Anyone using Motor Cycle Cruise control?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the cruise from Rostra. It uses an electronic servo so you don't have to develop and mount the vacuum canister.
We need some snowbound techies to commit to figuring out the Rostra install. I'll do whatever I can to help, but I'm not an electrical engineer nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

A little history: Link1 Link2

Well, there are those that say the MCcruise isn't worth it..
They are right...for them.

Me. I LOVE my MCCruise control. :yahoo: It works flawlessly and has won "The Single Best Farkle Award" for best performance by a leading farkle.

I use it ALL THE TIME. :clapping:

Whatever bike I may own in the future will have at least these two features:

1. ABS brakes

2. Real honest to god cruise control!!!!!

Last Chance
+1! Couldn't agree more. It's the single most enjoyable farkle for me. :D

I also have a cruiser ('01 Valkyrie Interstate) with the MCCruise unit and it's great.

Incidentally, the Guymer brothers at MCCruise in AU are great to work with should you have questions or need help. The product and installation instructions are well documented, too.

I can't talk to the McCruise unit, never having owned one. I see them on a few bikes and the owners are happy with them. Have seen more than half a dozen with the servo mounted externally near the left side plate on ST1300's.

My '07 FJR had a flaky Audiovox cruise control.

The unit was changed out, a piece at a time, trying to isolate the problem.

Many other manner of things were tried which included (but not limited to) additional vacuum canister, NO vacuum canister, speed sensor pickup in the rear wheel (in various configurations). Different tach arrangement, different resistor values, packing the unit in "cold packs", and even using a double foil wrap in an attempt to isolated possible EMI.

And there's more. <_<

This bike has been apart and back together so many times that I see it in my sleep.

If you want the Audiovox cruise unit for a Gen II bike then you pays your money and you takes your chances. Simple as that. Some work, some don't.

Does anyone know of a McCruise unit that's been flaky? The extra $$$ certainly gets your attention but "if" it works then it's well worth all the time you didn't spend to try and make one of the other units work properly.

Opinions by Kevin

Your mileage may vary.

SNIP
And there's more. <_<

This bike has been apart and back together so many times that I see it in my sleep.

If you want the Audiovox cruise unit for a Gen II bike then you pays your money and you takes your chances. Simple as that. Some work, some don't.

Does anyone know of a McCruise unit that's been flaky? The extra $$$ certainly gets your attention but "if" it works then it's well worth all the time you didn't spend to try and make one of the other units work properly.

Opinions by Kevin

Your mileage may vary.

I have never heard of a MCCruise unit failing to work. It happens, I'm sure. However the Company, I understand, stands behind their product and gives great service. :clapping: Mine is like a rock! :yahoo: If I had been through what you've been through, I'm sure I would appreciate it even MORE! Good luck.

LC

I've never heard of a MC fail to work on a FJR, but I do know that they can fail well after install.

My brother has had a MC installed in his ST1100 for about five years now, and has had three malfunctions with the unit. The problems were always some MC specific part that had no generic replacement that could be substituted. My brother had to contact MC in Australia for troubleshooting help and to arrange for replacement parts. MC was courteous, helpful and quick to respond with assistance but getting the replacement parts delivered sucked. In each case his cruise was down for at least 25% of the riding season. He has now been over a year without another failure (~15k miles). When the MC Cruise works he loves it.

ion: do you know specifically what failures he's had?
I know what two were for sure. One was a relay in the controller, the other was a vacuum solenoid. I'm not sure of the third because the first 2-3 guesses, err, diagnostic results from MC were wrong. At some point my brother mentioned that his cruise was working again but I don't remember him saying what the root cause was. The relay took the longest to get here.

I should mention that my brother is a 10/10 and some times a 11/10 guy and his toys take a beating. Sometimes he takes a beating too. His MC equipped ST has been to places in Canada where I wouldn't take a 4WD vehicle so all the equipment on his bike gets a real shake and rattle test.

I have the MCCruise on my 03 and is by far the best money I have spent on the bike. The instructions were very detailed. Took about 5 hours to install and worked the first time without any adjustments. I chose the MCCruise because it was bike specific.

Joey

Santa just may have a surprise for me this year but he needs some technical advice. Which is a better cruise control for my 2007 FJR (manual shift) - the Audiovox or the Motor Cycle Cruise (Australian company) unit.
Any help/suggestions appreciated so that Santa will know what to do.

Jon
Jon

I have the motor cycle cruise control on my 07. Its takes a while to install, but the instructions are really good. It took my about 8 hrs to install the system. If you following the instructions you shouldn't have any problems and it works really well. The hardest part is hooking up the cabling to the throttle valve assy.

I've looked at the MCCruise site several times for installation instructions but haven't found any yet. Anyone know if you can run a Power Commander as well as the MCCruise?

I'm on the fence about the MCruise because of the space it seems to take up under the seats. With a blue sea fuseblock, a few tools, etc. it is getting crowded under there, and I don't want to have to move things around.......for those that have it, can you give insights on space taken up by the unit and what space is left where?
I just emailed MCC to see if it was possible to install the cruise control on a "A" (manual) model like they do on a AE model. If you check out the AE's brochure: AE MCC Brochure you will noticed they have it installed underneath the left fairing which would free up the space underneath the rider's seat. However I still want to be able to have the controls mounted on the clutch side location (the way it's installed on the manual model) not the throttle side. I also want to locate it on the top, so that I can still use a tank bag. I know I want a lot :rolleyes:

I'll post their reply when I get it.

I'm on the fence about the MCruise because of the space it seems to take up under the seats. With a blue sea fuseblock, a few tools, etc. it is getting crowded under there, and I don't want to have to move things around.......for those that have it, can you give insights on space taken up by the unit and what space is left where?
I just emailed MCC to see if it was possible to install the cruise control on a "A" (manual) model like they do on a AE model. If you check out the AE's brochure: AE MCC Brochure you will noticed they have it installed underneath the left fairing which would free up the space underneath the rider's seat. However I still want to be able to have the controls mounted on the clutch side location (the way it's installed on the manual model) not the throttle side. I also want to locate it on the top, so that I can still use a tank bag. I know I want a lot :rolleyes:

I'll post their reply when I get it.

You must be sure and order a kit with a Top Mount plate for the controls. As far as locating the actuator in the fairing rather than under the seat I think it should be OK. The actuator is not connected to the handle bar controls. I saw that installation after I installed mine under the seat. I think it would be a better place. The throttle cable wouldn't have to make as many bends as it does when located under the seat.

LC

I started this discussion on cruise controls and I thank all for their comments. Based on what I've read, I'm telling Santa to go the MCC route for these reasons:

1. Bike specific application

2. More reliable that Audiovox on GenII bikes.

3. Better installation instructions.

4. Better support.

The downside, more $, will be Santa's problem.

Thanks again,

Jon

I started this discussion on cruise controls and I thank all for their comments. Based on what I've read, I'm telling Santa to go the MCC route for these reasons:1. Bike specific application

2. More reliable that Audiovox on GenII bikes.

3. Better installation instructions.

4. Better support.

The downside, more $, will be Santa's problem.

Thanks again,

Jon
That's it, lay it off on Santa! Seriously, I don't think you will be disappointed! :yahoo: Just remember the "cable module" (A box which interconnects the throttle cables) just "floats in the upper left area of the engine compartment. It's not "fixed" to anything. Understanding that took some time for me and slowed down the project.

LC

That's it, lay it off on Santa! Seriously, I don't think you will be disappointed! :yahoo: Just remember the "cable module" (A box which interconnects the throttle cables) just "floats in the upper left area of the engine compartment. It's not "fixed" to anything. Understanding that took some time for me and slowed down the project.
LC

Wow, that's odd. On the GenI install, the carburettor (i think that's what they call it) which becomes the center of the throttle cable world is positively fixed to a bracket which itself is fixed to the bike. Very sturdy.

The only odd part about the GenI install (and I think it's the same for the GenII's??) is where the vacuum can goes, which forces you to relearn how your left foot sits on the peg. If you're a 'hanging off by the heel' guy, you won't notice a difference. If you're a 'ball of the foot' guy, well, uhh, it's different.

I emailed the MCC folks and shared my concerns about foot positioning...

The inside of my left heel often touches the cruise actuator, but you do get used to it. You won’t do any damage as long as you don’t start putting your weight on it. The stainless brackets are pretty tough. We didn’t like where we had to put the actuator – but there simply is nowhere else. We did look at putting it - without covers – under the seat, but it still can’t be done without cutting the mudguard apart and making absolutely certain that it ‘fits’ between the ribs under the seat. All in all – while performance is great – the locations of the bits on that bike are difficult – but – as I said – there is nowhere else!!

LC

Wow, that's odd. On the GenI install, the carburettor (i think that's what they call it) which becomes the center of the throttle cable world is positively fixed to a bracket which itself is fixed to the bike. Very sturdy.

The only odd part about the GenI install (and I think it's the same for the GenII's??) is where the vacuum can goes, which forces you to relearn how your left foot sits on the peg. If you're a 'hanging off by the heel' guy, you won't notice a difference. If you're a 'ball of the foot' guy, well, uhh, it's different.

I emailed the MCC folks and shared my concerns about foot positioning...

The inside of my left heel often touches the cruise actuator, but you do get used to it. You won’t do any damage as long as you don’t start putting your weight on it. The stainless brackets are pretty tough. We didn’t like where we had to put the actuator – but there simply is nowhere else. We did look at putting it - without covers – under the seat, but it still can’t be done without cutting the mudguard apart and making absolutely certain that it ‘fits’ between the ribs under the seat. All in all – while performance is great – the locations of the bits on that bike are difficult – but – as I said – there is nowhere else!!

I guess the GenII are "new and improved" (More room under seat?) There is no "vacuum can" and the actuator is placed under the seat (or in the lower left fairing and nothing is exposed to one's feet at all. I would be concerned about that as you were/are.

LC

P.S. Oh, now I remember. A vacuum canister is required on smaller displacement bikes or if the vacuum is inadequate to operate the cruise control properly. On the FJR the MCCruise is more than adequate to operate the system.

Just ordered my MCC cruise control today. Tony, of MCC, said they're raising prices 1/1/08 5% so, if you want one, order it now.

Happy New Year all.