Anyone tried a Fieldsheer Iceberg Cooling Vest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
Did a search of iceberg and got nothing.

Did a search for Fieldsheer and cooling and got a couple of hits but nothing about this vest.

Motorcycle Closeouts has a Fieldsheer Iceberg Cooling Vest:

300 denier nylon oxford and wrinkled Taslan shell

10” zippered front

Elasticized panels on the sides for best fit

Evaporative cooling system uses polymers to absorb body heat and release it through external vest surface

For cooling system to work, submerge the vest in water until desired absorbtion is achieved and then put on over a t-shirt

The longer the vest is hydrated, the heavier it will be and the longer it will be effective

Can be worn with jackets or suits

All jackets or suits worn in conjunction with the Iceberg vest must be perforated or mesh for best performance

Notes: Wow! This thing really works! Just soak it in water for 1-3 minutes, let it drip a bit, put it on over your t-shirt and under any mesh jacket and go riding. In our experience, it works for about 2 hours before needing more water.

Now the part that concerns me is the "works for about 2 hours..." part. The part I like is $29 and it is local so I don't have to pay shipping.

Any first hand experience?

TIA.

Did a search of iceberg and got nothing.Did a search for Fieldsheer and cooling and got a couple of hits but nothing about this vest.

10” zippered front

Evaporative cooling system uses polymers to absorb body heat and release it through external vest surface

For cooling system to work, submerge the vest in water until desired absorbtion is achieved and then put on over a t-shirt

The longer the vest is hydrated, the heavier it will be and the longer it will be effective

All jackets or suits worn in conjunction with the Iceberg vest must be perforated or mesh for best performance

Notes: Wow! This thing really works! Just soak it in water for 1-3 minutes, let it drip a bit, put it on over your t-shirt and under any mesh jacket and go riding. In our experience, it works for about 2 hours before needing more water.

Now the part that concerns me is the "works for about 2 hours..." part. The part I like is $29 and it is local so I don't have to pay shipping.

TIA.
I would pass on it. Get the Mira Cool Vest. It will hold water all day. The one your looking at will only hold for about 30 minutes on real hot on the freeway.

Did a search of iceberg and got nothing.Did a search for Fieldsheer and cooling and got a couple of hits but nothing about this vest.

10” zippered front

TIA.
I would pass on it. Get the Mira Cool Vest. It will hold water all day. The one your looking at will only hold for about 30 minutes on real hot on the freeway.
Is your knowledge first hand? I'm aware of the techniche vest and have read the first hand reports. I'll go with that if the Fieldsheer is known to not be good. the return policy at motorcycle close outs is good so if it didn't work I'd return it.

10” zippered front

TIA.
Is your knowledge first hand? I'm aware of the techniche vest and have read the first hand reports. I'll go with that if the Fieldsheer is known to not be good. the return policy at motorcycle close outs is good so if it didn't work I'd return it.

I've used two types of cooling vests; one by Marcee ($100, a friend loned it to me) and one by Moto-Boss ($30 I own this one). Both did just fine. I would be willing to bet a cooling vest is a cooling vest, heck you could probably use a wet T-shirt and it'll do the same bloody thing. The cool vest just keeps more water to last longer. $30 Vs $100, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean mo betta.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this site about cool vest. I think it spells it out very well.
Clicky
Very helpful!

The FS Iceberg is the polymer embedded material from the sound of the description. And to me that sounds like the lesser of the two inexpensive options. Maybe still good but the crystals sound like the way to go.

I just placed an order on TuffRhino for a Miracool vest.

Lee

Techniche cooling vest... best fricking $40 I've ever spent on gear. B)
That's the one I'm looking at, too. Do you have the high collar version, or the standard?

Mike
Standard and I've been very happy with it. :)
I'm sold on the idea, but who has this brand? I found others, but everyone seems to like the Techniche.
Ordered mine from www.denniskirk.com. They have a couple choices in style and color. I picked the high collar silver. Just search "cooling vest".

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three cooling vests.

First I bought a Joe Rocket Safari about 4 years ago for $75...when new, lasted about 2-3 hours and needed a water recharge. After 1.5 years, it lost it's ability to hold water at all. Same technology as the Techniche which I purchased 1 year ago last spring. Same story, lasted 3 hours, but now a year later lost it's ability to hold water.

I recently purchased a Miracool and it still is holding water since Thursday, but when I get home, I just plop it into a bucket of water so I'm good to go at a moments notice - instructions say when dry to soak it for 20-30 minutes which sometimes is not enough heads up time for me to jump on the bike and go when a riding podna calls offering to ride somewhere on a 10 minute notice.

I'm very happy with the Miracool for $30 total including shipping as far as it goes.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I have a cooling vest that use in the high "hot" desert in California. I ride around the Palmdale to Bishop and along the Southern Sierras. I don't leave home without it. I presoak mine and place it in a plastic bag for later use. The best thing is I don't whave to wait for it to soak up. One addition item I use from my backpacking gear is a water retaining scarf filled with simular material as the vest. The length of time varies greatly depending on weather (low humitity faster dry out) and "air"flow.

I'm sold on the idea, but who has this brand? I found others, but everyone seems to like the Techniche.
No go with the Mira Cool.
ordered 2 from tuffrhino yesterday. shipping was the same for 2 as 1. figure I'll sell the second to a buddy.

Lee
If you typically wear an XL is that what size you ordered? Do you want these to be kind of snug like heating gear?

Thanks,

Dave