Are the Yamaha "comfort seat's" really that much more comfortable?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkuszek

Reaction score
I am looking into something better than the stock seats.I would buy the day long Russel if I had the $$$$ but I don't so I am looking into the alternatives.I had a Corbin on my Hayabusa and it was hard as a rock.I"ll never buy another.The Bill Meyer seats take forever to get and to me just don't look right.So I am checking into the comfort seats from Yamaha.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever had this seat and an opinion?

Welcome to the forum!

Based on the many, many comments over the years about upgrading the seat, the factory Yamaha seat is not the way to go.

Quite a few folks are happy with the seat modification offered by a company in Florida named Spencer's. It is generally not considered as good as a custom seat by Russell or one of the Meyer boys, but is a whole lot cheaper. See www.greatdaytoride.com

I'd suggest you spend a bit of time searching around the forum. A well used search function using Google is as follows ~ your search item site:fjrforum in the Google search window. By playing around with your search string, you will be amazed at the information you'll pull up!

Good luck with your search...

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what dsmack said. There is a wealth of info on seat alternatives on the forum. I went with the Spenser mod he mentioned. It is not perfect but is working well enough for me. It is a vast improvement over the stock seat. I did both the rider and pillion seats. He charged $100 for both and that was with the LD option on the rider seat. It did cost me another $80 to ship and insure it round trip.

The cost of shipping will vary with where you live. I am in OK so it traveled about half way across the country. Many are satisfied with the Spenser mod and a lot are not. But that seems to be true of some of the custom seats which are a whole lot more expensive. Good luck with your search and decision.

I'll let you know... I'm expecting to get mine back from Spencer late this week hopefully in time

for the weekend rides. I had my front only done. $75 with the long distance Supracore option.

Can't beat the price and while not a Russel, I've read that it is an improvement over stock at

a price hard to beat.

I am looking into something better than the stock seats.I would buy the day long Russel if I had the $$$$ but I don't so I am looking into the alternatives.I had a Corbin on my Hayabusa and it was hard as a rock.I"ll never buy another.The Bill Meyer seats take forever to get and to me just don't look right.So I am checking into the comfort seats from Yamaha.Any suggestions? Anyone ever had this seat and an opinion?

Very much depends on the distance you normally ride. The comfort seats added another 100 miles to my day, sheepskin covers another 100miles, and so 300-400 miles were possible. After 300-400 miles I don’t want to ride the bike again for a week.

I just ordered seats from Russell to maybe do one long trip this summer, then maybe I’ll start looking at trading up to a true touring bike.

Domenic

I still have the stock seat on my FJR, but I had a Yamaha comfort seat on my FZ1 and felt it was a huge improvement over stock as far as long distance riding was concerned. There was a downside though. The gel in the seat absorbs heat when sitting in the sun. The thing would literally cook the family jewels. The bike was un-ridable if I left it in the sun for very long, even with riding pants on.

I am looking into something better than the stock seats.I would buy the day long Russel if I had the $$$$ but I don't so I am looking into the alternatives.I had a Corbin on my Hayabusa and it was hard as a rock.I"ll never buy another.The Bill Meyer seats take forever to get and to me just don't look right.So I am checking into the comfort seats from Yamaha.Any suggestions? Anyone ever had this seat and an opinion?
the yamaha comfort seat is a brick produced by corbin for yamaha. stay away from this POS seat. i am 6'1 190lbs and after 3k miles the corbin never broke in as stated.

i have had a sargent under my butt for the past 8k miles, and although not perfect, light years ahead of the comfort.

cadman

Welcome to the forum!
Based on the many, many comments over the years about upgrading the seat, the factory Yamaha seat is not the way to go.

Quite a few folks are happy with the seat modification offered by a company in Florida named Spencer's. It is generally not considered as good as a custom seat by Russell or one of the Meyer boys, but is a whole lot cheaper. See www.greatdaytoride.com

I'd suggest you spend a bit of time searching around the forum. A well used search function using Google is as follows ~ your search item site:fjrforum in the Google search window. By playing around with your search string, you will be amazed at the information you'll pull up!

Good luck with your search...

Don
I thought the Spencer mod was close to a total waste of money. Initially I could tell little or no difference in the comfort value. Then, when I was fed up with the forward slant of the seat, I decided to cut it down myself. When I opened up the seat, I find that all Spencer did was cut a small (8" dia.) hole from the bottom of the foam several inches deep and install his miracle honeycome crap that is supposed to make the seat more comfortable. Didn't do anything for me. Probably took him all of 15 minutes to cut the hole and install his Supracore junk.This is not a custom seat by any means. Just my opinion though. My advice is to use the money for something else.

GP

I to have spencer's seat and don't notice any difference. I also had him lower the seat, which I don't notice any difference in that either. I guess for the money you can give it a try.

I'm another recent Spencer attempter and don't notice a huge difference from stock. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just put the money toward a Russel, Sargent, etc.

Well I have a 07 FJR and the stock seat wasn't working well for me. I don't have alot of money to spend on seats. I have owned alot of bikes over the years and I have some what of an idea of what kind of seat works for my butt. So after looking at alot of pictures of seats studing there shape I bought the Yamaha comfort seat for the Gen 2 FJR and I'm very happy with it. But I like a firm wide supportive seat like a corbin. I feel the Yamaha comfort seat was made for me. So it was the right choice for me.

Eric

Tried the Sargent and still hurt. Sent it back. Modded standard seat a little but after a couple of hours the standard foam seems to soft. Got the comfort seat and it is hard but has better support. From South Seattle Sports it was less than 300 bucks for both. Afraid to spend on a real custom seat cause I hurt sitting in a car. I just got a bad butt. Been think of getting some silicone inplants. I guess I could just eat a lot of icecream and cake an inlarge it some but can't seem to gain weight there.

Very much depends on the distance you normally ride. The comfort seats added another 100 miles to my day, sheepskin covers another 100miles, and so 300-400 miles were possible. After 300-400 miles I don’t want to ride the bike again for a week. I just ordered seats from Russell to maybe do one long trip this summer, then maybe I’ll start looking at trading up to a true touring bike.

Domenic
I'm replying to your thread only to make a point - not to take issue with what you said.

Seats are very subjective. I have almost 38,000 on my bike in three years. I've done four trips where we rode at least 400 miles every day. On three of the trips, we did 2900, 3700 and 3400 miles in eight days. On every one of those rides we did close to 650 in a day at least once on each ride, and we did several 500+ mile days. On all three of those trips, we were basically on the bikes all day every day for eight straight days.

Point is - I still have the stock seat. In fact, I just got back from 340 miles today - and I'd gladly go ride another tomorrow.

Everyone needs to find what works for them. I'm sure there are more comfortable seats than the stock seat, but I'd be afraid to risk it knowing that I can easily ride every day on mine for eight straight days.

I did my own mod.

I cut roughly 2 inches of the stock rock hard material out.

Which left about an inch.

I then put a 1 inch thick piece of "soft foam" in. Then a heat element. Then a 3/4 in thick piece of poly gel.

I then topped it off with a peice of 1/4 inch smoothing foam.

As you can tell if you do the math I have more material going back in than came out.

When I stretched the cover back over it it compressed the soft foam a bit.

I left a small void along the front of the seat (does away with that uncomfortable pressure up there) about an inch behind where the seat meets the tank.

It really does feel good, no more pressure points and all for about $155 USD.

If you want you can PM me for the websites i bought all the material from.

I've been thinking about modifying the seat myself but don't want to booger up the look. If you do-it-yourselfers have any pics please post. Found this website that might help some.
https://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

Sorry, I was pressed for time when I did mine. I was headed to a rally in a couple of days.

I will tell you this. I bought a second stock seat just in case. I kept my eye out for a good deal on a used one and when one came along I pounced on it.

That way I can play all I want with the one I'm modifying and still have a stocker laying around.

I will tell you that doing the mod the first time boosted my confidence and am now going to tear it apart again next winter and try a complete rebiuld.

No, they are not more comfortable - I spent the big bucks and got a bill mayer for both rider and passenger and couldn't be happier. tried the comfort gel seat, even with sheepskin cover and didn't like it

I have the Yamaha comfort seat. Just my opinion: don't waste you're money-YMMV.

I finally stopped lurking and signed on to this forum so I could get in on the Meyer group buy. Sent my stocker. Worth every penny. Made the bike much more enoyable for both rider and passenger. Don't care what it looks like-can't see it while I'm riding.

No locale on your profile. Where are you? If you happened to be close by you could test drive my Yami "comfort" saddle.

If you're going to invest in a replacement seat, it's best to apply what you were going to spend on some variation of off-the-shelf design (yamaha, corbin, sgt, etc.) and put it as a substantial chunk toward a custom-built-to-you seat (more than just the cover of your choice). Something by Russell or Rich's are considered highly. There's an annual group buy for Russell's that usually kicks off around the Christmas (off) season.