Anyone tried a Fieldsheer Iceberg Cooling Vest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one and decided to give it a test this evening. Temp. in the low 90's and very high humidity. Soaked it for 15 minutes and set out. It made a difference for 45 minutes and after that, even thought it was still wet,I was getting hotter. Removed the vest and continued to ride and found the vanson Ventmax jacket cooler than the vest.FYI.

Jack.
Jack,

Which one did you test? Was it the Crystals version or the Polymer Fiber version?

Lee

I have one and decided to give it a test this evening. Temp. in the low 90's and very high humidity. Soaked it for 15 minutes and set out. It made a difference for 45 minutes and after that, even thought it was still wet,I was getting hotter. Removed the vest and continued to ride and found the vanson Ventmax jacket cooler than the vest.FYI.

Jack.
Jack, cooling vests do no work well in high humidity.

The only thing about the MiraCool that I don't like is that after a day or 2 it starts to ripen like a good bier chasse! <_<
I would expect that like with any of the cooling vests, you need to let it completely dry b4 packing it up. That's a problem if you're moving your base camp around & HAVE to close that sucker up.

I'd think that rinsing it really well with soap and water will cure that problem. Might be a pain to do... but better than riding around smelling like ripe cheese.

Jack.
Jack, cooling vests do no work well in high humidity.
I sort of wondered all along how they'd work in MO humidity. I didn't ask directly but hearing Patriot sing praises (from Nawlins, no less) I figured they must be effective in humidity. That is sort of why I asked Jack about "crystals or fiber." I'd think the crystal versions might have more of a chemical reaction to cause cooling and less of a need for evaporation (that is not really happening in 85% humidity).

Guess that I should've said: they do not work "as well" in high humidity. If it is so humid that you can cut the air, you won't be getting a ton of evaporation from a wet vest. Supposedly, evaporation is how these things work.

Last edited by a moderator: