Am I lugging it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're riding around happily shifting with the engine at 2000 rpm, maybe consider trading that puppy in for a scooter and save yerself some money. That FJR motor is meant to rev, mightily at that. Get out and enjoy it. You'll both be happier!

I have the same bike and I have found that normal seamless shifting can be done between 2,500 to 3,500 rpm with no throttle roll off. The speed of the bike shifting at 2,500 for 1st =15, 2nd =21,3rd =27,4th =34 and 5th=40.The same speeds for 3,500 rpm = 25, 36, 48, 60, 69 respectively. The lower figures seem to be good points for leisurely, economical around town riding. The higher ones will certainly allow you to move way out in front of the traffic flow. I really question anyone using 5k regularly as this results in the following shift points; 36, 52, 68, 85, 99.

The smoothness of the shift has nothing to do with RPM, it has everything to do with technique and timing. Roll offs are shallow and quick. When you get it down it feels like a CVT!

Good post..Although I have an 07' 1300A, I shift my other bikes without the clutch at times and the key to smooth shifts are a quick roll-off and shift when acceleration is tapering for the amount of throttle you are using. In other words, don't shift while still under a heavy or even moderate accel load. My old Suzuki Madura feels like CVT also when I shift this way.

Tootalling around town I usually have my revs between 2000 and 3000.

Although the engine pulls well from about 1500, it won't snap you out of trouble until the revs are up a bit. For safety's sake, if in doubt, keep above 3000. Unless the road is very slippery...

You can see speed vs. rpm for all gears by clicking on the graph below.

To play tunes with gearing or tyre size, click here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're riding around happily shifting with the engine at 2000 rpm, maybe consider trading that puppy in for a scooter and save yerself some money. That FJR motor is meant to rev, mightily at that. Get out and enjoy it. You'll both be happier!

Point taken. I'm learning to pretend it's my BMW Boxer, and it seems to like it. I really like this FJR. My shift technique is still a little clunky, but it's getting better. And the speed and handling are awesome.

Point taken. I'm learning to pretend it's my BMW Boxer, and it seems to like it. I really like this FJR. My shift technique is still a little clunky, but it's getting better. And the speed and handling are awesome.
"Proper shifting etiquette of the Yamaha FJR model is maintained when the operator while in 1st gear increases rpm's gently until reaching 4800-5000, then whacking the throttle wide open. Just as the rev limiter mechanism engages, swiftly nick the gear selector to the next higher gear and repeat."

Of course, this should only be performed when there is a clear, straight stretch of road immediatly ahead, and the operator has sufficient experience riding really long, bitchin' wheelies on a 600+ lb motorcycle w/ saddlebags...

:D