Another PCIII Love Story

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a four-banger today:

1. PCIII install

2. Spiegler clutch line install.

3. Right-sided powelet outlet direct to battery for battery tender.

4. TBS

The PCIII was fairly un-complicated. Thanks Warchild for his convenient photos to accompany the dynojet ones. Between that and the TBS, the bike is glass on a baby's ass smooth. It is a whole new ride. Anyone not having one of these should STOP, DROP, and ROLL over to sportbikeeffects.com and get one ASAP. It seems worth every penny.

Two things I did a little different: I wired the ground back to the ECU ground, and soldered it in. I didn't want to run a solo wire to the battery, and figured the PCIII is referencing the same +12V as the ECU, so why not the GND too? So far, it works like a champ. Also, to tune the throttle position, I installed the 9V battery. Then after starting the bike and turning it off, the PCIII stays alive and continues to read the throttle position. No need to rev the bike like crazy. You can then test it nice and slow to make sure it reads right from zero all the way to 100%.

Don't forget to undo any CO settings and disconnect the O2 sensor! I was actually thinking about installing a switch inline to turn the O2 sensor on/off. That way, put in a zero map into the PCIII and you are back to stock. I didn't do it, though as it is overkill. Once I get that Holeshot header, it will be gone anyway!

As always, YMMV.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things I did a little different: I wired the ground back to the ECU ground, and soldered it in. I didn't want to run a solo wire to the battery, and figured the PCIII is referencing the same +12V as the ECU, so why not the GND too?

Any pic's per chance?

Two things I did a little different: I wired the ground back to the ECU ground, and soldered it in. I didn't want to run a solo wire to the battery, and figured the PCIII is referencing the same +12V as the ECU, so why not the GND too?

Any pic's per chance?
Ditto...can you or anyone else point out which wire from the ECU is the ground?? Would this be considered the digital ground by chance? If so I would think this would be a better ground rather than running a long ground wire to the battery...

Any pic's per chance?
Ditto...can you or anyone else point out which wire from the ECU is the ground?? Would this be considered the digital ground by chance? If so I would think this would be a better ground rather than running a long ground wire to the battery...
I don't think that's such a good idea. If the pciii gets fried and discharges through the ground loop, it could potentially fry your ecu by sharing a common ground.

my two bit,

Any pic's per chance?
No, sorry. Didn't think it warranted it - just ran the GND wire backwards then dropped into the wire harness near the ECU.

The main ECU ground the the solid BLACK wire. It is in pin #3, or looking at the connector, it is the third from the upper right.

What do you mean 'digital ground'? Ground is ground. The signal that references it with a bias is up to the circuit. If that signal is a certain voltage which is interpreted somewhere else as ON or OFF, then yes, it is digital.

I don't think that's such a good idea. If the pciii gets fried and discharges through the ground loop, it could potentially fry your ecu by sharing a common ground.
my two bit,
You're welcome to that opinion of course. Any voltage applied to that wire is going to find a very easy path to ground through the wire, not through the ECU. The ECU casing, etc. is likely grounded, too. I'll be the first to admit if it doesn't work and screws up my ECU!

-BD

Everyone seems to think these Power Commander units are great, and I can only assume they are. However, it is hard for me to imagine a motorcycle running or performing better than my stock 2005 FJR. If I were to have a Power Commander unit installed on my bike, would I necessarily need new exhausts or slip ons? I do have a K&N air filter. Also, I have an Audiovox CC unit installed by Smitty. Would that interfere in any way with installation/use of a PCIII unit? What will be the practical advantages and benefits of a PCIII unit on my 2005 FJR? Are there any downsides or disadvantages? Would the dealer do it or would I need to find a tuner shop? Is the warranty affected? Sorry for all the questions but I am pretty much a mechanical novice, having restricted myself to oil changes and installing a Powerlet connection (the apex of my mechanical abilities). Advice welcome.
I bought one and a different throttle tube. I know I needed them for my AE.

If you are happy save your money!

