Anyone using the Yamaha Touring replacement windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRH08FJR

Reaction score
I like the fact that the Yamaha brand tourning shield is 4" taller and retains the look (mostly) of the stock shield. The cost is not bad either, $109. Any comments or recommendations appreciated. Yamaha Touring replacement shield

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for them on eBay, I've got mine for $80. I like mine works for me, isn't too big etc, better than stock. Some people think it's too big in he summer, but I leave mine on all the time.

I like my touring shield. I live in, if not the hottest city in the country, its gotta be in the top three. That extra four inches helps a lot. I'm 6'4", so even when its hot out I still get plenty of air when its down all the way. I will say that if I lived where it got really cold, the Yamaha touring shield would not provide enough coverage for me mostly because of my height. But, most people don't ride much when its that cold anyway, because of snow, ice or some other weather related issue. On the rare occasion I get caught in the rain, I depend on my riding jacket being water proof and my rain or riding pants. If I get caught in rain in something other than that, I get real wet. Because of the design of the FJR, I don't think anyone can stay dry without complete rain gear. In Arizona, I welcome a rare occurrence of rain and gladly get wet during the summer months.

Bought mine from Yamaha Sports Plaza. Easy install. I'm 6'0" with a 32' inseam. The 4 extra inches make all the difference in a quieter ride.

I installed mine two years ago with Skyway spacers and loved the added protection without the barn door look. I liked it so much I snagged another one off a member and it sits ready to mount when this one gets too pitted/scratched.

I like the fact it protects from wind and weather without taking away from the looks of the bike, nor takes you out of the experience of riding in the wind.

Try it, they aren't expensive. If you don't like it post up and somebody will grab it from you at little loss.

HAd one but returned it after one ride. It was right in my line of sight when full up. caused buffetting in any other position just as much as the stocker. I'm 5'9" tall

Love mine-IMHO is the best looking shield. It is apparently made by National Cycle for Mamaha and all of them are hard coated. Flows a lot of air when down and very quiet full up alto I have to look thru the shield.

how tall are you? I am 6'2". I think the height will be fine, but it's only 1/2" wider than stock (which I think helps to retain the stock look). I am getting a lot of buffetting with my head right now with the stock and hope the Yamaha touring shield will do the trick. JRH08FJR

how tall are you? I am 6'2". I think the height will be fine, but it's only 1/2" wider than stock (which I think helps to retain the stock look). I am getting a lot of buffetting with my head right now with the stock and hope the Yamaha touring shield will do the trick. JRH08FJR
I'm 6'1" (I'm old and shorter now) but long in the body with a 31.5" inseam. I look over the shield even full up.

I have one on now. Works great for blocking the wind. I also don't feel the negative pressure from it like I feel from the stocker when all the way up. I have not ridden in hot weather with it yet. Rode this weekend with it down all the way and it didn't block much more than stock. I may put the stocker back on when the weather gets consistantly hot. It was nice to put up all the way and get completely out of the wind when I recieved a call. My brother couldn't even tell I was riding.

I bought one a couple of months after they first came out for my 2007 bike. IMHO, it could be 2 inches higher and wider. I'm 6 feet and sit tall in the saddle, and always pick up some buffeting on the highway, but i wear ear plugs and that eliminates most of the noise. It is better than stock ,which just blew air up my nose.

I've got one too. @ 6'5" I wanted that extra 4 inches as I could never keep the core flow off my neck & head with the stocker. This shield is really just OK for me. If I really wanted to get out of the wind I'd need another couple of inches height or a aero "flick" at the top. At maximum height I still have part of my helmet (1/2?) in the high speed flow.

Cheers,

W2

Had one, didn't work for me. 5'10" w/ 31"inseam. Noisy, more buffeting than stock and the shield had a lot of flex at just 45 mph. One ride new it wasn't for me. Bought a Cee Bailey w/flip +3 +3 a lot better. I may give the 'Rifle" shield a try next, been hearing a lot of good about them.

Another good option for the cost, if you're not over 6'2" or so, is the Givi. It has a mild flip and doesn't cut in at the top of the screen on the sides. Keeps more air off my shoulders and minimizes turbulence at the helmet for me. I'm 5'11" and the sweet spot is about half way up unless it's raining hard, then it goes up more. The wind effect tends to cause the raindrops to sheet off my visor vertically, which I like, (this goes away if I run the screen all the way up, but I also get less rain on the visor that way). $90-120 or so. Pretty sure I got the last one from CalSporTouring which has a Givi sale going now for free shipping, but don't see the screen listed on their site. Might be work a call.

Solo Motor Sports shows it for $90, (plus shipping, no doubt).

Some nice pics from a UK owner - PICS

edit - The Givi screen is not as tall as the +4 Yamaha. Measured at the center of the screen, it is 19" tall. The flip gives benefits of a taller screen w/o sucking the gas mileage down.

I'm 5' 11" and the Yamaha touring windshield is a big improvement over the stock screen. However, I still get a lot of noise; no problem with buffeting. I prefer the looks over aftermarket windshields but I see others have better results with some of the other choices out there.