Another Bike Mag Delusters the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The K1200GT is ugly. Sorry, but I would feel like a dweeb riding it. It's just fucking ugly. Congratulations, 6 years after the debut of the FJR, BMW (don't worry about the price) finally responds with something that can be considered better by some subjective assholes that kinda have to select the new bike because people are bored of reading about the FJR. Well done BMW...7 years too late though...they used to lead the pack, now they are 6 years behind and still too expensive even though they are no longer the industry inovators.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how the media elite, motorcycle media in this case, would be taken in by the Beemer.

But for those of us more common types who actually have to buy our own motorcycles, learn to live with our decision and stick with it, again, we know the FJR is best. For us.

Having owned 4 BMWs over the years I will say they do have a certain "charm"; my '94 R1100RS was one of my favorite bikes out of the 78 I've owned so far. That said I think the vibes she gave off wouldn't work so well with my increasingly touchy (read pain wracked...) body of today. The lack of dealers and the fairly salty "normal" maint. costs of a BMW don't thrill one's wallet either.

OTOH my '06 FJR, with the exception of the saddle and grips-now with Grip Puppies-is an excellent all around road bike. She is much improved over my '03 "turkey cooker" which was traded for an '02 BMW R1150 GS, which went for an '04 ST 1300zzzzz...uh, Honda. My '06 FJR effectively replaced my second GL1800 as I could no longer handle 800+ #s of bike safely at low speeds thanks to a new hip and weakened leg.

Now if I could ever recover from the @$^$$#@#@ neck operation I had 8+ weeks ago maybe I could actually RIDE my FJR again! So far I've put maybe 20 miles on her in the last 3 months...so forget BMW wins, and ENJOY riding your FJRs! Meanwhile I'll be dreaming, still, of riding mine....sigh....DFO :(

...well I gotta admit, I am somewhat smitten with that new Bavarian machine and chances are I would test the Beemer waters. Except, as designer. mentioned, a (as in one only) dealer is 500kms from me and the maintenance costs scare the crap out of me. Nevertheless...the K1200GT sounds like one helluva riding machine! Even so...I am looking forward to trading my `04 deep cooker in for the `07, no matter what colour it is. Get well soon there Designer., sounds like you`ve been thru the mill. :assassin:

Well, to be fair, this comparision makes alot more sence than the one Motorcyclist did..(Where the Honda ST won????)

If you read the short article, they do acknowledge the wonders of the FJR, adding the BMW and callinng both the " class-leading machines".(.no mention of the Honda here....)

And the did report that most riders preferred the FJR's brakes over the BMW's..so we were not beaten down on everything

At the end we see that the five thousand dolllar more BMW is a bit better than the FJR?...well, it should be for that amount of green. The keyless entry for the sidecases, the availablity of the BMW GPS and the other little "improvements" the BMW has over the FJR do in fact make it sound like a pretty nice ride.

I however can not get over that extra 5 grand, not to mention the flat body work that make the BMW look fat, and well, ugly.

If you do get the BMW, the extra $1400 for the GPS will be well spent.. as it holds the location of every U.S. BMW dealer. A good thing to have considering they are few and far between....My last problem with owning the BMW as a touring machine..finding that elusive dealer while on the road. (Yamaha dealers seem as widespread as a McDonnalds....

KM

Yep. My take is that of the others who concluded that Yamaha sent out only AE's to get them more press. Instead of discussing the differences between it and the base line, it was put head-to-head with the base line's competitors and had it's ass handed to it.

Same problem as MCN magazine's review, the AE test model. How dopey is Yamaha's marketing department anyway? They need to get a clue.