Any reports on the Cycleport mesh

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel that the whole key to this stuff is getting the gear softened up, if possible. The dryer method works somewhat so I'm going to wash and dry (with sneakers) at the local suds-n-duds.

I spent a lot of time with Wayne on the phone and purchased mine "off the rack". Both pants and jacket fit well. Now just to get them to loosen up a bit.

Capt. Bob

Has anyone done a back to back test of the mesh verses the 4-way kevlar in hot weather?
There is big discussion about Motoport on Advrider.com and several of the members have both the mesh and stretch kevlar suits. The general consensus seems to be that the mesh flows 30-40 percent more air than the stretch, and as you would expect, the stretch kevlar is warmer in cold weather.

There is big discussion about Motoport on Advrider.com and several of the members have both the mesh and stretch kevlar suits. The general consensus seems to be that the mesh flows 30-40 percent more air than the stretch, and as you would expect, the stretch kevlar is warmer in cold weather.
Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?
No, since I currently am on a guest computer but if you go to www.advrider.com and look under "Equipment" you should find it on the first page because someone posts on that thread almost every day.

The only thing I can add is if I needed to replace mine I would not hesitate to drop the amount it costs, and would not look anywhere else for hot / warm weather gear

I stopped by Cycleport on the way home from work last night since I live in the area. I only intended to speak with Wayne for a few minutes, and possibly get some measurements for a suit. What I got was a 1-1/2 tour of the facility, lessons in fabrics, and I ended up going home with mesh 3/4 jacket and pants! Wayne is very generous with his time, and very passionate about the capability of his products.

One of the more interesting things I got to see were a couple of scuffed up articles returned for repairs. This kevlar fabric is nothing short of amazing. He also had several "used" items from other manufacturers that his customers had brought to him when they decided to get Wayne's equipment. Comparing the other used stuff against Cycleport's used stuff, again this kevlar is simply amazing.

This is my first foray into protective riding gear other than a leather jacket, so I can't really compare it to anything else. It does feel bulky, but not bad. I plan to try the "2 hours in dryer with sneakers, no heat" process to loosen it up.

At any rate, my first impression after one day of riding is very positive, FWIW. Definately NO buyers remorse here.

I stopped by Cycleport on the way home from work last night since I live in the area. I only intended to speak with Wayne for a few minutes, and possibly get some measurements for a suit. What I got was a 1-1/2 tour of the facility, lessons in fabrics, and I ended up going home with mesh 3/4 jacket and pants! Wayne is very generous with his time, and very passionate about the capability of his products.
One of the more interesting things I got to see were a couple of scuffed up articles returned for repairs. This kevlar fabric is nothing short of amazing. He also had several "used" items from other manufacturers that his customers had brought to him when they decided to get Wayne's equipment. Comparing the other used stuff against Cycleport's used stuff, again this kevlar is simply amazing.

This is my first foray into protective riding gear other than a leather jacket, so I can't really compare it to anything else. It does feel bulky, but not bad. I plan to try the "2 hours in dryer with sneakers, no heat" process to loosen it up.

At any rate, my first impression after one day of riding is very positive, FWIW. Definately NO buyers remorse here.
What were the reasons you chose the mesh instead of the 4-way stretch (Ultra II) kevlar? California temps?

What were the reasons you chose the mesh instead of the 4-way stretch (Ultra II) kevlar? California temps?
Mostly due to Wayne's input to my questions. And yep, the high temps were part of what I was asking about.

What was the cost?

What was the cost?
From their website:

https://www.motoport.com/detail.asp...0&Merchant_Company=Pants Gear&Category=Kevlar

Mesh Pants

https://www.motoport.com/detail.asp...nt_Company=Jackets Department&Category=Kevlar

Mesh Jacket

This is VERY pricey by my standards (maybe not everyone's though), but I decided (with alot of support from the wife) that the cost of not having this gear was far more expensive. My wife and I have been discussing getting something like this for me for a while now and decided to just do it. I justify it by looking at the protection value of the kevlar compared to the leather and corduras of the others. (Kee-rist, I'm sounding like a bean counter here) At any rate, with all the "get-off" stories floating around here, I decided not to wait any longer.

I just got some gear from Wayne as well... so far, I'm impressed. I can't wait to get it broken in and the armor all molded.

You really feel protected, that's for sure. After reading the ADV reviews and experiences here, I had no suprises. I have the mesh kevlar pants and 3/4 jacket.

In the event of a get-off, I know i've done everything gear-wise that's possible.

Guess we'll all have to wait for it, but the details about MM2s crash in his Cycleport gear, and the resulting condition of the jacket (and Mike) should give us some indication of it's quality. I hate to think that anyone has to crash to prove the point, but now that MM2 has gone and done it, we might as well learn as much about how his gear worked as we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess we'll all have to wait for it, but the details about MM2s crash in his Cycleport gear, and the resulting condition of the jacket (and Mike) should give us some indication of it's quality. I hate to think that anyone has to crash to prove the point, but now that MM2 has gone and done it, we might as well learn as much about how his gear worked as we can.
Mikey will attest to the quality of that jacket.

It read to me as though the damage to Mike's jacket was done by the EMTs.

It read to me as though the damage to Mike's jacket was done by the EMTs.
I've got Mike's gear and bike. I will post a thread with pics and my observations.

EDIT: See this thread

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=25003

I've been racking the miles up on the 3/4 jacket and pants (mesh) for over a year. +1 all the way around. There is something really reassuring about putting it on. I would only add that you need to make sure you've got the gortex liner put on and velcroed up properly as it is possible to get some of the roadcrafter effect in the crotch in a monsoon.

I've ridden in it from the low 30s to 110 in death valley. Low end with gerbings, high end with gortex in the jacket and one of those soaker vests underneath. Brilliant stuff.

I wonder if Wayne would consider a GB? Maybe set for March of 08?

Yes, it is set some time away, but it would give many of us time to pinch the pennies. And, give those who put the Solteks on their Credit Cards to pay them down a bit. It might help some for this GB to be around income tax time. I guess that could be bad for others. It would also be months before NAFO.

Thoughts?

Wifey and I have had the full length mesh jackets and stretch kevlar pants for 8k miles or so this season and will not look back. This stuff is great in my book and is very adaptable for all weather conditions with the thin jacket liner and a cooling vest.

Just another vote of confidence for this gear, even though it's pricey. My favorite quote from someone on the forum a while back is "How much do you think skin grafting would cost?" and I don't want to know how much I've spent on leathers in the past.

Gear up, folks.

SR

I wonder if Wayne would consider a GB? Maybe set for March of 08?
Thoughts?
Give him a call. I don't think he was giving any special discounts at WFO, but he sure kicked down some cool swag. I enjoyed the several hours I spent down at his display, just listening to his stories and helping sell his wares.

MM2 will probably be hanging there next year. It sure is a good thing he waited until he bought that gear to have his crash. He'd been talking about getting it ever since before he saw my stuff, two years ago.

It's kinda like sliders. Best to buy them before you drop it. And, much like what the sliders do for your plastic, compared to the cost & hassle of skin grafts, Cycleport gear is a bargain.

If you do come up with something, let me know. I want to get some stretch Kevlar pants for Eve.