Am I out of line? Getting my 16 year old his first ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I promised my mother many years ago that I wouldn't ride a motorcycle until after she passed away.

And then I grew up and realized that life is way to short to let fear stop you from doing the things that you enjoy. I just don't ride to a place if I know she'll be there.

I ride. My wife rides. I cannot wait for my 12 year old son to be old enough to ride, though it scares the shit out of me. I will do everything I can to teach him the "right" things.

Good luck raising funds. And good luck with your wife. I think that will be the most difficult part of your journey.

Seems new riders drop their bikes a lot (or hit curbs, garage walls). A nice used bike for a first time rider seems to take those dents a little easier and helps keep the anger down.

Last edited by a moderator:
The litmus test for me comes down to this. If he would not have had the medical scare/issues, would you be doing this anyway? As I read your post, it seemed to have some influence on your decision. I am not saying it is the wrong decision, I am just checking to see if that "external" influence provided some direction you otherwise may not have taken.

So many times in our lives we make decisions and they are really not "our" decisions. Often times, they are drive. By extemporaneous forces that limit our other choices. Granted this is not the same, but I deal with kids everyday who claim they were forced into a situation that was not their fault. "I couldn't do my homework because..... Joey was talking to me I was just answering his question..... Bobby hit me first....."

Eliminating the medical thing, were you gonna get him a bike? Again, that could also be the best impetus to learn what is really important and to live life. My friend Pants started a whole thread about "We don't get to choose-illuminating the reasons to grab life by the horns and steer it the way you can/want". Additionally, I bought my previous bike after 12 years of no motorcycles after I had just recovered from a near death fall out a tree 28 feet with a running chainsaw, so I have no problems with understanding life is fragile and precious. Maybe I am conflicted because had I not fallen, I doubt I would have went back to motorcycling. But I am a more happy conflicted person who enjoys life more on 2 wheels.

Just my opinion and hope to provide some clarity with the decision. As for your decision not to tell your wife before doing this......hope your spare bedroom or couch is as comfortable as mine! Good luck with that!!!

Me, at 14 - "Dad, I want a dirt bike."

"Son, I'd rather see you a street bike. If you ride a dirt bike you'll end up with multiple injuries that will really bother you later in life and change your quality of life for the worse. If you ride a street bike, you'll just get killed."

I got the dirt bike.

Me, at 16 - "Dad, I want a street bike."

"Son, I'd rather see you on a dirt bike!"

Difficult logic for parents, yes?

I'll echo what (I think) seems to be a consensus:

1. Explain to Mom why you're doing this, as you explained it to us.

2. Get him something that he can control, 300-400cc standard bike.

3. Mandatory training, preferably on the bike from item 2.

4. Insist that he is ATGATT.

5. Require him to ride with the FAMILY -- including Mom in a car, so she can see he's doing the correct things -- for X months/miles/rides.

Best of luck, sir, and I'm sorry we didn't meet in Montrose.

I was 16 when I got my MC license and my first bike (earned the money for it myself at summer job at farms) . Just about a right age to start.

First, I have reached my likes for the day. So likes all around!!!

The question was asked if a motorcycle was in the works for him before this medical scare, and the answer is yes. He has a savings account that he started about 3 months ago for his motorcycle, with the dad's promise of matching dollar for dollar towards his ride. He had saved about $360. Funny thing was, the wife was on board with this. I wonder if she thought he/we would never save enough cash to do it, and now because of the medical scare she wants to do everything in her power to keep him safe, which is understandable, because I am also in that boat. But we can't live in a bubble, and I think the best thing that has come about this thread is that I got a bunch of really good feed back. I think using the bike as a parental tool and teaching ATGATT from the start is really good. When I got my first crotch rocket, I probably could have used some supervision for sure, I am lucky to be here when I look back on things.

I think we can make some really good memories while riding, I can teach and ingrain some good habits before some bad ones even have a chance to start, and I have steered him towards a 300cc used bike. Not too big, and 'used' so if we ding it, not a huge deal.

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I will keep you posted.

Keep in mind, it's life, no one gets out alive. Sooner or later everybody's number is up.

I think the idea of making him take the MSF course and ride with you for a while is a great one. Lot's of folks suggest that he follow you and see how things are done. That's fine for a while but after bit switch roles and let him lead. That way as the elder more experienced rider you can point out areas for improvement.Include some form of communication set up as part of your ATGATT so you can talk to him or mom can talk to him. Put the bike in your name and let him know you reserve the right to snatch the keys if he isn't responsible or living up to his end of the bargain.

Only you know your son and his maturity level. When my stepson was 16 I wouldn't have left him ride my bicycle. He was a thick headed slow learning PITA who finally at age 27 gets it.

Glad to hear he's recovering and has a dad like you! Keep us posted.

Do be aware that all 2015 and 2016 CBR300 models have been recalled and Honda has issued a stop sale order. The crankshaft can break without warning, resulting in rather bad stuff happening. The remedy will be to have the dealer replace the crank.

Ninja 300 anyone? :)

Do be aware that all 2015 and 2016 CBR300 models have been recalled and Honda has issued a stop sale order. The crankshaft can break without warning, resulting in rather bad stuff happening. The remedy will be to have the dealer replace the crank.
Ninja 300 anyone?
smile.png
Interesting, he was looking at Ninja's as well, certainly a comparable ride for sure.

Curious where you got your information, I called the dealer where the CBR300R is that he is looking at, and they were unaware of jany stop sale orders. Or the recall that you posted.

Also the https://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx website says it was updated on the 4th of August and only shows certain units having an issue with the starter relay sealant.

I certainly want to get him a reliable safe ride!

From the website:

VIN:

YEAR: 2015

CATEGORY: MOTORCYCLES

SUB-CATEGORY: SPORT

MODEL: CBR300R

NUMBER OF POTENTIAL RECALLS: 1

LAST UPDATED: AUG 04, 2016

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 15V-439

CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: STARTER MAGNETIC SWITCH RECALL

MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JS9

RECALL DATE: 07/01/2015

RECALL STATUS: VIN/HIN Required

SUMMARY: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2013-2016 MOTORCYCLES. DURING ASSEMBLY OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH, SEALANT MAY HAVE BEEN APPLIED INCORRECTLY WHICH COULD INCREASE RESISTANCE ACROSS THE MAIN FUSE, POTENTIALLY INTERRUPTING THE MOTORCYCLE'S BATTERY VOLTAGE TO THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

SAFETY RISK: AN INTERRUPTION OF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM BATTERY VOLTAGE COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO A) NOT START OR B) STALL WHILE RIDING. IN AN EXTREME CASE, THE INCREASED RESISTANCE AT THE MAIN FUSE COULD CAUSE THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH TO CATCH ON FIRE.

REMEDY:HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOT NUMBER OF THE STARTER RELAY SWITCH AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA MOTORCYCLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-866-784-1870. HONDA'S RECALL NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JS9.

Well I will throw my two cents into the mix.....but everyone already covered all the good advice so I'll just tell my story so you'll know there is more of you out there. I started riding in the woods with my youngest daughter when she was 14, I got her a little XR 100 that she still has actually. We had a blast and she crashed a few times....a couple "good" ones too where she would raise her hand up and call out....."I'm alright!"....lol. Anyway I think the dirt gave her some good experience, when she was getting to driving age she started talking about riding my wife's bike (Suzuki GS500) so I had been wanting to get rid of my dirt bike and get a dual sport anyway, so I bought a XT 225 and she started riding it at 15. She is in the band so she could take herself to school for practice etc which was actually kinda handy because she only had her permit....something she couldn't do with a car since she had to have a licensed driver with her. Anyway there was a whole lot of ride time with her and I in between all this....don't want ya'll to think i just threw her out there in traffic....lol. Anyway after riding the dual sport for several months she got a hankering to try out the Suzuki....I don't think she's ridden the dual sport since! LOL.....She calls the GS "her" bike although deep down she says she is a Honda gal. She would love love to get a CB anything one day, she loves the classic bikes. Anyway we have a blast riding together and she is really a good rider although I think she trusts the tires a little to much.....ok she really enjoys the twisties. ..lol....Anyway like others said only you know the maturity level etc of your son but I think if he's ready go for it! I have to admit I am now finally getting to where I'm not riding her ride when we go riding. As a Dad it is definitely nerve wracking seeing your son/daughter riding a bike. I trust she's a good rider and don't worry about her as much but it's still hard to "let go". Enjoy the ride time with your Son!!

Might I recomend starting off with a dual sport bike. I may get slammed for this but IMO you need to have some dirt experience first. This will give him an advantage on the street. As others have said a lot depends on the maturity of your son.
Dave
This is some good advice. Also take him for a drive and point out all of the things you see in the road that he normally would not care about on 4 wheels. Quality time with the boy at this age will last a lifetime.

Sounds like fun and I would go for it. I started on dirt bikes at a very young age. My family raced motorcycles and others rode motorcycles, so it was normal and probably expected that I ride. When I turned old enough for my own, I was given a Kawasaki 750 LTD. I have rode my whole life on a motorcycle, with my family also, and it means a lot to me. Now I'm older(a lot) and when I see my mom, she always wants me to take her for a ride. Before my Grandmother died, I went to see her and when I pulled in to her house she came out with her jacket on and wanted to go for her last ride. I still have the pictures, and it was a great day.

I see nothing wrong with kids riding as long as they are responsible enough for it. My father is 71 and tells me he misses his bike and that he should rent one and that we should go for a father son trip. We are planning it for the fall.

For me, when I was younger, a motorcycle was the only affordable transportation. I encourage you to help your son, it has created my best memories from my childhood. As for now, I still ride everyday as my bike is my car. I do not own a car, but my wife has one. I have always looked at a bike the same as a car. I also believe that the responsibility of riding makes one mature better because of the dangers of riding.

Have fun with your son!

If you think your son is mature enough then discuss it with your wife and when you two are on the same page, go for it. Don't let it be a wedge in your marriage. Also, I would recommend a used bike for a first bike. It will innevitably get dropped at some point until he gets good and it's a whole lot easier to accept that and it's much cheaper if the bike already has some scratches.

I started out buying my own dirt bike when I was 13 I think and that experience was invaluable when I started riding on the street. I crashed enough to know the value of ATGATT and applied my skills to the road. I like MNFJR05's approach of son riding with dad until 18 so he can teach his son how to ride well, smart, and safely, and from what I could see riding with them at NAFO he's been doing a fine job.

I am of the opinion that NOBODY should start off learning to ride a motorcycle on the street. It is a much better idea to learn to ride a bike off road, and the idea of time spent with your son riding the trails will be MUCH more memorable for both of you than shlepping around town through traffic. You are lucky enough to be living in a part of the country where awesome off-roading is all around you.

The riding skills that you (both) will gain riding off road translate directly to being a safer rider on the road when the time comes, and having mastered the riding part he can concentrate on the lunatics propelling the 2 ton weapons of mass destruction around without having to think about what he's going to do next.

Also, Mom will probably like the idea a lot more than the street bike idea. It's what I did with my son when he was younger. We both had some awesome times together, times I wouldn't trade for anything. And when he started street riding (much later on) I felt a lot more confident in his skills.

More than once I've laughed when I probably should not taking a hotshot street biker out in the dirt for the first time. Often they cannot/will not adapt to tires sliding underneath and are a nervous wreck when they call an end to it.

Latest posts