Anyone look at the FZ1 first?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting for my 06 FZ1 to arrive as we speak.

The deal was that the bike MIGHT show up late in March for my 50th Birthday but that passed and still no bike. Now the dealer says Yamaha may deliver it sometime in May.

I could have had an FJR! :dribble:

...but I still have plans to get an 07 faster red FJR next year.

QUOTE (XLR8 @ Mar 24 2006, 11:02 PM)

"I owned a 03 FZ1 and took a new 06 out for a pretty good test ride. Although it was different, I thought it was just fine below 6K.

The magazine reviews are full of dog shit on this issue.

-r "

+100 :D

I have read on the FZ1 forum that many new owners here in the US are VERY satisfied with the new FZ1's fuel injection and power delivery. It isn't going to have the bottom end grunt the FJR has but it is quite a bit lighter which makes up for the lack of torque. Some guys are already talking about running lower gear ratio final gears to get to the power band quicker. I doubt seriously I'll need to do that.

I'll let you all know how it goes with my new FZ1. You will probably see me and Rad on them at this Falls' EOM in Boone, NC.

I may wear out some tires this year on 421.

Roger B

Last edited by a moderator:
At one point, I was looking at last years FZ1. But the new one has been changed to be closer to the R1. In fact, I'm puzzled by Yamaha's marketing decision to do that. I think there needs to be more sport bikes with ergonomics and styling to appeal to the "older" sport bike riders (I'm 53 years old) who aren't interested in the "lay down on the tank with your knees in your chest" riding style. Also, I live in the Houston area where I have to ride 50 miles each way just to get to some decent back roads.

Yamaha has basically forced guys like me to go to the FJR instead of considering the FZ1. That's fine because I can afford the FJR, but there are many riders who just can't afford the extra $5,000 or $6,000 for the FJR.

Just my opinion, of course.

At one point, I was looking at last years FZ1. But the new one has been changed to be closer to the R1. In fact, I'm puzzled by Yamaha's marketing decision to do that. I think there needs to be more sport bikes with ergonomics and styling to appeal to the "older" sport bike riders (I'm 53 years old) who aren't interested in the "lay down on the tank with your knees in your chest" riding style. Also, I live in the Houston area where I have to ride 50 miles each way just to get to some decent back roads.
Yamaha has basically forced guys like me to go to the FJR instead of considering the FZ1. That's fine because I can afford the FJR, but there are many riders who just can't afford the extra $5,000 or $6,000 for the FJR.

Heh Jim, Selling the ST1300...what's the skinny on that ride?

The FJR is great for long trips, the FZ-1 is great for short ones. I have owned both and any guff that the old or new ones lack power down low is strictly opinion.

As powerbands have moved higher, the low end has suffered. My last FZ-1 needed a little clutch down low, but nothing to make me sell the bike. And a new pipe, jetting and some dyno tuning made all the difference in the world.

As for the new one, I suspect a little tuning will also fix any "perceived lack of power" due to factory tuning for mpg and emmisions.

The new FZ-1 has a more aggressive seating position, which I don't like. When I sat on the new FZ-1, it made up my mind and I bought the R-1 instead. The new Fizzy is a beautiful machine, I just don't want to compromise my seating position.

If I am gonna have to suffer, might as well go all the way.

And the FJR remains the king of anything longer than 100 miles at my house. It just has a serious appetite for tires!

Go and sit on them and decide for yourself. Forums are great but the occasional loose nut gets among the bolts and causes contention and spreads supposition.

Grain of salt anyone?

Another beautiful SoCal Sunday morning, I'm off to ride!

Thanks everyone, for your comments.

Just the stuff I was looking for!

Wating to here from dealer they are in, then I can check them out in person.

Truth be told, I hope when I sit on them both that I don't find the FJR way more comfortable then the FZ. If they are close in comfort/riding position it will be a no-brainer for me to get the FZ.

On the other-hand, I'm worried I will just plain love the FJR, and that will be that! :p

Thanks again, I'll let you know when I get a chance to check them both out.

Cheers!

Todd

Hey Todd,

You might want to check out the FZ10a Message Board...

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/index.php?s=

It's busy with many new FZ1 owners posting their own riding impressions of the new bike.

It's all subjective, but most reviews are VERY clear and positive about the power delivery and rider comfort.

I've ridden bikes from one end of the spectrum to the other and I THINK the FZ1 will fall nicely somewhere in between.

How it fits each owner is purely a personal preference thing, but from what I've read over there it seems it can be ridden leisurely with little effort or can be pushed very hard within it's limits and leave the rider grinning from ear to ear.

As with all bikes in the "standard" class, there will be plenty of mods out there to adjust the bike to your liking.

I can't wait to get mine!

Roger

If Yamaha would offer the saddlebags in the US I would be waiting on a FZ, actually I'm still considering one and trying to import the bags. The major drawback is my wife would not be happy.

If Yamaha would offer the saddlebags in the US I would be waiting on a FZ, actually I'm still considering one and trying to import the bags. The major drawback is my wife would not be happy.
My major drawback is the color. Saw one in Daytona and the red does nothing for me. I've comfortably done many 1,000 mile days on my BLUE Fz-1 with camping gear.

I've been baffled by some of the choices Yamaha made in the re-vamped FZ-1.

1) FI and more power--more power is always a good thing. Synching TBs on the FJR is a heluva lot easier than synching carbs on my '02 FZ1--you can get to the adjustment screws a lot easier. While you can re-jet the carbs, installing a DynoJet takes 1/10 the effort. Custom maps are alot easier than re-jetting.

2) Less low-down power. Huh? Why do that?

3) Weird new forks. CSW and Traxxion could work miracles with the old Yam forks. Why not just do that?

4) Aluminum frame: Lighter, stronger. I don't see a down-side.

5) Almost a gallon less fuel. WHAT??? You run dry at 140-150 on the older bike. 100 miles to a pump? Bad idea!

6) I gather the shock is harsher--a bad compensation for perceived problems in the stock.

7) More "aggressive" riding position. If I want to lay on the tank with my 50 year old rear end in the air, I'll spring for jelly-bean bike like a GSX-750 for similar $$$.

But my modesty and concern for revolting the rest of the world, not to mention the 50 year old back that goes with says "Uh-uh!". On the older bikes Yam has a low bar as an option. I'll bet the new seat is worse.

8) New colors--YAY! I don't have to LIKE the choices (the 02/03 in the UK had wonderful burgundy color) but at least there are choices....unlike a certain fav sport-tourer we all love....

9) Change can be good. After 5 years the FZ1 may be slowing down in sales and needs a push...but there are lots of things that can get new riders AND get current riders to upgrade. I just don't see it on the new FZ1.

At one point, I was looking at last years FZ1.  But the new one has been changed to be closer to the R1.  In fact, I'm puzzled by Yamaha's marketing decision to do that.  I think there needs to be more sport bikes with ergonomics and styling to appeal to the "older" sport bike riders (I'm 53 years old) who aren't interested in the "lay down on the tank with your knees in your chest" riding style.  Also, I live in the Houston area where I have to ride 50 miles each way just to get to some decent back roads.
Yamaha has basically forced guys like me to go to the FJR instead of considering the FZ1.  That's fine because I can afford the FJR, but there are many riders who just can't afford the extra $5,000 or $6,000 for the FJR.

When I bought the ST, I had just gotten back into motorcycles after a long time away from them. I really wanted a FJR then, but for a few reasons, went with the ST. One, I have an old friend I used to roadrace with who owns a Honda dealer. Also, the ST seemed like a really good compromise as my wife indicated she might like to ride with me. It turns out she really got hooked, and the ST was the best all around bike.

But then, we decided to buy a Goldwing for two up riding. That freed me up to not need a "compromise" bike. So I decided to either buy a Hayabusa or a FJR. I'm 53 years old, and live in Houston - so I decided the FJR really was what I wanted and it is better suited to the 50 miles I have to ride to get to the good roads than a Hayabusa would have been.

I still enjoy riding the ST, and have nothing against it. But I am looking forward to something that is more of a SPORT-touring bike instead of a sport-TOURING bike. No regrets with my choice of the ST, but time to move on.

At one point, I was looking at last years FZ1.  But the new one has been changed to be closer to the R1.  In fact, I'm puzzled by Yamaha's marketing decision to do that.  I think there needs to be more sport bikes with ergonomics and styling to appeal to the "older" sport bike riders (I'm 53 years old) who aren't interested in the "lay down on the tank with your knees in your chest" riding style.  Also, I live in the Houston area where I have to ride 50 miles each way just to get to some decent back roads.
Yamaha has basically forced guys like me to go to the FJR instead of considering the FZ1.  That's fine because I can afford the FJR, but there are many riders who just can't afford the extra $5,000 or $6,000 for the FJR.

When I bought the ST, I had just gotten back into motorcycles after a long time away from them. I really wanted a FJR then, but for a few reasons, went with the ST. One, I have an old friend I used to roadrace with who owns a Honda dealer. Also, the ST seemed like a really good compromise as my wife indicated she might like to ride with me. It turns out she really got hooked, and the ST was the best all around bike.

But then, we decided to buy a Goldwing for two up riding. That freed me up to not need a "compromise" bike. So I decided to either buy a Hayabusa or a FJR. I'm 53 years old, and live in Houston - so I decided the FJR really was what I wanted and it is better suited to the 50 miles I have to ride to get to the good roads than a Hayabusa would have been.

I still enjoy riding the ST, and have nothing against it. But I am looking forward to something that is more of a SPORT-touring bike instead of a sport-TOURING bike. No regrets with my choice of the ST, but time to move on.
There are so many good sport options out there and quite a few standard and naked bikes from many manufacturers.

Truth be told, my decision to go with the 06 FZ1 was based on economics. It's simply the best bang for the buck IMHO.

If you are in no hurry you may want to wait a while to see how it all shakes out with that newly designed model.

I'll be back here and give my riding impressions once I take delivery and get some miles on her.

I spent last summer on an 04 Honda ST1300 so I can make some direct comparisons, but I think we already know the two bikes are nothing alike.

This FZ1 weighs 438lbs. dry, so add another 47lbs fully wet and you still have a machine that's 485lbs with 147hp at the crank, and around 132hp at the rear wheel at 11,000RPM.

Granted you HAVE to rev her to make that kind of power but I really don't think most of us will ever use that on the street. Still the bike is reported to be huge fun even when being driven sanely in the 4,000 to 8,000RPM range and a few guys have said they have done some 300 to 500 mile days already with no mods to the stock seat.

Like I said there are so many good mid size bike choices it's hard to decide but I like the 06 FZ1's looks and attitude because it's closer to being a mix of the R1 and the FJR than anything else out there.

fz1_red_4sized.jpg

Oh yeah, $8,700 OTD @ Atlas Honda/Yamaha, Bristol, VA

Oh and...

9007073790.jpg

Roger B B)

There are so many good sport options out there and quite a few standard and naked bikes from many manufacturers.

Truth be told, my decision to go with the 06 FZ1 was based on economics. It's simply the best bang for the buck IMHO.

If you are in no hurry you may want to wait a while to see how it all shakes out with that newly designed model.

I'll be back here and give my riding impressions once I take delivery and get some miles on her.

I spent last summer on an 04 Honda ST1300 so I can make some direct comparisons, but I think we already know the two bikes are nothing alike.

This FZ1 weighs 438lbs. dry, so add another 47lbs fully wet and you still have a machine that's 485lbs with 147hp at the crank, and around 132hp at the rear wheel at 11,000RPM.

Granted you HAVE to rev her to make that kind of power but I really don't think most of us will ever use that on the street. Still the bike is reported to be huge fun even when being driven sanely in the 4,000 to 8,000RPM range and a few guys have said they have done some 300 to 500 mile days already with no mods to the stock seat.

Like I said there are so many good mid size bike choices it's hard to decide but I like the 06 FZ1's looks and attitude because it's closer to being a mix of the R1 and the FJR than anything else out there.

fz1_red_4sized.jpg

Oh yeah, $8,700 OTD @ Atlas Honda/Yamaha, Bristol, VA

Oh and...

9007073790.jpg

Roger B B)
Congrats on your purchase.