Anyone using a Givi V47?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...nobody has pics?

I've been looking at the v47 too. I'm pretty sure it would look awesome on my Gen III anyhow. As someone else said somewhere, picking the case seems to be the easy part. It's the mounting system and light kits that take weeks of research! I just wish there was a way to get a "low and tight (forward)" mount without worries about sub-frame issues. If there is I haven't found it yet. I had pretty much convinced myself that the sub-frame issue was overblown, until I applied a little weight on the tail plate. The flex doesn't inspire confidence.

dscn0112rq.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. As I stated, I am quite pleased with how my Bestem box looks on my bike - especially given how little I spent. However, should it disappoint me at any time, I think the V47 would be my choice.

Just to answer your questions;

Yes I am using the E288 plate mounting kit as I wished to retain the original hand rail. The set-up seems relatively secure but there is a slight flex if you push down onto the top case. Saying that I have used it now for a few months with no problems. My youngest son who rides with me feels more secure and comfortable with the top case on the bike

.I find the GIVI mounting and locking system very secure and also very easy to mount and dis-mount the top case. I stick with the manufactures guidelines of approximately 13lb weight limit, putting heavier items in the side cases as required.

The size and quality of the case is excellent, I actually prefer it to the Yam top case (and the cost is less than half).

My only recommendation would be if you plan on loading your top case with heavy items or you have a large passenger would be to use the SR357 mounting kit for piece of mind. I am more than happy with the E288 system but I will report any problems on this forum if they occur.

I have not installed the light kit yet (plug and play type) that will be next on my shopping list as funds allow.

Overall I think GIVI produce some quality kit at an affordable cost and I am more than pleased with my purchase.

I may also sent for the colour coded lid panels (approx £35 ) again as funds allow.

Hope this information helps in your quest for a top case

Kind regards

Steve

I thought I should add an update. I added two strips of LED lighting that I bought off eBay and connected them into the wiring for the built-in brake light on the Bestem top box. Here are two photos showing the box with brake lights off and then on:

WP_20130413_004_338x600.jpg
WP_20130413_005_338x600.jpg

That should get other drivers' attention. All for another $5 and change for the lights, plus connectors and labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
So only tail/running light, no brake function. Although if you are a hack like me, I'd tap into the brake light 12V wire instead of tail light. I'd rather a driver knows I'm stopping than just know I exist.
wink.png
With a simple diode and resistor, you can use that single pair of wire to do both running lights (8 volts) and break lights (12v). Thismismwhat I did.

Moderators: is it possible to split this thread?

One thread for Givi V47-specific info, another for ElliottM's details on his Bestem setup, please.

Thank you!

ElliottM - no insult intended, I do appreciate the quality of your Bestem input (would have served me well for the Bestem on my previous Wee-Strom) just want to stay on topic with Givi V47 details.

So only tail/running light, no brake function. Although if you are a hack like me, I'd tap into the brake light 12V wire instead of tail light. I'd rather a driver knows I'm stopping than just know I exist.
wink.png
With a simple diode and resistor, you can use that single pair of wire to do both running lights (8 volts) and break lights (12v). Thismismwhat I did.
Sorry, Superkram, I am going to sneak this in before the topic is split out. I just wanted to let Makuna know that I thought about hooking the box lights to be running lights, but with the reflectors on my side cases adding to the general visibility, I mainly wanted the driver behind me to know I was stopping. I am not nearly handsome enough to be immortalized as a hood ornament by someone who didn't stop behind me.