Anxious Newbie - Already Reserved an '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been lurking about for quite a while soaking in all the FJR goodness. I'm a software developer from Michigan (Detroit-metro area) that has been riding BMW F650GS (with the hard side cases and top case) for 5 years. I never liked the sport bikes because of the uncomfortable riding position and lack of storage, but I've also always wanted some of that sport bike power and handling. My f650 has kept me happy, but it's definitely missing some power and highway comfort. The FJR looks to be the perfect answer to me :) .

I've actually had my eye on the FJR since 2003, but it had to wait because I was saving to buy a house. Now we (me and wife) have settled into the house and made it past the initial high-cost period of buying all that stuff you never really knew you needed when you buy your first house. I recently convinced my wife to help me work a new FJR into the budget. I got quite anxious and started visiting some dealers a couple weeks ago.

Even though there is no info about the '07 yet, the dealers are more than happy to take a $500 deposit from you right now. After some shopping around, I got one dealer to to agree to $13300 out-the-door for an '07 (standard shift). I gave my $500 deposit yesterday to lock in that price and plan to go back to the dealer as soon as the PDP begins to make sure my order is entered. Unfortunately, I have to wait until next June to take delivery in order to save up a big enough down-payment to make the monthly payment fit into the budget. It's gonna be a looooong wait.

Now I just hope the '07 model does not have any changes that I would not like (I am most nervous about the color) :unsure:

I plan on bothering the dealer as soon as the PDP period begins to ensure I get confirmation that a bike has been reserved for me. The dealer was very up-front with me about the PDP. They said that they can take a deposit now and they will call me after the Yamaha dealer meeting to give me more details about the '07 model and that I would have to come back in to fill out a PDP form when Yamaha starts taking orders. I feel comfortable with this dealer, but I will still be proactive to make sure I get my bike.

As for purchasing a new '06, it just wouldn't work for me because I won't be ready to make the purchase until next June.

Hmm - Since you plan to wait til June, what's the rush for a PDP deposit? Most bikes are delivered by une - and maybe you would locate a pristine '06 out there for a considerable savings?

IMHO, I'd have kept my options open for as long as I could had I been in your shoes.

However, now that you've taken the plunge, I wish you well.

...Now we (me and wife) have settled into the house and made it past the initial high-cost period of buying all that stuff you never really knew you needed when you buy your first house.

Welcome, good luck with the '07 and about that stuff, you still don't need it. :p

Congrats, looks like you made the commitment to help focus the goal. I'm sure you're going to love the bike,and I wouldn't expect any changes for 07, the Yamaha cycle for changes, upgrades doesn't happen second year after major rework, maybe a little tweak here & there, and paint it a different color.

First WAITER, let the baiting begin ;)

Heard the 07s were going to be sky blue pink. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really care *what* color the bike is. I jumped on the first '06 I could find *in* a dealer. I'd have bought it even if it was Kawasaki Puke Green with KTM orange stripes and pink flames, over a Honda Repsol scheme.

edit: Hmm... on second thought, the Honda Repsol scheme might be going too far...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't really care *what* color the bike is. I jumped on the first '06 I could find *in* a dealer. I'd have bought it even if it was Kawasaki Puke Green with KTM orange stripes and pink flames, over a Honda Repsol scheme.

edit: Hmm... on second thought, the Honda Repsol scheme might be going too far...
Actually I don't think that any of the colors Yamaha chooses for the bike are too bad. The 06 blue is pretty but I kind of like my silver AE. Makes the bike look purposeful :ph34r:

First WAITER, let the baiting begin ;)
I thought the very same thing this morning. I s'pose I'll have to start honing my skills...... :lol: And you're correct, after the major changes in '06 Yamaha will not be changing the basic platform. I'd be looking for minor adjustments (like adding the glove box and increasing the windshield size between '03 and '04). That said, there is the rumor about more gearing changes for '07.

:yahoo: :lol:

Actually I don't think that any of the colors Yamaha chooses for the bike are too bad. The 06 blue is pretty but I kind of like my silver AE. Makes the bike look purposeful :ph34r:

I am tired of the blue, two years in a row. Give me a black one and I will get an 07 upgrade from my 03. Also he already got a good price OYD negotiated. If on the showroom floor the negotiations are not usually as good.

I am tired of the blue, two years in a row. Give me a black one and I will get an 07 upgrade from my 03. Also he already got a good price OTD negotiated. If on the showroom floor the negotiations are not usually as good.
Mike, if you got a good enough price here in CA, you could have the bike re-painted "Classic" Liquid Silver and mess with everyone's mind. And your Holeshot system might transfer over....hmmm, this is getting more interesting by the thought-moment. But what'll you do if it comes here the Euro green mist?

I am tired of the blue, two years in a row. Give me a black one and I will get an 07 upgrade from my 03. Also he already got a good price OYD negotiated. If on the showroom floor the negotiations are not usually as good.
even honda figured it out on the 06 ST. there is really only ONE appropriate color for a bad-arse bike, and it ain't silver and it ain't blue. i'll dust every day for a black one... that said, i'm too cheap and unmotivated to paint my 06. but if it ever gets bent.... :assassin:

shu

Good on ya!

And I think you did the right thing. I bought a house in August '05 and put my deposit down in December '05 for my '06A. When more things came up I just said, "Honey, I don't want to lose the deposit, can we find the money somewhere else?"

If I had waited............

I heard the '07's were going to be Yamaha yellow with pearl white accents :p

The FJR will be a big change from a BMW 650. You should like it! :yahoo:
I will definitely have to be very cautious with the throttle until I learn to control all that extra power. My F650 only has 50hp takes more than 6 seconds to get up to 60mph. As long as I can avoid doing this when I pick up my FJR at the dealer, I think I'll be just fine :) .

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the extra 200lbs. of weight to deal with during foot-powered maneuvers (e.g., backing up) in the parking lot and driveway. I'm quite scrawny, but tall (6', 130lbs.), so I think my ability to securely plant my feet on the ground will make up for my lack of muscle.

[...The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the extra 200lbs. of weight to deal with during foot-powered maneuvers (e.g., backing up) in the parking lot and driveway. I'm quite scrawny, but tall (6', 130lbs.), so I think my ability to securely plant my feet on the ground will make up for my lack of muscle.
Hey, you got a year to work on it and some motivation.

Now its time for you to start buying those aftermarket items NOW that you know you will need later :D