Another PCIII Love Story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
:yahoo: I have a Power Commander on my '02 VTX 1800 so I know the benefits they bring, especially with custom maps. But WOW! The PC on my '06 made an unbelievable difference in low end throttle response. And that's using the supplied map! I'm sure you could wring out even more potential with a custom map. :yahoo:

I just installed the PCIII over the weekend. It took a little over two hours to install and upload the map. The only problem I had during the install was getting the stock connectors unplugged. Once that was done installing the unit was a breeze.

The jerky throttle response at low speed is absolutly gone and the bike runs smoother all the way to the red line.

IMHO it's the best $260 you can sprnd on the FJR.

I have heard nothing but good things about the PCIII. Have you considered trying the "Wally Killburg Smoothness Map?"

W.K. smoothness map

Lots of good reviews about that one.

I have a PCIII on my 04 (just got the bike a week ago) but it is not hooked up. The guy i bought it from said it should work, he just disconnected it because... well I can't really remember why he said he disconnected it...??.. :unsure:

Hope mine still works and just needs to be hooked up. I'm looking foward to feeling the difference once I get 2 hours of spare time to do it.

I have heard nothing but good things about the PCIII. Have you considered trying the "Wally Killburg Smoothness Map?"

I could certainly give it a try...it takes about 5 minutes to upload a new map. However, I assume the map I used was developed on a Dyno with an '06.

Anyone try the Smoothness map on an '06 yet?

I just did a quick compare of the two maps and the Smoothness map is universally richer, especially in the 3-4K rpm range at 20-30% throttle.

I'm interested.

Just a note...

That map was done a bike with some modifications.

There is another one that is supposed to be similar and was desinged on a bone stock FJR.

maps

Look at the bottom of the page and you will find a link for it. You might want to try that one too if your FJR is stock.

My concern with either of those maps is that they were made for '03 FJR's. If ihere have been any changes to the FI system, including the factory mapping, the PCIII map will not be ideal.

Again, I'm assuming the map provided by Dynojet for the stock '06 was developed on a dyno with an '06 FJR.

And the bike does run great with Dynojet's map.

W.K. smoothness map

I have a PCIII on my 04 (just got the bike a week ago) but it is not hooked up. The guy i bought it from said it should work, he just disconnected it because... well I can't really remember why he said he disconnected it...??.. :unsure:

Hope mine still works and just needs to be hooked up. I'm looking foward to feeling the difference once I get 2 hours of spare time to do it.

The maps for pre 06 bikes will not work on 06 bikes. I asked Dynojet about this a while ago and got this response:

The units are totally different. You won't be able to send a map from an

older bike directly to the PC. You will need to use the maps for the 2006

model, or have the unit custom tuned. Let me know if you have further

questions.

Thank you,

Curt Schannen

Dynojet Research

Technical Support

(800)992-4993

There do not appear to be many maps available for 06 bikes that are not stock. I would like to know if anyone is aware of additional maps for the 06 FJR such as the smoothness map or for different exhaust setups.

W.K. smoothness map

The maps for pre 06 bikes will not work on 06 bikes. I asked Dynojet about this a while ago and got this response:

The units are totally different. You won't be able to send a map from an

older bike directly to the PC. You will need to use the maps for the 2006

model, or have the unit custom tuned. Let me know if you have further

questions.

Thank you,

Curt Schannen

Dynojet Research

Technical Support

(800)992-4993

There do not appear to be many maps available for 06 bikes that are not stock. I would like to know if anyone is aware of additional maps for the 06 FJR such as the smoothness map or for different exhaust setups.
Muzzy recently sent me a 2006 map for their full system. I had contacted them about it nearly two months ago and they said they'd send me the 2006 version when they got one developed. 2006 and up are not interchangeable with '05 and earlier maps.

Well, there you have it. I guess the smoothness map can only be used on 03-05 models.
That's not really true. Both the '06 and eariler bikes take a 20x9 map. Even if you couldn't load the older map directly, you could enter the identical values manually in a "new" map for the '06. I think the issue is the changes in the bikes. The smoothness map is optimized for the '03 not the '06.

Again, the supplied map (419-001) really seems to work well on the '06 so why mess with sucess?

Dynojet confirmed my earlier assumption that the '06 map was developed on a dyno with a stock bike:

We take a stock bike and dyno test and tune the machine. This is where the mapping comes from. It is a REAL TIME creation, not a calculation. Let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Curt Schannen

Dynojet Research

Technical Support

I also am very happy with the PCIII on my 06 FJR and only wish that I had put it on sooner.

Throttle response is great and my fuel mileage has actually increased.

I have an '05 with Holeshots and a PCIII. I had tried a few different maps and ultimately had a custom done. Big difference, very happy with the results. But of course the results are only as good as the guy making the map, and my guy was pretty patient.

So after installing the PCIII on my '06 and testing it for the past week here is my take. I LOVE THIS THING. It's like having a whole new bike. This is the first time i was able to lane split on the freeway and not have streaks in my shorts or feel like i was going to loose the rear wheel while laying on the throttle while turning :D

I agree that the throttle abruptness is fixed about 90% with the pciii for low end rpm response. There is still some abruptness, but it's not on/off abruptness like before and is definitely more mangeable. I would agree that this in combination with the Freh H shim or a bigger grip may completely alleviate any/all of the symptoms, but the 90% is good enough for me.

Also, throttle resposne seems more crips and power delivery smoother across the entire rpm...but i may just be imaging that because of how good the low end rpm response is now.

my two bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone seems to think these Power Commander units are great, and I can only assume they are. However, it is hard for me to imagine a motorcycle running or performing better than my stock 2005 FJR. If I were to have a Power Commander unit installed on my bike, would I necessarily need new exhausts or slip ons? I do have a K&N air filter. Also, I have an Audiovox CC unit installed by Smitty. Would that interfere in any way with installation/use of a PCIII unit? What will be the practical advantages and benefits of a PCIII unit on my 2005 FJR? Are there any downsides or disadvantages? Would the dealer do it or would I need to find a tuner shop? Is the warranty affected? Sorry for all the questions but I am pretty much a mechanical novice, having restricted myself to oil changes and installing a Powerlet connection (the apex of my mechanical abilities). Advice welcome.

I have a 2005 FJR and I too was skeptical about the benefits. But believe me, if you install it with the stock map that comes loaded you will never look back. You do not need a tuner to install and setup, the map that comes pre loaded will make your bike absolutely marvel you. You can't believe how lean those things are running. You won't gain any top end HP but between 2k and 7k rpm you will be making ton's more smooth controllable horsepower and roll on torque. That is where they have the bike leaned to the hilt.

I just installed mine several weeks ago and it is still like riding a different motorcycle. It has all the attributes that you love just more where you really feel it. Plus my bike is running cooler, starting faster and where mine used to sound like it had a skip at idle it is now smooth as silk.

Of course I rode mine for 2 years without it and I could have rode it forever the same way, but since I haven't really added anything to my bike I thought it woud be cool to try it.

Now I can never turn back.

BubZ

I installed mine a few hundred miles ago and had the same good results as everyone else. But I couldn't help but wonder how much richer than stock it really was. Yesterday I removed the exhaust header and the insides of the pipes up near the engine were still nice and light gray, looking like a nice fuel air ratio. Not looking at all too rich.

Perfect!