seem to be good points for leisurely, economical around town riding. The higher ones will certainly allow you to move way out in front of the traffic flow. I really question anyone using 5k regularly as this results in the following shift points; 36, 52, 68, 85, 99.

The smoothness of the shift has nothing to do with RPM, it has everything to do with technique and timing. Roll offs are shallow and quick. When you get it down it feels like a CVT!

The manual is wacked. 3500 - 4k shifts for around town. I find a very quick snapp off the throttle, maybe a few hundred rpm drop makes for some very smooth shifts

What, you guys don't short shift with $5 gas? Nifty fifty, baby! ;)

That shifting info if for emissions and mileage figures.

If you're in too tall a gear on an "AE" (like 5th gear in town) will the computer make the clutch slip to take care of it?

If so, I guess -- you really can't be "lugging it"?

Lugging the motor, that is. Wearing-out the clutch prematurely, maybe?

Mr. Soichiro Honda said, "Revs are free." Of course, he was concerned about racing -- but, engines do rev; some, like the FJR, do it nicely.

+1 on third until 35mph around town. Don't think I've ever been in 5th gear at anything less than 40mph. The motor will pull from just off idle but is happiest above 2000rpm and will sing from 4000 until the rev limiter kicks in. It is a bit annoying when the engine is really winding out and then the limiter shuts her down right when she seems to be cooking. Got to shift when you hit the redline or Mama Yamaha pulls your plug and reminds you to be nice to the engine. I guess I would rather be safe than toast my engine. Enjoy the ride. :ninja: