Anyone else garage-less?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topanga

Reaction score
I need to cover the FJR better for the winter here in SoCal. Contrary to popular belief, the weather can be pretty bad sometimes, and where I live it's compounded by the fact that is can get really windy, 70 mph gusts aren't unheard of during the windy season. Add rain and it's pretty sucky. (OK I know it's not 30 below, but...)

I have been looking at these so called "garages".

https://www.cycleshell.com/specs.html

Anyone out there with one, or similar? I like the idea of a complete cover.

I'd spend the winter looking for a house with a garage. :)

IMO, those temp garages provide little in the way of wind protection. They're giant sails and may get blown over in 70mph winds. They do, however, provide UV and rain protection. if you can prevent the accumulation of condensation. You don't want your bike sitting in a wet sauna.

YMMV

I use a storage facility. It's not the most cost effective resource for the 6 months of winter here but at least I can drive over and take it out if we catch a nice day. Some of the larger storage sheds aren't a bad idea either, unless you rent of course.

Just park next to a tree.....the leaves will provide uv protection and cover from precipitation. The stump of the tree will help prevent tip-overs.

I need to cover the FJR better for the winter here in SoCal. Contrary to popular belief, the weather can be pretty bad sometimes, and where I live it's compounded by the fact that is can get really windy, 70 mph gusts aren't unheard of during the windy season. Add rain and it's pretty sucky. (OK I know it's not 30 below, but...)
I have been looking at these so called "garages".

https://www.cycleshell.com/specs.html

Anyone out there with one, or similar? I like the idea of a complete cover.

i just ordered the tourer model from mark..i'll get it in a few weeks..mark told me of another fella that bought one who owns a fjr also. i contaced him but the guy had yet to receive it, maybe i'll here from him monday.

i plan to put a small fan on a timer inside mine to circulate the air to help prevent condensation. of course the winters here in pensacola are pretty mild, and the winds are no where near 70 mph. with that kind of wind you are better off building a structure to house your fjr.

There's always the plywood lean-to option.

One winter I had the bike in the living room on a sheet of plywood. Ah, livin' single B)

I just toss a cheap cover on the bike and use the belly strap if it's going to be windy. Never had a problem here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That shell looks good to me.

The one thing I would be concerned with leaving my bike outdoors under a cover is that the dirt must be covered to prevent moisture from wicking up into the bikes temporary home. That plastic base should accomplish that.

The simple redneck solution that will only take an afternoon to do.

what you need:

1) stud finder

2) hardware for a latch and two hinges

3) a circular saw

4) 2 6 packs of beer and a credit card.

First had the credit card off to you wife and tell her to go make her self perdie.

Second go the the back side of your house, preferably someehere you canget your bike to.

third, measure the max width of your bike and add 1 foot for good measure.

fourth, Find a stud somewhere convienient.

Fifth, crack into that first six pack and drink until you are numb enough to do something stupid

sixth, you know what to do with the circular saw and hardware.

once you made you new garrage door, move the bike in for the winter, call your wife and tell her she is perdie and to get back home you have a surprize for her.

Finally, place the second sixpack in the dog house cause thats were your sleepin till spring.

Seriously, it only took an afternoon to do :)

I just took a better look at the site and will be ordering one, thanks. If you click on "use" they show the fjr as their example bike, sweet!

Yeah, I think it's the ticket. The WebBike review and others seem to all be positive. The fact it has a decent base is the selling point for me, and it seems a lot easier than my current "water resistent" cover

I, too, am garageless. I use the Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus and it functions without flaw. Used it for just over a year with an 06 V-Max with no noticeable corrosion or fading. On the FJR, the large size barely fits without the bags. Thinking about picking up an extra large during biketoberfest in Daytona. Granted, winters in N. FL are mild, but the rain and sun during other seasons are not. As long as I apply a silicone water & UV proofing spray every three months, it keeps the water beading. I've seen it take 2 inches of rain in an hour and 3 days straight of rain: any bike parts touching the top of the cover get wet (windshield, mirrors, grips, passenger backrest, tail) but the rest of the bike stays dry. Going on two years and there is NO fading/spotting/discoloration on the bike cover--which is close to unbelievable.

I use a storage facility. It's not the most cost effective resource for the 6 months of winter here but at least I can drive over and take it out if we catch a nice day. Some of the larger storage sheds aren't a bad idea either, unless you rent of course.
KenPo,

You are significantly south of me. Last year I rode my FJR until mid January. It didn't come out again until April. That is only ~ 3 months. Don't go hiding your bike for some of the best riding of the year...

-Fred

(Londonderry, NH)

PS - Just took a bitchen' ride this afternoon through the hills and dales of Cow Hampshire. I'm amazed at how few bikes were out on the road today when the sun is shining and temps are in the 50's and 60's. I guess the cruzer crowd is done for the year already.

KenPo,

You are significantly south of me. Last year I rode my FJR until mid January. It didn't come out again until April. That is only ~ 3 months. Don't go hiding your bike for some of the best riding of the year...

Fred,

You are correct sir. Last winter was pretty mild and I was riding into December. That was on a cruiser though, I plan to keep this bad boy out longer. Another reason I'm going to pick up this shell.

Dave

P.S. I do a lot of riding up in NH as well as MA, CT, VT and RI, perhaps we'll cross paths.

KenPo,

Fred,

You are correct sir. Last winter was pretty mild and I was riding into December. That was on a cruiser though, I plan to keep this bad boy out longer. Another reason I'm going to pick up this shell.

Dave

P.S. I do a lot of riding up in NH as well as MA, CT, VT and RI, perhaps we'll cross paths.
I'm sure we will if you ride up this way. I don't ride the southern tier much. Too many brain dead cagers.

I ride the bike year round, stays outside by the front door ( I live in the town center ) for instant go. I use one of those silver colored generic bike covers that you get at the bike store for $50, change it every two years when it gets too faded, so far no leaks. I can buy several years worth for the cost of the bike sail. The large size fits over the saddlebags, and it doesn't blow off in a strom. Plus it rolls up to the size of a rugby ball so you can shove it under the seat if you want to take it along on a tour, or cover the bike when you are at work. :D

When I bought my bike I built an 8'x10' shed specifically for her.

Last edited by a moderator: