Are Bike Sales That Bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As bad as the total sales numbers have been the last 4 years, a lot of dealers have gone under mostly because of the increased overhead they took on during the previous 7 years when sales were good and they were pressured to expand their dealerships. Dealers also had to work with smaller markups from the manufactures and increased competition from Internet sales which reduced their profits per unit sold. Its not a good time to be in the Powersports industry.

Both Hardley dealers in the area are suffering.... Multi line Japanese dealerships have all closed.
However for those interested Polaris is spending huge money preparing for the future... The multi re- introduced Indian Line looks like a winner and they are branching out in several different directions.

Investment guru buddy say's this is a must buy stock. And he don't know shit aboot scoots.
What is this, the fifth time Indian has risen? This has to be the time! And with the Chief Vintage LE going for $37,899, how could they not succeed?

I'm calling my broker now!

I visited my Beemer dealer a couple of weeks ago, he said business was quite good for this time of year. Hard to believe but there were about15 peeps in his facility shopping. 'BMW members Chili cookoff' he says is Daytona weekend and he says he plans on well over a 100. Not me however, sounds like a fart fest.

I did overhear one customer (maybe in his mid to late 50's) talk to his wife about a K1600. She says.. "but honey, is it really worth the price of two Concourses?" Husband said "HELL NO!!!.... it's worth 3 Connies!". haha, well he sure drank way more koolaid than me but he also looked like he was quite loaded (lucky tard!).

I Still got the Feej and look forward to getting some warm weather to ride it!

Local motorcycles dealers that have closed their doors.

RMC [Renton Motorcycle Co.] - Huge dealer that sold Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and lot of smaller brands

University Honda - Oldest Honda dealer in the state and maybe the west coast.

Waldon Arctic Cat Kawasaki

Monroe Motorsports – Kawasaki and Husquarna

Everett Kawasaki

Eastside Motorsports – Now just Ducati, was a Yamaha and Suzuki dealer.

Lynwood Cycle Barn – Now Triumph and scooters, was Honda and Suzuki dealer.

Lynwood HD has changed owners 3 times in two years.

Eastside HD has downsized.

Lots more locally but that all that come to mind.

most of my local dealers say its sales of four-wheel atv's that are keeping them going. More people can and will ride and use them.

And the ones that sell used bikes say they can sell all they have - but new bike sales, especially anything above $10K in price is slow.

Our primary local dealer is Ron Ayers and they seem to be doing well in their ATV and Hustler lawnmower side of the house...they just introduced RC Cars for some reason also. The showroom is always packed with bikes and it looks like fairly steady business in that area as well. Unlike the other local dealership, Ron Ayers almost always has ST's and Wings on the floor.

The other local Yamaha dealer, Twin County Motorsports (Rocky Mount), is probably doing much better with their ATV sales than bikes based on the crowding out of motorcycles in their showroom (which now occupy a tiny strip down one side)...I've never seen an ST in there. They have a metric shat ton of boats wrapped up and stored in a yard next door.

Of course we have an HD dealer in Rocky Mount...but I never ride by it (it's out of the way), so dunno how they're doing.

If gas prices keep elevating themselves, I suspect sales may trend upward a bit.

The one and only crotch rocket shop closed in my town a few years back... right around the time they were building the Harley dealership down the street. The Harley shop is still there, far as I know, at least they are still listed on Google maps. The closest YamaHondaZuki dealer is now a good 30 minute drive up to Denver tech center if I want to drool over new motorcycles. Lucky for me I work right down the street, but it's a PITA if I just need to get a quick part on the weekend. I mean, my podunk town can support a SCUBA shop... with the nearest ocean well over 1,000 miles away... but not a Japanese/Euro bike dealership when we have the winding Rocky Mountain roads on our doorstep? WTF?

And yes, I supported them for the whole year they were open after I moved to this place. Got my Strom's valves checked there and bought some gear for the Mrs., guess there weren't enough of us doing that though. Went over one Saturday to schedule some more work and the place was boarded up with a note on the door. :(

appears BMW and Ducati aren't having much issue...
Our Yamaha/Victory/Polaris/Star/Honda dealer has been here 50+ years and is doing ok. Our BMW/Ducati guy apparently stole money then disappeared leaving his dealership to be auctioned off. No one has stepped up to open a new one.

If you like having local service availability, consider that before you go across state lines to save a few bucks on a new bike.

If the local guy won't even talk to you about anything other than MSRP+ on a bike that you can quote a competing price (and offer a bump for all the travel expenses you'd incur with the out-of-state pick up), then they deserve to close.

Especially when, after you make the offer, they slide their books back away from themselves and say, "Knock yourself out", without even a counter offer. As if 800 miles (one way) was anything more than a day trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it ever becomes Roseville Yamaha Kawasaki Harley . . .
Has anyone ever seen a Harley dealership that also sold Jap bikes?

The local dealer (RMC in Renton WA) that sold all Jap brands wanted to add Harley under the same roof because they had a huge area that used to be an indoor motocross track. Harley told them, "No Way - you must have a seperate building!" So this dealer had to build a new building in his huge parking lot to house the Harley dealership that he bought. He's since closed the Jap side of the operation and replaced it with a car dealership, but the Harley operation is still plugging along.

I talked to Stan at Bobby Js here and he said its as slow as it's been for the past three years. He has not yet sold an 2013 FJR yet and has an 2011 on the floor still. He has sold a couple of Super T's he said. Hes to only mom and pop shop left here. Hope he dosen't close.

Both Hardley dealers in the area are suffering.... Multi line Japanese dealerships have all closed.
However for those interested Polaris is spending huge money preparing for the future... The multi re- introduced Indian Line looks like a winner and they are branching out in several different directions.

Investment guru buddy say's this is a must buy stock. And he don't know shit aboot scoots.
What is this, the fifth time Indian has risen? This has to be the time! And with the Chief Vintage LE going for $37,899, how could they not succeed?

I'm calling my broker now!
Chuckles... It's more about what they are buying and the long term business plan.. Far as the bike price? Maybe they figure they'll sell a few and adjust the price?

Hell I dunno, but again it isn't all Indian. The other acquisitions are what is going to make things happen.

Moroney's is a dealer in Newburgh, NY that sells Harley and Japanese bikes and KTMs. At one time they had only one building but now the Harleys are in the main building and everything else is squeezed into a second building about half the size with 4 or 5 times as many bikes in it.

As a older former Harley rider, there strength lies in brand loyalty, but I can't believe the amount of money these people spend on repairs & clothing & parts. U couldn't convince me to ever go back. I don't think Harley's future is bright, Victory is too Harley-like & Indian prices are too high. European bikes, I just don't care.

My local dealer is off to a very good year selling dirt bikes and ATV's (Yamaha / Suzuki). It appears that there are lots of motocross types are replacing their rides this season.

The cold weather and late spring has put a damper on street bike sales around here.