Finally did my first mod...With 950mi on the clock figured it was time. My friendly neighborhood UPS man showed up today with a special delivery...PCIII for the '06. Took about 1 1/2 hrs start to finish. Super easy install pretty much plug-n-play...With the supplied "stock" map from Dynojet the bike has a much smoother transition from closed throttle to open throttle. No more abrupt on-off from idle or changing gears. And the "dead" lean spot in mid range is GONE!! This bike has grown a pair with the PCIII install. Couldn't be happier...I can't wait to get back on it tomorrow for some more seat time. I'll probably put it on the rollers in a few weeks to see were the A/F ratio is just to make sure it's optimal and get a base HP/TQ reading before any other mods are done.

Has anyone installed their PCIII, used the stock map, then dyno their bike to see if anything really needed to be "tweeked"...? Or maybe the map is pretty dead balls on for a stock FJR. I realize there is the Wally smoothness map w/ better fuel economy and all but for now I would like to get the full potential from the performance end of the PCIII. Fuel economy right now is a non-issue.

If anyone is on the fence about this mod do not hesitate! This is by far the best thing you can do to fix the so called "problems" for the '06 model. Theres nothing else I would change. This is all the '06 needed IMHO... :D

Finally did my first mod...With 950mi on the clock figured it was time. My friendly neighborhood UPS man showed up today with a special delivery...PCIII for the '06. Took about 1 1/2 hrs start to finish. Super easy install pretty much plug-n-play...With the supplied "stock" map from Dynojet the bike has a much smoother transition from closed throttle to open throttle. No more abrupt on-off from idle or changing gears. And the "dead" lean spot in mid range is GONE!! This bike has grown a pair with the PCIII install. Couldn't be happier...I can't wait to get back on it tomorrow for some more seat time. I'll probably put it on the rollers in a few weeks to see were the A/F ratio is just to make sure it's optimal and get a base HP/TQ reading before any other mods are done.
Has anyone installed their PCIII, used the stock map, then dyno their bike to see if anything really needed to be "tweeked"...? Or maybe the map is pretty dead balls on for a stock FJR. I realize there is the Wally smoothness map w/ better fuel economy and all but for now I would like to get the full potential from the performance end of the PCIII. Fuel economy right now is a non-issue.

If anyone is on the fence about this mod do not hesitate! This is by far the best thing you can do to fix the so called "problems" for the '06 model. Theres nothing else I would change. This is all the '06 needed IMHO... :D
Have you done the barbarian mod or any other mod's, ie exhaust, k&n air filter etc. Thanks Everett

Have you done the barbarian mod or any other mod's, ie exhaust, k&n air filter etc. Thanks Everett
No nothing else...stock exhaust, filter, etc...Probably the #1 mod needed for the '06 FJR's to make it a better over all package. Personally I don't see a need for any throttle fix, ie. spring release, cable slack, shim mod, G2 mod or anything else after the PCIII install. Yes its that good...

I'm on the fence. I have done the Barbarian mod, + 7 on the O2 sensors, let the tension go on the center TB spring and installed a Uni Filter. I don't think there is a problem now. :blink: Still on the fence about the PC III.

You're welcome to that opinion of course. Any voltage applied to that wire is going to find a very easy path to ground through the wire, not through the ECU. The ECU casing, etc. is likely grounded, too. I'll be the first to admit if it doesn't work and screws up my ECU!
-BD
Electricity follows the path of least resistance so it should cause no problem to the ECU if there was a short. It the short was sufficient that it caused the ground wire to heat up the resistance might increase enough to push current through the ECU but if it was to get that bad you've got all sorts of other problems.

So, I'll bet that you have a good reason to believe that it won't cause any problems by sharing a ground. Of course, I'm not willing to bet my ECU on that! :unsure:

...ground wire to heat up the resistance might increase enough to push current through the ECU ...
That is not physically possible.

Besides, that's a 14 gauge stranded wire. We'd be talking over 15A to get it to increase in temperature, an order of mangitude more to turn it into a heating element.

I'm quite confident in this arrangement. I think any EE's would agree. If something goes wrong, though, I'll own it.

