Another Scouting Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
The Labor Day weekend was about as nice in the weather catagory as I can ever remember. So I got a wild hair and rode down to the Dragon. I took back roads to get to Maryville and spent the night. Sunday AM, I was out on the Dragon at about 8. I had it all to myself for one pass to the south. A few sporties were already on it, and a group of Mustangs were lining up. I mad a pass to the south, turned around went back to the north, then turned around and went back south.

I'm happy to report that I tamed the Dragon. I'm actually faster than a mini van, but not as fast as some of the Mustangs. Also, I had to come to a complete stop at one point to let a gaggle (or whatever) of turkeys cross the road. No kidding. About 20 of them.

After the Dragon, I headed for the Skyway. Perfect. Starting to warm up, but as the elevation increased, the temp came out even. About 60ish. Then out the bottom at Tellico Plains. This time, I went 360 back to the north, then 441 to the north, and back to 129 on 72, I think it was. That's a strange road. Like a parkway for no reason.

When back at the Dragon (north end), I decided to go to Townsend and check it out. That's a nice area, and I think everyone will like it. Kinda touristy, and not just for bikers. Although there were HUNDREDS there on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. I took the Foothills Parkway from the Dragon to 321. That's a VERY nice road, too.

The roads were all in excellent conditon. Everything in the area is quite nice. There was plenty of gas, although a few stations have closed. The major ones were busy and no signs of shortages or lines. Gas all through the area of TN that I was in was still $3.29.

The Carriage House was the busiest place I saw on the whole trip. The food MUST be good.

For those of us coming down I-75, there were 3 areas of construction that will proably be back active for the trip in two weeks. That's going to be a mess.

I took the slab pretty much all the way back home (75-64-65-70), but on the way down, I cut through the sticks. That was fun. I got lost several times on the east side of 75. Even made an excursion on the west side and got even loster (ok, more lost). Man, there's some great roads to get lost on! I don't see how anyone can get anywhere down there. One thing's for sure, those Volunteers sure can FLY down the roads in their cages.

Hey Rocket...

Good scouting... give details on I-75 constuction...i'm assuming it was between Lexi and Knoxville?? according to your routing? Should be a good thing we're wanting to take the back roads in from lexington :)

hey,, I was on the Snake today,, Shady Valley,,,

from the crossroads of 58 and the Blue Ridge Parkway,, to 133 onto 421 to Mountian City,, the motorcycle playground was full,, no one seemed to mind the gas prices,, from 2.89 > 3.29

had a blast,, met 3 other FJR pilots on the BRP

looking forward to EOM

Hey Rocket...Good scouting... give details on I-75 constuction...i'm assuming it was between Lexi and Knoxville?? according to your routing? Should be a good thing we're wanting to take the back roads in from lexington :)
Yes, the construction was between LEX and KNOX.

In Kentucky, the

KY DOT reports:

Interstate 75 : from after Little Laurel River Bridge to before KY 363 Underpass

road construction -

Comment: Shoulder closure and occasional lane closure.

That zone is between London and Corbin, I think. That's the one I got stuck in for a hour at 10 pm on a Sunday night due to reduction to one lane.

There are other's in TN, this from the TN DOT:

Interstate 75 both directions in Anderson County - Between EXIT 122: SR-61 / NORRIS-CLINTON (Mile Marker: 122.3) and MILE MARKER 126 ,resurfacing work will cause temporary lane closures weeknights between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. the following morning from 8/3/05 to 11/15/05.

Interstate 75 North and South (Campbell County) - Between MILE MARKER 155 and MILE MARKER 157, near Jellico, interchange modification construction will result in a lane shift both directions every day from 5/13/05 to 10/30/05.

All this construction wasn't active over the holiday, and evidently they try to do a lot of the work at night. Just the same, I'm going to try not to use I-75 coming down to the EOM. Going home on Monday will probably be a mad dash, so it will most likely be all slab.

Another thing I can tell you, as much as I hate to, but on I-75, if the surface is concrete, you will find me in the farthest left lane. The surface, especially in KY is SO bad, I refuse to ride on the "truck lane". Even with my Wilbers set on "grandpa", the ride is just too harsh. Of course I will probably be passing everyone anyway, so I hope not to be an obstruction.

Even made an excursion on the west side and got even loster (ok, more lost). Man, there's some great roads to get lost on! I don't see how anyone can get anywhere down there. One thing's for sure, those Volunteers sure can FLY down the roads in their cages.
You aughta ride with me in the SHO w/ track suspension and chassis mods! I live in the area, and often take back roads I know well over mainroads or highways because you can get through them quicker without traffic.

hey,, I was on the Snake today,, Shady Valley,,,from the crossroads of 58 and the Blue Ridge Parkway,, to 133 onto 421 to Mountian City,, the motorcycle playground
I have a love hate relationship with that section of road, but it is great indeed! Only about 30 miles from here.