Anyone look at the FZ1 first?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekker

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on my next bike. I am planning on waiting until towards the end of the summer/fall, or even winter if necessary for the best deal.

Looking at both of these bikes, I am hoping for some feedback from any of you with experience with both, as well as any thoughts in general some of you may have.

Background:

I'm 38, 5'8" 30"-ish inseam. Grew up on dirt bikes, then on-off, finally a couple of older street bikes. A 79' Yamaha XS750, a Harley Sportster whatever year, a 96' Kawasaki Vulcan. I feel quite confident in my ability, and especially in my ability to become proficient with whatever ends up being my choice.

I originally looked at some cruisers, but have ultimately decided that I am absolutely about enjoying the ride as opposed to looking cool. While some of those cruisers are relatively comfortable, they don't cut it for the long haul IMHO.

I want enjoyment just going for a ride, I want to have a bike begging to be jumped on for a quick 45-minute rip.....

But I would also like to have the ability to take off on longer trips without wearing a backpack, or booking a chiropractor in advance!

I am single, at least for now! :D , so the two-up edge on the FJR is not so important at this time.

Whew! What a ramble!

Thanks for any thoughts,

T

First things first. Do you currently have a bike? If no, THEN NO WAITING FOR WINTER JUST TO SAVE A DOLLAR!

Sheesh.

Then, buy the FJR.

LOL!

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I am waiting either way, I have a medical issue at the moment that will prevent any riding to the point that I am focusing on a bike for next year.

Cheers!

Okay, really, I have no experience with the FZ1. But if you are planning on anything resembling an occasional "long haul", I think the FJR is what you are looking for. All day comfort, and someplace to haul some stuff.

Check some of the "Other Bike" threads also. Bunch of folks around here have second, third, and fourth bikes (bastards).

And speedy recovery, man.

Oops. Maybe I meant "Sport Bikes" discussions. I don't read there a lot as I don't have one and don't want to subject myself to "sportbike envy".

Just purchased a FJR. Love it. Now I need to sell my 03 FZ1. Great all round super fast bike. OK for an occasional long haul. Bike is completely stock, mint condition. Around 3800 miles. Probably looking for around 5K for it. Located in Birmingham, AL.

FJR is coming to my garage only because my wife has been more interested lately in coming out on some rides with me. Otherwise I would have replaced my Suzuki Bandit 1200 with the FZ1, a bike more in tune with my riding style. You make the call, one is a GT bike with power and room to spare, the other a race replica with a plastic delete option and sane ergos. Either way, you win.

I have both bikes. Both are pretty wonderful. Both are really versatile. But for the difference in price you can do an AWFUL lot to an FZ1 to make it what you want.

Over-size windshields and lowers are available. Givi hard luggage can be fitted. And Ivan's Performance Products jet kit, with a replacement can, will give you around 130hp and 78ft/lbs of torque. In fact, modifying the FZ1 is a WHOLE lot easier than the FJR because you can get at stuff easier.

Yamaha did a couple of stupid things on the FJR--they made it hard to get at the battery, and harder to get at the fuse block--on the FZ1 you pull the seat and there they are.

Or you can go the other direction and make the FZ1 into a hoolie-bike--lowers, slice off the rear fender and get an undertail, lower the forks in the suspension, etc.

Both bikes are so stable at triple digits you'll think your doing 75.

But you won't have a shaft drive or ABS on the FZ1.

If you are single and mostly plan on always riding solo, get the FZ1. But if you really like LD touring rides and especially for two-up and/or lots of luggage then get the FJR.

And Ivan's Performance Products jet kit, with a replacement can, will give you around 130hp and 78ft/lbs of torque.
Dayum, I didn't realize a Fizzy was so gutless.

78 ftlbs AFTER and Ivan's and slip-on?

So, stock Fizzies fear Piaggios, huh? :haha:

A Fizzy's worst nightmare at the track:

piaggio.gif

Dayum, I didn't realize a Fizzy was so gutless.
78 ftlbs AFTER and Ivan's and slip-on?

So, stock Fizzies fear Piaggios, huh?  :haha:
Yup. Stock they make 120-125hp and 72-73ft/lbs...

And a stock FZ1 will spank a stock FJR in 0-60, the 1/4mile, and in the twisties!

An Ivanized one with a slip-on will whup an FJR with a Dynojet and slip-ons as well.

Pretty gutless!

(don't get me wrong--I still love my Feejer and if I HAD to give one up, it would probably be the Fizzy--but it would be tough.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are going to longer rides, or just want that planted "aint no wind gonna blow me around" feel, you want an FZ1. And the new FZ1, is darn near an upright R1 really. :D

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are going to longer rides, or just want that planted "aint no wind gonna blow me around" feel, you want an FZ1. And the new FZ1, is darn near an upright R1 really. :D
-r
The new FZ1's are really nice! They put the "Real" R1 motor in it from last year!

-r
The new FZ1's are really nice! They put the "Real" R1 motor in it from last year!
I believe that it has a very slightly detuned R1 engine from this year's R1.

-r

Unfortunately, or fortunartely depending on your riding style, the new FZ1 doesn't do much below 6,000 to 7,000 rpm. Hang on after that though.

Glenn

Unfortunately, or fortunartely depending on your riding style, the new FZ1 doesn't do much below 6,000 to 7,000 rpm. Hang on after that though.
Glenn
I owned a 03 FZ1 and took a new 06 out for a pretty good test ride. Although it was different, I thought it was just fine below 6K.

The magazine reviews are full of dog shit on this issue.

-r

OK the mags are were I read this so i'll take them with a grain of salt.
Glenn
BTW, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you about your comment.

Over on the FZ1 forum there are a bunch of new buyers getting cold feet because the journalists feel it doesn't have enough on the low end.

It's entirely not the same as the old FZ1 but it's not as bad as they make is sound.

-r