Anxious Newbie - Already Reserved an '07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally! A great forum handle! UselessPickles! :D . It don't matter UP... 06, 05, 04, 03.. they all go like stink and handle great. I hope to 'renew' every 2 years. Congrats Dude.. you will love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations.....too bad about the hot pink colour though :blink: .....maybe you can work the money into the budget for a repaint :lol: .....welcome aboard....

Up, don't worry about tasteless paint colors on the 07, insider scoop, nephew works for the company in Hamamatsu that does the cams and crankshafts for Yamaha, visits the factories often. word is the 07 will keep the same colbalt blue as the 06 and get the euro stripe treatment in day-glow hot pink metillic.

Up, don't worry about tasteless paint colors on the 07, insider scoop, nephew works for the company in Hamamatsu that does the cams and crankshafts for Yamaha, visits the factories often. word is the 07 will keep the same colbalt blue as the 06 and get the euro stripe treatment in day-glow hot pink metillic.
airboss....that's just nasty :good: .....gotta like it.... :lol:

Does the 07 PDP become available after the Sept Dealers meeting?

I've decided on gettting the standard model

I've heard a lot of good things about D&H Cycles in Alabama , they are only about 250 miles from me . Is it worth the drive?

I bought my last bike in NC about 300 miles away and saved a bunch , plus there is was no sales tax as I wasn't a resident. Has anybody bought from D&H and from out of state and skipped the sales tax?

Has anybody bought from D&H and from out of state and skipped the sales tax?
1.) The PDP is usually announced after the said meeting.

2.) Hundreds, if not a thousand, have purchased FJRs from D&H, if I wasn't in Calif. I'd probably do that. Sales tax is normally collected by your own DMV when you register the bike in your home state (At least that's how CA does it.).

you'll like the bike, but hate the wait -- actually for me i was OK until the A's started trickling out (ordered an AE), and got frustrated with the lack of info on when it would ship!

Relax, and enjoy the forum -- I had lots of stuff in the garage (due to this forum) prior to getting the bike:

Skyway sliders

FJRandy's horn harness and Magnum Blasters

stuff like that -- it'll help ya kill the time until delivery day.

I've decided on gettting the standard model

I've heard a lot of good things about D&H Cycles in Alabama , they are only about 250 miles from me . Is it worth the drive?

I bought my last bike in NC about 300 miles away and saved a bunch , plus there is was no sales tax as I wasn't a resident. Has anybody bought from D&H and from out of state and skipped the sales tax?
Don't you have to pay the tax in your home state when you get it registered, or is that just something we have to do in the Keystone state (PA)? I bought my first FJR at Andrew's in Salem, Ohio, and didn't have to pay Ohio sales tax. But when I registered the bike in PA, I had to pay the sales tax for PA.

I had to pay registration but not tax last time . Thanks for the tips guys.

I figure it's a nice lil ride back from D&H to get aquainted once she's delivered. I've been a big fan of the FJ series all the way back to the original, although I have caught some flak from most of my riding buddies including my wife about the choice.

... I have caught some flak from most of my riding buddies including my wife about the choice.
My wife is upset about the choice also. She thinks the FJR is the second ugliest bike she's ever seen (first ugliest goes to Buell). She describes the FJR as a crotch rocket that grew old and fat.

Hmm - Since you plan to wait til June, what's the rush for a PDP deposit? Most bikes are delivered by une - and maybe you would locate a pristine '06 out there for a considerable savings?
IMHO, I'd have kept my options open for as long as I could had I been in your shoes.

However, now that you've taken the plunge, I wish you well.

Any thoughts on whether they will be stopping the PDP plan and just making enough bikes available for a regular joe

Congrats on the house. BTDT a few years ago.

don't worry about the color, it will be blue or silver or some combo of both. We don't seem to get any other colors in the US.

Congratulations on your decision to buy an '07. I've always wanted a hybrid motorcycle, so I'm envious of your choice to go with the '07 FJR. I'm just afraid that no manufacturer understands batteries well enough to make the leap to a hybrid cycle myself.

I'm also really interested to hear your thoughts on the belt drive. Harley seems to have good luck with it, but they only put about half the torque on the system that the FJR would. Maybe the move to hybrid in '07 cut the torque output of the FJR to Harley levels. If not, I'm sure that strapping on 20 or 30 pounds of post-manufacture bracing on the final drive will fix any issues. Hell, Yamaha slam-dunked proving they could solve such problems with the 2006 AE.

... I have caught some flak from most of my riding buddies including my wife about the choice.
My wife is upset about the choice also. She thinks the FJR is the second ugliest bike she's ever seen (first ugliest goes to Buell). She describes the FJR as a crotch rocket that grew old and fat.
She must really hate the K1200GT !

Congratulations on your decision to buy an '07. I've always wanted a hybrid motorcycle, so I'm envious of your choice to go with the '07 FJR. I'm just afraid that no manufacturer understands batteries well enough to make the leap to a hybrid cycle myself.
I'm also really interested to hear your thoughts on the belt drive. Harley seems to have good luck with it, but they only put about half the torque on the system that the FJR would. Maybe the move to hybrid in '07 cut the torque output of the FJR to Harley levels. If not, I'm sure that strapping on 20 or 30 pounds of post-manufacture bracing on the final drive will fix any issues. Hell, Yamaha slam-dunked proving they could solve such problems with the 2006 AE.
Piaggio will have a hybrid out soon. Scooter but it is a start.

