Anyone tried or use Howard Leight Pilot ear plugs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note: the link leads to a 26dB reduction ear plug.

26dB is ALOT less than 33dB OR 36dB...it's not a linear scale.

If 26dB is enough for you...that's fine. Just pointing that out. :clapping:

I guess I should only buy a couple of sets for her to try out. If it is quiet enough for her, then I would buy a box of them.

True, dat! But the biggest difference between earplugs and attenuation is how well they seal to the ear canal. If these seal as well as the MAX, a true 26 dB of attenuation may be enough. Won't know without trying them...

I should try these. I've been trying to find ear plugs that don't attenuate too much. The Walmart ones at 32 attenuate too much. I have speakers in the helmet so I need to be able to hear the music as well as attenuate some of the outside noise.

I should try these. I've been trying to find ear plugs that don't attenuate too much. The Walmart ones at 32 attenuate too much. I have speakers in the helmet so I need to be able to hear the music as well as attenuate some of the outside noise.
FWIW, I have found that the music sounds the best when the attenuation is maximized. I know that this is counter-intuitive, and can't really explain why it happens, but it does. I think it has to do with the low frequency wind noise overwhelming your hearing when you don't have enough attenuation. Not that is would stop me from trying something new. There is always some room for improvement.

I wear Leight earplugs but not the foam ones. I work in a high noise environment so we're required to wear hearing protection pretty much all day so we get to try many different styles/types to find what works best for each person. I prefer, as others have mentioned, variable levels of attenuation so I use the 4 flange industrial AirSoft ones b/c they insert easily, stay put and the different sized flanges attenuate differently based simply on how far they're inserted. Plus b/c they rubber they're washable, reducing the possibility of ear problems/infections & relating to less cost in the long run- I've been there 22 yrs. That equates to a lot of earplugs!

I'm a purchasing agent for a VERY large plant and the guys like these because they can toss them out after a day....

Guess if you dont have to pay for them you dont care as much.....

I'm a purchasing agent for a VERY large plant and the guys like these because they can toss them out after a day....

Guess if you dont have to pay for them you dont care as much.....
Same in our plant. Except they ended up in the product, on the floor, in the parking lot, in the coin return of vending machines, in mailboxes, in lunchboxes, etc. You name it, we found them there. So we instituted a new policy: trade or pay. It's simple: bring your old ones back and drop them in the trash can and you get new ones free. No old ones? Too bad, costs $1. Within a week we stopped seeing so many laying around. Within 2 weeks almost totally gone. Worked so well we started doing it with dustmasks. Then cotton gloves, then leather gloves, etc. It's worked really well for us to "encourage" folks to use the trashcans more diligently.

[/hijack]

I generally wear the reusable rubber ones with three of four rings but I like to switch to other types when I'm on a multi-day trip. Using the same type tends to make my ears sore after a week or so.

Anyway, I just requested the free trial pair. Thanks for the link.

I also went to their site and requested a free sample. What I received today was a marketing brochure telling all about the Piilot earplugs - but no ear plugs. In fairness, they included a picture of the earplugs.

Has anyone actually received the purported sample earplugs?

BTW, tha attenuation shown in the table in the brochure is way in excess of 26db. Across the noted frequency range it goes from 33 to 44db.

Last edited by a moderator: