Any suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Picking up the new 08 FJR on Saturday. Just wondering if anyone has the skinny on good deals on motorcycle insurance on this beast. Before I get raked over the coals I've already checked: Progressive, Geico, Pacific Specialty and Allstate. Just wondering if anyone has an "ace in the hole" on this stuff. Thanks to all and I can't wait to pilot this beast. Dirk

I've been with USAA auto insurance for thirty years, and when I asked them about motorcycles they said they don't do bikes, but they strongly recommended Progressive, as they meet their USAA standards. I looked around and DID go with Progressive. No regrets and no hassles. Prices are good and the coverage is as good as I know of.

C

Note: I do not work for Progressive. This is just my opinion/experience... If you find something better please share it!

I've been with USAA auto insurance for thirty years, and when I asked them about motorcycles they said they don't do bikes, but they strongly recommended Progressive, as they meet their USAA standards. I looked around and DID go with Progressive. No regrets and no hassles. Prices are good and the coverage is as good as I know of.
C

Note: I do not work for Progressive. This is just my opinion/experience... If you find something better please share it!
Ditto. I've been very happy with them and their service. And I like not having to buy separate road assistance. But it varies so much from state to state and rider to rider, calling around is the only sure way to find out. In fact, I still get quotes from other companies on occasion just to make sure someone won't offer a better deal. No one has yet.

For tips on more companies to try, follow uctofeej's link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too pick up m new bike on Saturday and I went with MetLife.

On my other bike I onl pas $120 a year for 100/300/50 coverage with a $500 deductable.

Course this one is going to be a lot more lol, it's around $315 a year for me with the same coverage.

but that's everything including towing and medical.

C

My wife was an agent at an office that sold Progressive and four other insurance companies. She placed our son's scooter with Progressive. She now works for Farm Bureau and of course that is where my FJR is insured. If she was still with the other insurance agency my FJR would be with Progressive.

I look at insurance a little different. It is not just the price it is the company. A little like extended warranties. It is worthless if they fight you over every claim or try to under pay you on every claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been with Dairyland (Sentry) for a couple years. Pretty good price, and very good coverage. I'm thinking about switching to Geico, it's $100+ cheaper, but the "accessory" coverage isn't nearly as good. I'm wondering if you upgrade to more accessory coverage, if Geico wouldn't = Dairyland. And seems Dairyland is VERY motorcycle oriented. About $529 for me for the year with Geico in rural Indiana.

DairylandMark
I had Dairyland who was competatively priced for New York City @ $1070. Then I was rear ended last Oct & my 06 FJR was totalled. Dairyland lowballed the price to replace my bike (I had full coverage). Then they give me some crap about how they don't use a Blue Book to determine the value & that I should find 3 06FJR's in my region for an average price. WTF ??? is that all about? In November there aren't any FJR's for sale in the northeast cause nobody is looking to buy a bike going into the winter season. I tried to submit 3 06FJR's from the southwest that were for sale on Biketrader. Their average price was about the same as the Blue Book standard & the same as Motorcycle Consumers listing. They wouldn't accept the verified bikes because they weren't in my region. (???)

It wasn't until I flat out refused their low ball offer after dancing with them for over a month. They said they would touch base with me in a few weeks. The next day (?) they called me back with some B.S. story that the real condition of the bike was left out of the adjusters report & were now willing to give me the actual used bike value. This pissed me off but when I was ready to insure the 08 when it was delivered in January I decided to go with them again since they did make good on the true value of the bike. Then I found out they were going to charge me an additional $200. When pressed for a reason for the increase since the accident wasn't my fault, they claimed that the 08 was more expensive than the 06 therefore more expensive to cover collision wise. The 08 was $500 more than the 06 & for this they were going to charge me $200 additional every year? I may look stupid, but I'm not! Called my insurance agent I told them to find me another insurance company. They did. They found me a company - American Modern Home Insurance Co. for $812 per year. $550 cheaper! I was sceptical because I never heard of this company before, but my broker (who is K&K Brokerage in NY who is one of the best & I've had them for over 30 years) stated they started using this company about a year ago & have had no complaints from their clients about any problems with settlements.

I have a new insurance company now, & my wife has a new helmet & jacket from the money I saved!

Dairyland. The additional coverage when 100+miles away from home I haven't found anyone who could beat it. Also as mentioned before the coverage for the accessories.

I went from Progressive to Geico. Saved money. Hey it's worth it to shop around every year or at least every couple of years. Rates change.

Anymore, giving someone a rough idea how much insurance might cost is hard to do. I have insurance on everything I own [almost] through State Farm. Prior to buying my FJR, I bought three ATV’s and Progressive was by-far the cheapest and had the best coverage because of their standard $2000 coverage on accessories. Then I bought a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter and again, Progressive was the cheapest. But after buying the FJR, Progressive’s rates went through the roof. So I checked with my State Farm office and to my surprise, they offered me the same coverage I carry on my 4-wheel vehicles for half of what Progressive wanted.

Prior to the FJR I had considered the Connie 14. What surprised me is how Progressive charges almost half to insure the new Concours than the FJR. Probably because there are not enough statistics available yet for the Concours. After the Connie has been out long enough to be dumped a lot, the rates will be up to what the FJR’s rates are.

Dirk..... I seem to be following you around the boards.

I too am picking up my 08 tomorrow and I just got the final price on my insurance.

I am insured for $15,000 value on the bike at 100/300 coverages with a $500 deductable.

Total cost is $240 a year.....actually cheaper than I thought it was going to be.

I am with Metlife............depending on the state sometimes MetLife is great.

I got rid of a 94 Buick with liability earlier this year and added a 2008 Camry with full coverage and switched companies at the same time....insurance DROPPED by $18 a month.

Give them a call, you never know.

See this post. Can't ask for more. And as an update, couple of weeks ago I received a check from Progressive for the full replacement cost of the upgraded headers. Not even a joint-payment check to me and the dealer, just the cost of the pipes. Period.

Rates are going to be pretty much influenced by the location where the bike is garaged, the driver's record for claims and violations, the amount of liability requested, the value of the bike, the claims record of the bike, the amount of deductible you are willing to live with, etc.

Generally the more insurance you carry with a particular company, the better their pricing will be. You can get discounts for carrying multiple autos, homeowners, umbrella policies, multiple bikes, etc.

With all that said, getting quotes is a good idea.... I've been using Progressive Hawaii Insurance Group for my recreational vehicles for many years with high satisfaction.