Hybrid

Vespa

Does she ride? Has she ridden it for herself? That's the problem with women - it's all about looks and fashion and little to do with real practical ability.

I say get your deposit back, and when you're ready to buy look online for new and gently used FJRs. You'd be shocked at how much $$$ you can save from 1st time buyers who added thousands in farkles, only to decide it's too much bike for them or not "Hyabusa" enough. :glare: Then you don't have to worry about the color!

But, if you're one of those people that feel the need to own "new", hell, I wish you good luck waiting. That being said, I still would have waited until PDP actually started to give someone else my cash that I could be earning interest on.

Also, if you're one of the first in the PDP, you might get your bike before June. Don't you have to "settle your deal" with the dealer within a certain time frame? Will you be ready to close the deal if your bike is delivered in May, or April even? And I wouldn't buy into the idea that the dealer "knows" when the first ones will be delivered - they don't control that. They might know historically when they're delivered, but things could be dramatically different in '07. :eek:

When did the first '06s arrive this year????

I say get your deposit back, and when you're ready to buy look online for new and gently used FJRs.
From what I've seen on e-bay, gently used 2006's go for around $10,000-$12,000. I'm getting a brand new 2007 for $12,100. So by spending an extra $1,000-$2,000, I get a brand new bike of the most current model year that I can pick up locally with a full warranty. I won't have to go searching for my bike and have to wait for one to go up for sale within a distance I'm willing to travel. I also prefer a stock bike so that I can decide for myself which farkles would be best for me. Interest rates on loans for brand new bikes from a dealership are also better than rates on loans for used bikes.

I still would have waited until PDP actually started to give someone else my cash that I could be earning interest on.
1 or 2 months of interest on $500? That would come out to be a couple dollars. I sealed a deal based on 2006 pricing, so If the MSRP of 2007 goes up, then my deal is even better. The dealer is most likely to honor the price we agreed on too keep my business if the 2007 cost goes up. If I waited until after the cost was known, there's no way I'd get the same deal.

Don't you have to "settle your deal" with the dealer within a certain time frame?
I already worked this out with the dealer. They said that when they send in the PDP order, they can indicate a desired target delivery month (of course, it is not guaranteed). The dealer will indicate a desired delivery month of May for me to hopefully have the bike delivered before June. The dealer will then keep the bike all crated up in their warehouse until I call them and say "I'm ready to pick it up".

Does she ride? Has she ridden it for herself? That's the problem with women - it's all about looks and fashion and little to do with real practical ability.
My wife does ride. Not a lot, but she does go on short rides with my friends and me. She rides a Honda Rebel and doesn't feel comfortable with a bike any larger than that (she's little - 5'7", 110lbs.), so i doubt she'll ever ride the FJR.

Sorry, that is a "problem" with just about every motorcycle owner alive. We all care about the looks of the bike we ride.

When I owned mine and even people I tell I use to own one they have one thing to say, That is an old guy bike!

The looks of the fjr are better than say the ST or others but it is what it is for a reason, doesn't mean it looks good.

I say get your deposit back, and when you're ready to buy look online for new and gently used FJRs.
From what I've seen on e-bay, gently used 2006's go for around $10,000-$12,000. I'm getting a brand new 2007 for $12,100. So by spending an extra $1,000-$2,000, I get a brand new bike of the most current model year that I can pick up locally with a full warranty. I won't have to go searching for my bike and have to wait for one to go up for sale within a distance I'm willing to travel. I also prefer a stock bike so that I can decide for myself which farkles would be best for me. Interest rates on loans for brand new bikes from a dealership are also better than rates on loans for used bikes.

I still would have waited until PDP actually started to give someone else my cash that I could be earning interest on.
1 or 2 months of interest on $500? That would come out to be a couple dollars. I sealed a deal based on 2006 pricing, so If the MSRP of 2007 goes up, then my deal is even better. The dealer is most likely to honor the price we agreed on too keep my business if the 2007 cost goes up. If I waited until after the cost was known, there's no way I'd get the same deal.

Don't you have to "settle your deal" with the dealer within a certain time frame?
I already worked this out with the dealer. They said that when they send in the PDP order, they can indicate a desired target delivery month (of course, it is not guaranteed). The dealer will indicate a desired delivery month of May for me to hopefully have the bike delivered before June. The dealer will then keep the bike all crated up in their warehouse until I call them and say "I'm ready to pick it up".

My wife does ride. Not a lot, but she does go on short rides with my friends and me. She rides a Honda Rebel and doesn't feel comfortable with a bike any larger than that (she's little - 5'7", 110lbs.), so i doubt she'll ever ride the FJR.
UP - Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. ;) And this is a forum where opinions are shared. As for ebay, you're not looking hard enough or at the right times. I've seen '05s and '06s for $9,500 - $11,000 with 2 or 3 thousand in farkles. But hey, your call man. Enjoy the ride. It's worth the wait.

UP - Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one. ;)
But some assholes stink more than others :p

My responses were only intended to let you know that I did think about those things and have used some sort of logic to make the decision.