Approaching Etiquette: Wave in Reverse

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To those of you who are opposed to sharing the lane while at a stop light, how about this scenario?
Joe biker is stopped at a light in one of the car tracks and I pull up and stop next to him and say, "hi." Once the light goes green I let him go first (because he was there first) and then go myself while keeping the standard stagger formation.

Would this be Okay with you? Or are you so anti-social that you don't want anyone near you while riding? (trick question I know)
It's not about being social, it's about sharing a space with someone that I don't know. How do I know that you're not a total assclown when you pull up next to me? For that matter, why would you pull up next to me not knowing if I'm a total assclown?
Someone a little paranoid? It must be a little lonely thinking all strangers are assclowns at first glance...I suppose they stay strangers. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt at least on occasion. Especially if they have a motorcycle.
Paranoid??....uhm...er...yes! I don't know if the other rider is out on his first day on that particular bike. Obviously he doesn't have a clue about spacing for the track of the bike making a turn and he doesn't know my riding habits. (I tend to corner using a "late entry" of "delayed apex" technique. Those who have followed me and not aware of this usually mention it when we stop.) Another rider may not recognize my technique (especially if they are clueless to begin with) and assume they have the inside right-of-way. So yes, I'm paranoid. :angry2:

When I approach another bike at a stop sign or red light I stay in a "stagger" placement. In other words, in the opposite wheel track with at least 1 bike length spacing. When catching another bike in traffic I do the same (with 2-3 seconds space) until they have noticed, recognized or flag me by. I tend to do the same in traffic, i.e., if I see another bike overtaking me I will move to one side, allow that rider the space to pass and flag them by.

As an interesting sidebar, I have done this and it was a CHP. He tooted his horn and waved as he passed. The sportbike commuters around here will do the same, so why should I hold them up because I'm riding a "bagger"?

Oh yeah, I tend to wave at other bikers. Its waaayyy kewel to pass another bike coming the other way in the rain, mist or cold and both be waving......being a motorcyclist is a good thing! And I usually acknowledge the other commuter bikers I pass going my direction. The right-hand wave is still fun after all these years! :)

YMMV.

To those of you who are opposed to sharing the lane while at a stop light, how about this scenario?
Joe biker is stopped at a light in one of the car tracks and I pull up and stop next to him and say, "hi." Once the light goes green I let him go first (because he was there first) and then go myself while keeping the standard stagger formation.

Would this be Okay with you? Or are you so anti-social that you don't want anyone near you while riding? (trick question I know)
It's not about being social, it's about sharing a space with someone that I don't know. How do I know that you're not a total assclown when you pull up next to me? For that matter, why would you pull up next to me not knowing if I'm a total assclown?
Someone a little paranoid? It must be a little lonely thinking all strangers are assclowns at first glance...I suppose they stay strangers. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt at least on occasion. Especially if they have a motorcycle.
Paranoid??....uhm...er...yes! I don't know if the other rider is out on his first day on that particular bike. Obviously he doesn't have a clue about spacing for the track of the bike making a turn and he doesn't know my riding habits. (I tend to corner using a "late entry" of "delayed apex" technique. Those who have followed me and not aware of this usually mention it when we stop.) Another rider may not recognize my technique (especially if they are clueless to begin with) and assume they have the inside right-of-way. So yes, I'm paranoid. :angry2:
Mike sorry about my vague comment...don't get angry. ;)

I meant at a stop light or standing still NOT while in motion. I dont want anyone riding next to me trying to do some blue angel maneuvering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant at a stop light or standing still NOT while in motion. I dont want anyone riding next to me trying to do some blue angel maneuvering.
I'm more frustrated by rider's habits than angry. I was tryign to expand on v65's comment:

Not knowing you, and that many riders are not experienced, I would probably be wondering what you were going to do when the light turns green. So certainly at the moment you pull up next to me it would not be OK.
I consistently make the decision to give another rider space and make obvious and overt stops behind them and in the opposite wheel track. That way the other rider doesn't have to wonder about my intent. I have given him space and relieved any suspicion or doubt that I intend to follow his lead through an intersection, whether turning or straight.

I want the other rider to concentrate on cross or approaching traffic rather than being distracted by me or any possible errant or invasive move I could have in mind. My thought process leads me to believe the above is the proper etiquette and shows respect to the primary rider who occupies that space.

YMMV.

I'm more frustrated by rider's habits than angry. I was tryign to expand on v65's comment:

Not knowing you, and that many riders are not experienced, I would probably be wondering what you were going to do when the light turns green. So certainly at the moment you pull up next to me it would not be OK.
I consistently make the decision to give another rider space and make obvious and overt stops behind them and in the opposite wheel track. That way the other rider doesn't have to wonder about my intent. I have given him space and relieved any suspicion or doubt that I intend to follow his lead through an intersection, whether turning or straight.

I want the other rider to concentrate on cross or approaching traffic rather than being distracted by me or any possible errant or invasive move I could have in mind. My thought process leads me to believe the above is the proper etiquette and shows respect to the primary rider who occupies that space.

YMMV.
And in DC traffic, it means that he's the one who will get whacked by the asshat running the red light, not me.