Anybody going to the ROT (Republic of Texas) rally 6/12-6/15?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xarmor

Reaction score
Anybody heading to the Texas ROT rally? I went last year and it was a whole bunch of fun. Going to be some great bands. Tons of bikes of all types (mostly Harleys) and it is a great time. I may be able to help some people from out of town if you need info or a place to camp. Anyway I am going to head out there and it would be cool to meet some new riders in the Texas area.

Anybody heading to the Texas ROT rally? I went last year and it was a whole bunch of fun. Going to be some great bands. Tons of bikes of all types (mostly Harleys) and it is a great time. I may be able to help some people from out of town if you need info or a place to camp. Anyway I am going to head out there and it would be cool to meet some new riders in the Texas area.
I know some people that have been to it and they say it's fun but I stay away from them type of rallys. I do go to the rally in Galveston sometimes but haven't been in a couple years now.

Too much drama, too much congestion and too much noise pollution for me. I would not mind seeing some of the bands though.

You have fun and take lots of photos and give us a rally report.

Been to ROT twice......once just a drive through....second an overnight. Wow, what a waste of time. I wasn't even on my harley. Did give austin a lot of my money, though.......they happy bout that?

Sorry... I'd rather ride the roads around Kerrville than spend a week with 60,000 motorized igloo coolers, coleslaw wrestling, and arguments over whose leather fringe is the longest...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing Ray... I just don't want to be standing next to you while you're wearing it...

Thumbnail.jpg

not only no. but HELL NO! too many drunken riders, with unknown skill sets, concentrated in one area and trying to show off. i stay as far away from those disasters as i can.

Not for me, as it's too much like New Year's Eve, a good time for the amateurs to come out. I have a couple of friends who head up the ortho team at the trauma center here, and they say it's the best weekend of the year. Plenty of business, and a lot of these folks actually have in$urance. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess in some ways I agree, there are a whole bunch of idiots running around the streets of Austin during this rally. I don't do any of the scheduled rides and I especially stay away from the parade down Congress ave. There are some inteeresting bikes to look at, and some good concerts at night. This is only my second year going to this thing, maybe I should just dtive there!!! I agree about the roads around Kerrville, nice time of year to ride the Hill country.

Not a fan. I work for EMS in Austin and I get tired of the yearly carnage. Last year the the much bally-hoo'd attraction was the drive through beer tent on site. Two years ago we had a total of 11 fatalities. I personally worked the fatality with the Faux fire truck (a ride for paying patrons), the head-on with the pick-up and biker who turned in front of the dump truck. Meanwhile, everyone else is sick of loud pipes and juvenile bikers who are here for "adult spring break".

Not a fan. I work for EMS in Austin and I get tired of the yearly carnage. Last year the the much bally-hoo'd attraction was the drive through beer tent on site. Two years ago we had a total of 11 fatalities. I personally worked the fatality with the Faux fire truck (a ride for paying patrons), the head-on with the pick-up and biker who turned in front of the dump truck. Meanwhile, everyone else is sick of loud pipes and juvenile bikers who are here for "adult spring break".
PM me, my wife is an ER nurse at Brack.

I guess I'd have to agree with the consensus of opinions on the ROT. Rode over once from Houston on a ZX11 in about 2002 and only hung around for 2 or 3 hours. I do have a couple of other motives; a son (just out of the Navy) attending Texas State in San Marcos and a daughter in Houston that just bought a 1200 Sportster (I have already advised her that was a bad choice). She and a boyfriend with a Honda Spirit are planning to ride over to Austin for the ROT. I have to admit, I worry about her on a Harley Sportster in traffic. She has already ridden it to Austin once, however, and did discover how uncomfortable they can be for a ride of more than 50 miles or so.

Current bikes besides the 2004 FJR are a CBR1000F set up for touring (bar risers and Givi luggage) and a 1985 VMAX. Past bikes include the ZX11, a CBR1100XX, a couple of KZ1300's, numerous other Kawasaki's, a Norton, a Triumph TR6, a BSA, plus quite a few other assorted bikes. Once biking gets into your blood, it generally stays.

I did enjoy meeting numerous other FJR riders in Eureka Springs a few weeks ago during the SE regional gathering here. I hadn't been following the board for a while, but luckily noticed a slew of FJR's in town on Friday night, then joined them for some riding around the state on Saturday.

Um.....me thinks I'll just leave that one alone.......................

You know on the bright side of the whole thing is the fact that the local roads that typically see a lot of harley traffic will likely be a lot less crowded.