Another Bike Mag Delusters the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conwest

Reaction score
:( The latest issue of Cycle World compares the new FJR AE against it`s BMW equivalent, R1200GT. Good article actually. Problem is, they summed it up this way: the GT is the best of the breed. They did so mind you, recognising the huge price premium involved. Even so, is it time for a major redo (and not just a makeover) for the FJR? Hey don`t dump on me, I love my FJR...I am just the messenger. :dribble:

Just curious "messenger", What would a complete makeover mean in your mind? Add cup holders, another 100hp, windshield wipers, air brakes? Come on this is one of the best selling ST bikes why does it need a complete makeover? Just my $.02 ;)

-jwilly

:( The latest issue of Cycle World compares the new FJR AE against it`s BMW equivalent, R1200GT. Good article actually. Problem is, they summed it up this way: the GT is the best of the breed. They did so mind you, recognising the huge price premium involved. Even so, is it time for a major redo (and not just a makeover) for the FJR? Hey don`t dump on me, I love my FJR...I am just the messenger. :dribble:
I had the opportunity to buy either the K1200GT OR the FJR. I had drunk the BMW kool-aid and was set to get one 05 or 06, whichever was best. After a bit of research at the urging of a pal, I discovered that in terms of maintenance, reliability, comfort, power, ABS operation, luggage and looks of the bike with luggage off, the FJR wins going away. In performance issues, the FJR is better.

Notice I didn't even mention shitbag exclusive BMW dealers, shitbag service departments, cost of service, availability of parts, aftermarket parts, farklability and value.

Add all that in and the FJR is miles and miles ahead of the K1200GT.

In conclusion, those chardonnay-drinking quadrasectioned roundel humpers at Cycle World can bite my ass.

Scythian.....don't hold it in :( .....let it out. :) ....tell us what you really think.... :lol: ....

You really don't take that shit seriously do you? That's sort of like going to the National Enquirer to see what's really happening around the world.

As other's have said before. Read those comparo's in magazines for entertainment value only.

One says this and one says that depending on whose palm is getting greased. Except the one's that put the FJR first. They are absolute geniuses and you can take what they say as gospel. :)

Oh No!

Say it ain't so. You mean that my FJR that I've been lovin' the crap out for the last three years is no good anymore?! :eek:

Damn! Now I've gotta sell it because of that damn magazine... :angry2: :angry2:

NOT!! :) :) :)

Hey, I was all tied up into the bmw. I couldn't wait to get my k1200GT. I always had the fjr in the back of my head also. Then it came time to put up the money, I picked the fjr. The fjr is the best bargain out there. Who wants to pay 5k+ for a bike that is just considered slightly better than the fjr. I am completly happy with my purchase and I would buy another without hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the problems with the bike mags and comparo's this year is that they only get the AE model from Yamaha, and all the mags have dished the electric clutch. Of course the fact that the people who have bought them really like it doesn't matter to the mag editors. The other thing is that they will never keep naming a model as best after it has been out a few years with minimal changes. After all, they need to get advertising dollars from several different manufacturers so they are never to name one make over another consistantly.

As for me, if I'm going to spend $23 grand for a motorcycle it better not only be far and away the best bike for it's purpose, (the K1200GT is certainly not that) but it better blow me before, during and after I ride it.

This is what I posted yesterday

Well I may be a new guy but here in AUSTRALIA , the number one motor cycle magazine Two Wheels tested the BMW K1200GT se, the Honda ST1300a ABS, and the Yamaha FJR1300AS with auto clutch

" Add up all the scores and the FJR1300 is the winner (thought please get ride of the vibration). narrowly over the BMW . The honda was aconsidered to be a little bland although very functional "

In my opion these bikes are all very capable and I am considering which one to buy . I would not have the auto clucth though, low speed manuvering is inportant and you need as much control as possible which having a manual clutch dose give you .

Real world out the door price is what tells ( not recomended price ) These are Australian dollars

BMW $32,000 ( maybe $500 less ?? ) About $24,000 US

Yamaha about $20,000-$21,000 About $15,000-15,750 US

Honda about $23,000 About $ 17,250 US

Now let's put that into perspective I can have a BMW or Yamaha and a Suzuki Vee strom 650 and about $1000 change ,makes you think dosen't ??

boy am i gald i dont live there . i would be riding a bike wothout a motor. thanks for the post come by more often

boy am i gald i dont live there . i would be riding a bike wothout a motor. thanks for the post come by more often
FYI, the MSRP for the 'base model' '06 FJR in Canada is US$16,821 plus taxes at today's exchange rate. I paid the equivalent of US$14,970 plus taxes of 15% and that was considered an amazing deal. ST1300ABS is priced almost exactly the same.

The BMW, without knowing the exact number is mucho higher. However BMW would be willing to transfer their warranty to Canada for a bike bought in the US. Yamaha and Honda would not.

Quote: " And just for the record, even if the Yamaha had been the stick-shift model and all the accessories were stripped off the GT, the outcome would be the same. The previous FJR set the sport-touring standard but the new K1200GT has clearly raised the bar."---Paul Dean (Cycle World) :dribble: Gentlemen, let the whining resume! :yahoo:

I don't care what they say. I had an opportunity to buy either of the three bikes. I wanted to like the ST1300. I really really did. I'm a Honda guy, what can I say. But every pic I just about ever saw had some guy looking like a dork on one. That thing is just plain scooter-esque.

The BMW got nixed on price, dealer location, and, to a lesser extent, looks.

So, those guys can bite me. I'll take my FJR and a second bike over one BMW any day.

Who cares what anyone says about anything. Are you satisfied with what you have?

Would you jump off a bridge if other people said it was a good idea?

The new BMW may have raised the bar but I WILL NOT pay the price! I love my FJR. The best bargain in Sport Touring hands down.

Tom