-BD

I have an '05 with Holeshots and a PCIII. I had tried a few different maps and ultimately had a custom done. Big difference, very happy with the results. But of course the results are only as good as the guy making the map, and my guy was pretty patient.
I'm fixin' (southern lingo) to put Holeshots and the PCIII on my '07 FJ. What kind of HP increase did you see on your '05?

I have an '05 with Holeshots and a PCIII. I had tried a few different maps and ultimately had a custom done. Big difference, very happy with the results. But of course the results are only as good as the guy making the map, and my guy was pretty patient.
I'm fixin' (southern lingo) to put Holeshots and the PCIII on my '07 FJ. What kind of HP increase did you see on your '05?

The full Holeshot system, with headers and pipes, and a PC will give you about 8 to 10hp max.

Installed a PC III on my '06 A.

Well worth the money and time and highly recommended. My bike was one of the (more) vibrating ones. Vibration is now almost entirely gone. Bike is very much more responsive, smoother and seems more nimble. It's as if it was in a poor state of tune and now runs "right" - which, I guess, is not far off the mark. It's now much more sport bike like, cooperative and fun to ride.

Jeff at Sportbikeeffects was very friendly and helpful on the sale. The discount was nice too.

The bad: 1) The PC III directions are a joke. Although the unit is intended for '06 bikes, the instructions do not picture an '06 installation and the text is misleading at best. 2) The unit comes without a loaded map (which is just stupid or maybe bad QC on the one I got) so you need to load one. No big deal if you have a laptop handy AND check to see if the map's in the unit but it would be a PITA if you don't. If you installed one of these trusting that the map was preinstalled and are unhappy with the results, you may want to see if it's loaded. All the fields were zeros on mine so I presume that the factory settings were being passed through. The good part of this bad part is that loading a map is intuitive and easy. Throttle sync is very easy as well.

Ignore the "lift the front of the tank" BS in the directions. Take the tank off - you need to do so in order to lift the under-tank heat shield that covers the affected electronics. Take off the U shaped around-the-tank silver plastic trim piece so it won't get scratched (remove two screws, pull out the rubber mounted front tabs - trust me, they're there - on each side and then slide it back and off). Remove all the front and rear tank screws/bolts. Lift the tank a few inches, disconnect the two electrical connectors that plug into the botton of the tank and mark on the bottom of the tank which socket goes to which plug. Leave the tank hoses attached and then tilt/roll the tank off the left side of the bike, placing it on an adjacent chair, table, parts stand, etc. while still attached to the bike by the hoses. Appropriate toweling will prevent scratches and a nearly empty tank helps as well.

The PC has a "Y" wire that plugs in between the two halves of the bike's electronic's plug, in that way making the electronic signals run through the PC unit. The plug placement illustrated in the directions is not correct for '06. Fortunately, there appears to be only one plug of that configuration under the tank. It's under the heat shield, big and closer to the left rear of the tank than as shown in the directions. Although there isn't much room there, the PC plugs fit nicely with a little thought about placement.

Finally, I mounted the PC unit on the vertical sheet metal that forms the aft of the front under seat storage compartment as suggested by someone earlier. Seems an ideal location as it fits well and is out of the way. Velcro.

Good luck.

Take the tank off - you need to do so in order to lift the under-tank heat shield that covers the affected electronics.

I had no problems with the shielding or any other part of the install, using the "tilt only" approach.

I will say that this is probably not a good "self-install" for someone who is apprehensive about anything more than routine maintenance.

I don't know your experience level, I am not a mechanic by any stretch.

Sorry to hear it was so frustrating for you....

I had no problems with the shielding or any other part of the install, using the "tilt only" approach.
You are clearly more dextrous than I.

You too.

I will say that this is probably not a good "self-install" for someone who is apprehensive about anything more than routine maintenance.
Nah,... I think any monkey with a wrench can do it.

Sorry to hear it was so frustrating for you....
Nope, not frustrating. It was lots of fun. But thank you for your concern.

BTW, did yours come pre-loaded with the FJR map?

BTW, did yours come pre-loaded with the FJR map?
Yes, it had the "bone stock 2006" map on it.

I haven't tried the others that are linked to on the board (Wally's Smoothness, etc.). Not enough miles on this one to do a fair comparison.