Another Powerlet Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AsItLies

Reaction score
Don't use my powerlet for much more then powering the air compressor or to plug in the battery tender. For the GenII, there seemed to be 2 options, get a GenI kit and drill a hole somewhere on the right hand side, or get a GenII and run the wires under the dash to the left hand side to the square thing over there and drill that out.

Like I was saying, minimal use for me and didn't want to go to much trouble. Bought one of those that just have a plastic cap on the end, wired it up and tucked away the wires (minimal effort, nothing pinched), twist tied the wire hanging down so it wouldn't pull out... voila, done in about 10 mins...

powerlet.JPG

For the GenII, there seemed to be 2 options, get a GenI kit and drill a hole somewhere on the right hand side, or get a GenII and run the wires under the dash to the left hand side to the square thing over there and drill that out.
There's almost endless options on where to stick a Powerlet plug on a Gen II FJR from what I've seen...especially if you have an 11/16 hole cut drill bit:

• Rearset mount
  • Custom cut LH wing, mount in underlying panel
  • Drill blank where grip warmer dial would be (non-AE's)
  • Drill and mount in various locations on dash
  • Triple tree cap thread mount - using something to offset
  • Unused screw hole above shifter on non-AE's - using something to offset
  • Just let 'er hang or lay somewhere or thread into tank bag

Examples of most can be found all over here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops should have worded that differently burnspot... there were only 2 options for "me". Or what I was willing to go to the trouble of.

I did search but it seemed like most of what I found was the left side or right side, and drilling holes. So I'm happy with what mine ended up and posted just in case someone else doesn't see that as an alternative.

Ooops should have worded that differently burnspot... there were only 2 options for "me". Or what I was willing to go to the trouble of.

I did search but it seemed like most of what I found was the left side or right side, and drilling holes. So I'm happy with what mine ended up and posted just in case someone else doesn't see that as an alternative.
If it works for you, that's what counts. :D

I have a Powerlet kit sitting on my workbench right now that I haven't decided where to place yet (waiting to see where it'll best serve my as-yet-purchased heated gear). I already have a Battery Tender cable hanging just outside the RH fairing, in front of my knee...works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Powerlet kit sitting on my workbench right now that I haven't decided where to place yet (waiting to see where it'll best serve my as-yet-purchased heated gear). I already have a Battery Tender cable hanging just outside the RH fairing, in front of my knee...works great.
Don't use a powerlet for heated gear. It works fine, power wise, but adds unnecessary bulk and flapping cables to the mix. Route the power cable, either from the battery lead, or from the mounted controller, up from under the seat and just hang the plug(s) out when you need them, leave them tucked under the seat when you don't. This is the cleanest method and also creates build in strain relief as well as allowing for you to accidently get off the bike while plugged in and have no damage occur.

A dual mounted unit fits up under the rear of the tank and can be grounded to the frame there. if you're using an Aux. power fuse panel under the seat or close by, it's a simple run to 12v power. If not, there is still enough wire to run it up to the battery. A switched power source is preferred, imho. Heat-Trollers and Gerbing controllers work by pulsing the ground leg, so a bad ground or intermittent ground short will cause the power to be on. (don't mount the powerlet to metal or it will always be on full with heated gear)

If you're using a mounted unit, you still need to decide where to mount the control knob(s). I doubt the OP is using a mounted unit though.

Kits? You don't need any stinking kits. Just buy the parts and install it where you want it. ;)