Anyone use Dunlops

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it is recommended for the FJR on the Dunlop site. I never tried them, though. And now that I have an FZ6, it came with Dunlops. Weird, though, because the D220 is also the recommended tire on the site for the FZ6 but mine came with D252. Which, is a tire only available as OEM. Can't be bought. Anyway, I've had good luck with other bikes and dunlop tires and I like the dunlops on the FZ. I wouldn't worry if you wanted to try them.

I'm not fond of the 220's as they cupped way early. Metzelers stick well but flat spotted, I have Pilots Roads now and have been happy with them, I can't wait to try the new road 2's or new AVON's (loved the Avon ST's also)

I used to use Dunlops on my FZ1, then my GSX-R1000.

They felt greasy when hot and slipped under full throttle when cold on the FZ1.

They wouldn't turn in on my GSX-R1000 like Bridgestones and Michelins. And, once during cold weather (60F), in a turn, the rear wheel slipped 3 times in under a second when I was leaned over. Scary. My son used the Dunlop Qualifiers on his GSX-R1000 and swore they would be his last; they slid all over the place during normal and hot weather.

Those events were enough for me. I don't use Dunlops anymore.

They make some of the world's best race tires but there are better street tires available.

I've settled on Michelins and Bridgestones for all 3 of our bikes (2 Gixxers, and 1 FJR).

IRBR

Is all that slippin' and slidin' a trade-off for wear, or do they still die with 4 digits on the clock?

Or did you even keep them long enough to find out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier this year I was at my local shop getting a service done when the mechanic noticed my front tire was to the wear bars .. I was going to be going to the MOA rally in Wisc. in a few months so rather then shopping around I asked what he had on hand and ended up with the Dunlop 220 ST front and back. I know have just about 7K on them and they look good for at least another 3K .. maybe. No complaints on the tires ... had Bridgestones as the OEM tires and they were gone at 7K.

My next tire will be something other then the Dunlops, not because they are bad but because I just want to try some of the other rubber that the members here talk about. I am lucky enough to live In Tucson which is home to SouthWest Moto ... and Blaine, one of the owners, always has good advice on tires.

The only thing I can say negative on the Dunlop 220's is that on the roads that are rain grooved ... that the tires wander a bit on the grooving .. no big deal. :)

Is all that slippin' and slidin' a trade-off for wear, or do they still die with 4 digits on the clock?
Or did you even keep them long enough to find out?
I pretty much rode them until I was near the wear bars.

The Metzler and Dunlop sport touring tires on the FZ1 and FJR lasted approximately 6000 miles.

All sportbike tires I have ever put on the Gixxer lasted about 3000 miles.

In answer to your question about wear, these are pretty normal numbers for the way I ride, no matter what the brand of tires. It's just that some tires wear well until the wear bars show and some don't.

I insist on tires that turn in well, stick like glue, and wear well until used up. Neither the Dunlops nor the Metzlers met all my expectations.

Today, my FJR wears Michelin Pilot Roads. This is the first set of tires I've had on the bike that didn't slip in high speed (90+mph), aggressive cornering. Their wear pattern is excellent (no cupping) and I expect to get 6000+ miles out of them. My Gixxer wears Michelin Pilot Powers. They stick to the road like expoxy and I expect to get about 3000 miles out of them. My wife's Gixxer wears its OEM Bridgestone BT014's. They also stick like epoxy and she is getting over 4000 miles out of them.

I have bet my life on these tires many times and they have never made me wonder if I was taking serious risks by riding aggressively on them.

IRBR

Last edited by a moderator: