Are they 'squids?' Maybe not!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oftentimes, I figure the dude riding his bike wearing jeans is a squid. Well, I just might be wrong..... maybe!
Lately, I just don't feel like wearing my full leather getup to do some minor riding and/or jump into town for a bit. So..........

After some research on the mightly web, I bought a pair of Diamond Gusset kevlar jeans. I also got a Bohm underArmor pant. I wear the jeans over my pair of Cortech boots. We be stylin'! :ph34r:

Everything feels nice & snug EXCEPT if I sit down in my office chair. The tailbone pad sorta gets annoying but it can be worked out of the way.

There's a velcro tab on the jean cuffs that be tightened to fit snug on the boot, if need be. Also, I didn't bother inserting the thigh pads that are included.
Dude, you and me, man. We are, like, channeling the same zen, man (I must be from California :glare: ). I like to wear jeans too, because they're comfortable and make me look like, well, Steve McQueen (all the girls tell me so).

2190682347_7dab1e3c64_b.jpg

But I know they will shred on pavement at speed. So I did like you--I wear the Bohn underarmor along with "catcher's" style knee and shin pads. In the pic above, that's a bona fide motorcycle jacket with armor, and the strap around my waist is cinching a Dainese back protector.

But on those Bohn underpants (photo below) I also have that problem with the #$@*! tailbone pad. I think it may be a bad design--it wants to sit right under your rear, instead of behind. I'm always pulling a Valentino and pulling at my hiney when I sit down on the bike.

IMAGE2_AdvShortsblue.jpg

BTW, wearing long pants and a jacket IS "all the gear." It may not be the best gear, but it's the basic requirement. Shorts and a t-shirt is not wearing all the gear.

Squid.... When I think of jeans I think of Harley's, and they are definitely not squids. For me, squids are the guys who ride sport bikes and wear full body leathers. (I was at the new Dainese store in San Francisco today and was scoping out their one-piece leathers. Anybody got $2 grand? Though they had some on sale for $800.

Jb

I guess I assumed (Badly....again :angry2: ) that the term "squid" was the same everywhere! Oops! :ph34r:

In our area, we refer to "squids" as (in the most part) youngish yahoos wearing only only a helmet for protection (the law here), t-shirt and jeans or shorts with tennis shoes or worse. And yes, they generally are riding a sportbike of some sort and many tend to wheeley down the freeway in traffic, etc. That's the basic definition.

Harley folk have their own category which I'm not going to touch upon but it involves MEN wearing assless chaps (Ladies are surely encouraged!) and mini-helmets. But Bogus probably said it best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I would define "squids" in this area as young kids with a fresh license, a big bank account,(Daddy?) and a brand new 600cc+ sport bike without a bit of experience, but a shitload of "nothing can hurt me" attitude. No helmet, tank top,shorts, flip flops, and maybe some new frame sliders just in case they fall down! Sounds like southern California, but I have seen it many times here in Iowa.

As far as the Harley/cruiser definition, I can't help but to share a joke I got on my e-mail just today.

What's the difference between a vacuum cleaner and a Harley rider?..........The location of the dirtbag!

No offense to guys here who also own a Harley! Just for laughs :lol:

Back a little more than half my lafe ago, I wanted to join the Navy and become a "naval aviator"--I fell prey to that movie. My parents thought it may be a good idea, but wanted my uncle, dad's brother and Major in the Army, to come over and talk with me about what to expect when I joined up. Mom and dad were just thinking about baiscs of being away from home, the regimen and the like. Uncle John was so excited about me joining the Army. I finally mentioned that I was concerned about being on a ship as I had never been even in a row boat before.....long pause with puzzled look....."You mean you want to be a damn squid?!!!" No offense to anyone who served, the original post just brought that memory to mind. :rolleyes:

C. Find some type of chap or similar clothing that can be worn over Docker pants and not wrinkle the living crap out of my pants underneath, despite the 80-90F temps and real humidity. (Scab, I need your help.)
Well, that one is easy. Just buy Docker's that fit like this: Then, your mesh overpants will not cause any wrinkles!

107075.jpg

C. Find some type of chap or similar clothing that can be worn over Docker pants and not wrinkle the living crap out of my pants underneath, despite the 80-90F temps and real humidity. (Scab, I need your help.)
Well, that one is easy. Just buy Docker's that fit like this: Then, your mesh overpants will not cause any wrinkles!

107075.jpg
YOWWWW...

Hmm...I guess that puts me into the "squidly" category. I almost always wear AT LEAST jacket, gloves, helmet, boots everywhere I go. Only if I'm gonna be far from home or riding really hard to I put on my riding pants and back protector.

What! No pants?!?! You squid! :clapping: :D

You aren't a one a them Village People now is ya?
Hmmm.....my cover has been blown :assassin: Now I must kill you....or make you ride behind my lead whilst I wear the assless chaps. So wait, IF I wear LEATHER assless chaps, does that count as ATGATT? :huh:

I know you can get seriously hurt within a block of your house,
Your right. Statistics show you are most likely to get into an accident within 5 miles of your home. Once I learned of this......

I sold my house and moved.

:D

When I was into the cruiser scene I had the leather costume that is so common at all bike gatherings. As much as I now kinda chuckle at my buddies who still wear the costume, my chaps did save my legs big time when I had my accident. The chaps were bruised and scarred pretty bad and the belt failed, but my jeans and legs came out with almost no damage. Without them my 50 mph slide would not have been very pretty.

I know wear the armoured jeans. Just can't get into wearing the riding pants. I have abandoneded my leather costume but I haven't fully embraced the whole power rangers look. The jackets are cool though. :)

Hello, My name is Michael ...and I don't wear ATGATT. (insert group gasp here)

Perhaps it is blasphemy on the forum but truth be told, when the weather gets into the high 80's and above, I really enjoy mellow riding in the sun with short sleeves... just feels good.

Smart?... no

but you make your choices.

Hello, My name is Michael ...and I don't wear ATGATT. (insert group gasp here) Perhaps it is blasphemy on the forum but truth be told, when the weather gets into the high 80's and above, I really enjoy mellow riding in the sun with short sleeves... just feels good.

Smart?... no

but you make your choices.
All right, you're outta the club, Malve! :glare:

Hey, weren't you in a dual-sport accident on the beach, and wearing gear at the time?

I personally don't have a problem with chaps.... :rolleyes:
Me either, but I much prefer half chaps "It's all you need to wear."
"Ride safe"????? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know wear the armoured jeans. Just can't get into wearing the riding pants. I have abandoneded my leather costume but I haven't fully embraced the whole power rangers
My brother-in-law asked me today which power ranger I was. We rode out to pick up his wife, him on his Shadow, no gear, lidless, me ATGATT on my Feej.

I told him I'd rather be a power ranger than a mummy.