Anybody running the Sena SMH-10R?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
I’ve had an SMH-10 for a while and consider it to be an altogether splendid device. I only use it for cell phone: connected through my Zumo 660 to my Droid.. The only negative is that a helmet with the Borg-like SMH-10 on the side won’t fit in a hard pannier.

When the SMH-10R came out I thought “That’s for me” and ordered one up from Revzilla. So far, it’s turned out to be a totally worthless POS. It won’t communicate through the ZUMO at all. Can’t really pair it directly to the Droid as the voice prompt function is so flaky and unreliable as to be useless. I’m not real keen on pulling the phone out of my pocket and trying to hand dial with gloves on while underway.

I thought I’d try to download a firmware update from the Sena site but, when I tried to run their device manager I got a windows warning that this software might permanently wreck my computer.

So, here I sit with a worthless pile of wires and gizmos. Anybody got any ideas?

Remember... Senna's quality control department sucks sweaty donkey balls. You may have a bad mic, may just have to reset your unit, or it could be FUBAR all together. You would think by now they could work some of the bugs out.

Call them and let them know yours won't work right. Although QC is stupid/nonexistent, their customer service is acceptable.

Huh...I bought an SMH10 about a month ago and so far it's been flawless. I pair it with a 665 and iphone 3gs. I've been looking for a setup to pair these devises for a while and found nothing acceptable until I bought the sena. The sena's firmware is up to date and is the zumos, and I couldn't be happier. Talk to sena and perhaps revzilla too.

Huh...I bought an SMH10 about a month ago and so far it's been flawless. I pair it with a 665 and iphone 3gs. I've been looking for a setup to pair these devises for a while and found nothing acceptable until I bought the sena. The sena's firmware is up to date and is the zumos, and I couldn't be happier. Talk to sena and perhaps revzilla too.
Yep. MY SMH-10 has worked great right out of the box. The SMH-10R on the other hand; not so much.

AND that's the problem. Sena stuff is hit and miss. My brother's unit was perfect. Mine had a bad mic that had to be sent back. My wife's wouldn't work until I reset it and since then it has been flawless.

Now mine is doing the thing where it will cut in and out until you turn it off and back on. My brother's does it too, as well as Gary's and I'm sure a few others. You just never know what you're gonna get with them.

Ive been happy with Sena too, I'm considering buying a second sets for a spare and group rides.

Last edited by a moderator: