Anybody about to install Audiovox?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollie

Reaction score
Is anyone out there about to install or has already installed the all-electronic version of the CCS100 or Rostra cruise control?

Yup, new, the AUDIOVOX CCS100 is dun-fer, now there is only a Chinese knock-off of the vacuum cruise. Up to now the Rostra electronic units have had issues with cable slack take up. Evidently it didn't matter to 1.5 ton inertia boxes but it was a problem on 0.5 ton motorcycles. Plus, the electronics box was not a optimum size/shape for stashing on a bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do some searching, I believe there are a couple threads on installing the Rostra all electronic cruise control on the FJR around here somewhere.

Rollie, here are the cruise control offerings currently available for the FJR (and the base cost as of this writing):

• Audivox CSS100 ($170 USD - electronic control with vacuum driven throttle servo)
  • Rosta-100 ($240 UDS - electronic control with electric throttle servo)
  • McCruise - ($920 UDS - electronic control with vacuum driven throttle servo and plug and play kit for the FJR)

Price info sourced from Murph's Kits and McCruise.

The CCS100 unit was discontinued by Audiovox, who used to market both this kit and the one from Rosta. The CCS100 is now available again through Murph's Kits, from (they claim) the same manufacturer who used to make it for Audiovox. I suspect this unit has always been manufactured in China.

The Rosta-100 is not new and there is at least one install on the FJR (pointer here). From reading the posts, my take is that the Rosta unit is actually a more difficult install and performs no better than the Audivox unit. Both of these units were designed for automotive applications, so while they are successfully installed in motorcycles, there is zero support for them from manufacturers and resellers.

The McCruise is based on an Audiovox unit, modified for better servo response for motorcycle applications. It also contains a throttle cable coupling device of their own design, which they feel offers a more robust and safer connection. The wiring harness is "plug and play" for specific FJR models. The $ price reflects this additional engineering, and their support has been reportedly very good.

I've had an Audivox unit in my '05 for the past five years. It has been trouble free.

"The CCS100 is now available again through Murph's Kits, from (they claim) the same manufacturer who used to make it for Audiovox."

Yep, I just bought one from him and it's a plain white box version of the Audiovox unit, haven't installed it yet, but it looks identical to the Audiovox unit I put on my FJR.

Just installed my Audiovox system over the holidays - I was one of the lucky ones who found out about the close-out deals and purchased two new sets from the parts store for $12 each.... :yahoo:

Still have the second new one sitting on the shelf for future use if needed - just sayin.... ;)

Just installed my Audiovox system over the holidays - I was one of the lucky ones who found out about the close-out deals and purchased two new sets from the parts store for $12 each.... :yahoo:

Still have the second new one sitting on the shelf for future use if needed - just sayin.... ;)

Are you willing to sell spare unit? Considerable profit, of course. ;)

I expect my Audio Vox knock off from Murph's tomorrow and plan on doing the install very soon.. there is tons of "How to" on the forum and u-toob.

I expect my Audio Vox knock off from Murph's tomorrow and plan on doing the install very soon.. there is tons of "How to" on the forum and u-toob.
FarWest, have you given any thought to what you'll use for a switch? There's many ideas out there.

FarWest, have you given any thought to what you'll use for a switch? There's many ideas out there.
Rollie, A "Switch"? I do not under stand your question. BTW, I just friggin love "old style pilsner" I gotta make a Canadian Beer run again.. last trip, I hauled 18 cases of the precious liquid and filled my beer fridge to the top!!!

FWFE

I'll be road tripping it to Orange, CA on Thursday where kaitsdad is going to install my Audiovox CC. Cant wait!

Rollie, A "Switch"? I do not under stand your question. BTW, I just friggin love "old style pilsner" I gotta make a Canadian Beer run again.. last trip, I hauled 18 cases of the precious liquid and filled my beer fridge to the top!!!

FWFE
FWFE, love your beer too. Tend to consume a fair bit of it when we get down for our annual jaunt to your great roads in ID, WA, OR and CA.

About the switch, there's umteen ways to mount the main switch and as many ways to weather proof it. I just finished adding a page to my dorky webpage and if you look up New Switch Setup, you may find that usefull. :)

My link

Rollie, Thats a cool switch enclosure and the momentary switches. So. Where are these products available?

FWFE
I hope I'm not confusing you with all the information on the website. With the New Switch Setup you no longer need the factory switch nor the enclosure. The enclosure was a sealed electrical enclosure that I machined to allow the switch to fit inside, but again, no longer needed.

With the new toggle switch setup you'll need:

1. One micro switch.

2. 22 gauge wire, ideally 3 different colors.

3. Replacement blank for the flash-to-pass blank located in the left handlebar switch unit. I can machine you one of these.

4. Option. One rocker switch if you want to ability to switch off the CC.

I could provide you with a pre-wired micro-switch, a male end connector and the machined blank as shown on the 2nd picture on the link below. I've also got a couple of extra rocker switches as shown in the 3rd picture.

New Switch Setup

Rollie, Thats a cool switch enclosure and the momentary switches. So. Where are these products available?

FWFE
I hope I'm not confusing you with all the information on the website. With the New Switch Setup you no longer need the factory switch nor the enclosure. The enclosure was a sealed electrical enclosure that I machined to allow the switch to fit inside, but again, no longer needed.

1. One micro switch.

3. Replacement blank for the flash-to-pass blank located in the left handlebar switch unit. I can machine you one of these.

I could provide you with a pre-wired micro-switch, a male end connector and the machined blank as shown on the 2nd picture on the link below. I've also got a couple of extra rocker switches as shown in the 3rd picture.

New Switch Setup
Hey, any chance I could get one of those setups?

About a month ago I decided to add an AVCC and have been researching the install. I came to the same conclusion you did, that using the micro-switches and mounting them in the left switch housing is the way to go. I ordered the switches and boots based on Brundog's install and had planned to follow his install as far placement but I think yours is MUCH nicer.

Actually, assuming you used the same size micro-switch and boot, I would really just need the machined aluminum piece. I could use the connector that comes with the kit and do the wiring myself. Of course, I'd be more than happy to pay you for your time, materials, etc. Please let me know.

Thanks.

FWFE

1. One micro switch.

New Switch Setup
Hey, any chance I could get one of those setups?

About a month ago I decided to add an AVCC and have been researching the install. I came to the same conclusion you did, that using the micro-switches and mounting them in the left switch housing is the way to go. I ordered the switches and boots based on Brundog's install and had planned to follow his install as far placement but I think yours is MUCH nicer.

Actually, assuming you used the same size micro-switch and boot, I would really just need the machined aluminum piece. I could use the connector that comes with the kit and do the wiring myself. Of course, I'd be more than happy to pay you for your time, materials, etc. Please let me know.

Thanks.
SCB, I just updated my web page to make it a bit easier to follow. I show my email address on there and I could send you a machined insert but turns out that's the hardest part to produce. I'd like to get $50 for my trouble so you may want to buy the whole kit for $75. Let me know.

Toggle Switch Modification

Rollie, just got my Murph's kit last nite, and I do like your switch housing, clean and neat. so, im me so we can work something out!

FWFE