Anyone else only getting 5000-6000 miles on Avons??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 6500 miles on my current rear Avon, it's still got plenty of tread, along with a plug. The set before that I got close to 8K on before I swapped the rear for the current fresh one before riding to Reno. I'll put the old one on for another 2Kish miles once the current plugged one is spent.

8200 on my current rear Avon and just barely hitting the wear bars. I'll probably replace them soon after I buy new tupperware for the front.

Glad to hear hitting the wear bars at 7800 miles on the rear seems about middle of the pack. And that's spending a lot of time on the edges :yahoo:

May try pilot roads next time. Riding in the rain is rare for me.

Welcome to my world! I'm getting 3500 on the front but pushing to 4K with the mold webbing still intack on the center tread. I could probubly go 5k on the back and will now since I'm going to start changing my own. I'm starting to feel a little bent-over on the dealer prices for a tire change!

I got 6500 miles on my current rear Avon, it's still got plenty of tread, along with a plug.
See? Told ya that plug would be good-to-go.... ;) :D
I truly do appreciate that advice Dale... it was balls on accurate... :thumbsup:

Was nice to have MadMike's can of fix-a-flat as a backup though... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got about 5500 out of my Avons and about 6000 out of my last set of Pilot Roads. I think a lot of it has to do with how much you twist the throttle.

9,500 on the Z4s (front cupped bad) maybe could have got more out of them. 8,500 on the Pilot Roads, they wore evenly, but I didn't like the way the moved getting into a corner, or the way it "slipped" when crossing a center line or turn lane line. Sold the bike with Avons so don't know mileage. B)

zzzzip said:
9,500 on the Z4s (front cupped bad) maybe could have got more out of them. 8,500 on the Pilot Roads, they wore evenly, but I didn't like the way the moved getting into a corner, or the way it "slipped" when crossing a center line or turn lane line. Sold the bike with Avons so don't know mileage. B)
PS-- my buddy got 10,000 out of the original Z4's, but they were SLICK when they came off. :unsure:

I've bin gettin bout 6500 out of my rears (avons and stones) and the last avon front went 13000 before the cords started showing. The tire had plenty of tread on the center and right side, but on the left side you could see the air inside the tire. Most of my riding is 2 up. Ever try finding a tire on a Monday out in the middle of no where? My next set of tires will be pilot roads. We will see how far they go.

How many folks on this forum change their own tires. I'm giving strong consideration to getting a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight. It's only $100 bucks w/ the motorcycle attachment. I think this is the same rig Fred H. used on his Goldwing DVD set. I anticipate going through many tires on this bike (if I ever get the damn thing).
I've used the HF tire changer for several years, it's not top of the line but works fine. The bar that comes with it will scratch rims, I use one from another manf. that has plastic inserts that don't scratch.

It's paid for itself several times over, between my two riding partners and I we change about 16 to 20 tires a season, it adds up!

Best

Steve

Just changed my Avons today. Got a mere 7400 out of 'em. But to be fair, 1200 of that was with a trailer in tow so I am sure that ate some tread. Put on Pilot Roads today. Got raped at the dealer in a major way. My last visit, $60 to change the set (I removed the wheels). This time, to my surprise, $80! After much fuss, I left vowing to not do business with them again. Oh, well, looks like it is time to buy my own tire changer.

My front tires don't last any longer than the rears.

After 7k mls my avon front is cupped and starting to get shaky.

Rear not in the wear bars yet.

BT020 was worse in this repect.

BT010 lasted just as long cause it didn't cup. (just went bald on the sides. interesting since I don't scrape every week.)

Well, here are a few shots of the 8,000 mile Pilot Roads apon my return from WFO and torturing the bajeezums outta them on some of NorCal's twistiest...

Blurry shot of the cords exposed through a chunk in the tread. 25 miles of off-roading will do that kinda damage, you know? :blink:

IMG_1803.jpg

Yes, I use a lot of rear brake setting up for corners...

IMG_1807.jpg

Yes, I use a whack of throttle off the line...

IMG_1806.jpg

Be warned: At this point of tire wear, the handling goes to shit - big time.

IMG_1805.jpg

The front wore a bit better. Some triangulation and just kissing the wear bars...

IMG_1808.jpg

All-in-all, I'm quite pleased with the PR's v. Avons. Spooned a new PR set on yesterday for 231 samolians OTD. Good traction, stable, better mileage and whiter teef... Oh, wait, that's the new Crest I've been using. Sorry. BTW, regarding Avon's infamous balance weight issue; zero weights on the rear PR and just 1/2 oz. on the front. I'll be sticking with Bib for now on... :good: