Anyone use these filters?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I haven't used the HiFlo for the Yamaha yet, it's only because I couldn't find a supplier for them when I last bought filters. I have used them extensively on a number of other brands, Suzuki, BMW, Ducati, etc. It's my understanding that they make a number of the OEM filters, including Suzuki's. In any event, I've never had an issue with them and they are well made -- much, much better than FRAM.

I'm buying a front tire from Chaparral and I need to add another item to get my order above $100 for free shipping. I thought I might try one of these filters. Don't know if this filter is a longer or shorter style? It's made for a bike engine so I prefer it to an auto filter.

it's been years when I rode a cruiser, but a bud showed me the filters he had purchased via mail order (Dennis Kirk or JC Whitney)

we didn't like the gasket seal...it was round like an O ring and loosely fit in a groove easily falling out

since it was nothing like OEM (all gasket seals are flat), and didn't have a bypass valve...we decided never to use them again

back then, SuperTech was my choice

...when I rode a cruiser, a bud showed me the filters he had purchased via mail order
I don't think mail order (or, UPS, FedEx, etc.) has anything to do with the quality of a part...? :unsure:

we didn't like the gasket seal...it was round like an O ring ...(all gasket seals are flat)
I, actually, prefer (and look for) round 'O'-ring-style oil-filter gaskets -- I think they seal better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my '06 FJR back in late March and I just did my first oil change. The filter that came installed on the bike is a HiFloFiltro HF148. It appears to be well made, with the rounded, o-ring type sealing gasket. Size-wise, it's almost exactly the same length as the Mobil M1-110 filter that replaced it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another HiFlo, and they usually seem reasonable priced at around $7.

Why did I get the M1-110 filter instead of another HF148? Well, let's face it...I'm lazy. I don't order filters online, and there are no HiFlo vendors near me, so I prefer to pick up filters when I buy oil at AutoZone 2.5 miles down the road. I usually run M1 15W-50 and Bosch filters ($7) in my bikes, but Autozone had a package deal for M1 oil and filter. I saved about $22, which was pretty cool. If there's no package deal next time, I'll go back to the trusty old Bosch 3323.

Been using them for probably about 10 years on all sorts of bikes and quads, both spin ons and cartridge type. Have not had any issues with them at all.