Anyone riding with music, a question for ya...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. NO personal music collection should be without Quadrophenia!
Don't forget Tommy!!! both are staples in my Ipod!!

Make sure you get earbuds that are small! (I use Skullcandy metallic's that have a wire coming right out the back and no downward protrusions) that will make LD riding with it much much more comfortable :)

In the bad old days I worked in a recording studio, so I am pretty critical.

I HAD an autocom installed (actually it is STILL installed, but I don;t use it) and now I plug my Westone UM-2 ear canal headphones into the Zumo (or iPod, depending on my equipment mix) when I ride.

To make them a bit more rounded I use Shure's triple-flange sleeves with them - they work great and I get to listen to music, directions and incoming phone calls while out riding;

5000 or so songs, mostly from the 60's, 70's and so on make the ride very enjoyable.

I've had XM since it came out. The only time without tunes was the 125 mile ride home from the dealer .
The FJR is so smooth a high speeds, I have to pay attention to my speeding. Last time it was 100mph and Ted Nugent.

Once in Daytona, I rode without a helmet/tunes for a very brief time. I that my FJR was going to blow up from all the new noises I heard.
yep

for moi, that's what the electronic cruise control is for

After 35 years of riding, I started wearing ear plugs on all day rides because of aural fatigue. Ten years ago I started wearing hearing aids that I could turn off while riding and they made great custom ear plugs. When I retired four years ago, I vowed to become MP-3 proficient so I bought an I-pod and started riding with music. I use an inexpensive bud with ear "hooks" that hold them in place while putting on my helmet. I have found that if I ride the first 200 miles with music, and then alternate without and back and forth, 600 - 800 mile days are very comfortable.

I wouldn't bother on rides less than 50 - 75 miles, but when heading to either coast or Canada they're nice to have along. I usually power my I-pod with the lighter socket in the lockable compartment.

OBD

I for one can't imagine riding without tunes playing in the background. I even carry a backup iPod just in case the Zumo/XM craps out. For me it actually has the opposite effect, it helps me concentrate. I don't have the music blasting at max volume, just enough to hear something, for without music I start hearing voices in my head, now that's really distracting :dribble: Oh and hearing something like Aferburner by ZZ Top, that's a guaranteed 20mph+ increase in speed :)
I started with ER6i earbuds, but find that anything more than a couple of 1000+ mile days the buds get uncomfortable, and it's extra PITA putting them in and out every time and making sure the wries are run correctly so as not to pull on the buds or get in the way. So my preferred solution now is helmet speakers with disposable foam ear plugs. Sure the sounds quality is not as good, but like i said i run the tunes just loud enough to hear the music instead of voices in my head so perfectly fine...

+1 thats how I roll. wow did i just say that. :blink:

Like most have said, I started wearing ear plugs to block out wind noise and found that I was much more relaxed at the end of a long day. I then got customs (Big Ears) to replace the silence with some music. Short in town trips I still just use ear plugs, but anything longer than about an hour, I listen to music. I cannot listen to anything that involves talk (no podcasts)--too distracting-- but stick to music. I even just use an IPod shuffle so I am not tempted to mess with the thing while riding. On longer trips, my mind wanders more if I don't have the music on.

I found it very distracting and felt unsafe. However, I was very careful and after a couple weeks I longer felt distracted.

That's funny, I actually ride better in the twisties with tunes on, in fact i know i'm in the zone when i realize at the end of a twisty section that i can hear music again, even though it was playing all along.
Exactly!

My bike has been called "the cockpit". Zumo instructions, MP3 music, Radar detector, Bike2Bike radio, cell phone, GF on the intercom; all piped/mixed directly to my helmet speakers. My biggest problem with music is how ZZ Top attracts blue lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one can't imagine riding without tunes playing in the background. I even carry a backup iPod just in case the Zumo/XM craps out. For me it actually has the opposite effect, it helps me concentrate. I don't have the music blasting at max volume, just enough to hear something, for without music I start hearing voices in my head, now that's really distracting :dribble: Oh and hearing something like Aferburner by ZZ Top, that's a guaranteed 20mph+ increase in speed :)
I started with ER6i earbuds, but find that anything more than a couple of 1000+ mile days the buds get uncomfortable, and it's extra PITA putting them in and out every time and making sure the wries are run correctly so as not to pull on the buds or get in the way. So my preferred solution now is helmet speakers with disposable foam ear plugs. Sure the sounds quality is not as good, but like i said i run the tunes just loud enough to hear the music instead of voices in my head so perfectly fine...

+1 thats how I roll. wow did i just say that. :blink:
+2 on foam plugs with helmet speakers. Every time I know that I'm going to be on the road for an hour or more, I've got to have my tunes. Hey which one of you voices just said that? Dang, I better turn the music back on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Like most have said, I started wearing ear plugs to block out wind noise and found that I was much more relaxed at the end of a long day. I then got customs (Big Ears) to replace the silence with some music. Short in town trips I still just use ear plugs, but anything longer than about an hour, I listen to music. I cannot listen to anything that involves talk (no podcasts)--too distracting-- but stick to music. I even just use an IPod shuffle so I am not tempted to mess with the thing while riding. [SIZE=14pt]On longer trips, my mind wanders more if I don't have the music on.[/SIZE]
On longer trips having the radio really pays over the canned ipod music. Listening to talk stations will keep you awake while music sooner or later won't.

I'm glad to see this topic. It addresses a question I've had for a long time. With wind noise, I've never been able to adjust the fairing so I'm riding in a bubble of silence unless I hunker down, don't you have to have the volume up to a level that over time could cause hearing loss?
I can run the stock shield with a rifle tuning block on my Gen I w/ the volume set between 1/3 and 1/2 of the range available to my XM radio, which is plenty low. One of the big finds was Skullcandy earbuds to block ambient noise. I haven't found my ideal winter setup yet - have to run 1/2+ on the volume control with my CeeBailey +4,+4 unless I duck into the bubble of still air. Have hopes for clean air from a Rifle shield I just bought but haven't tried yet.

I have an autocom system and use my mp3 player with it. I enjoy the music, but do find that sometimes it can be a distraction, just like anything else you do while riding. I ride with foam earplugs in and the speakers in my helmet. This keeps the music as background noise. Not as distracting that way. You always have the option of turning off the music in high traffic/stress intensive situations.

The choice is yours, but we each know our ability to multi task. Take some time and moderate use until you get comfortable.

my $.02, Tom

I'm a commuter, so music is a must. Helmet mounted speakers, with in-line volume control located at my jacket neck line. I also wear ear plugs to keep the wind noise and loud music from damaging my hearing which is already jacked from my aircraft maintenance days. I can still hear traffic noise above it all.

I dunno..... :unsure:

There are sooooo many that shuffle on at the right spot in time & space......

Ramblin' Man by the Allman Brothers

Call me the Breeze by Skynyrd

"Call me the breeze

I keep blowin' down the road

Well now they call me the breeze

I keep blowin' down the road

I ain't got me nobody

I don't carry me no load "

Etc., etc., etc.....