Armored Skivvies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbersidedown

Reaction score
In the interest of riding ATGATT I was looking for some summer weight pants, but since I ride to work and school overpants become a bit of a nuisance and I look a little odd walking around in them. I then considered Sliders or other kevlar reinforced jeans, but decided that abrasion protection is only a small part of the battle. This brought me to Bohn and Forcefield. I know lots of you guys are using one or the other, but I was wondering if anyone has used both, or is familiar enough to do a pros and cons analysis. This is where I am at so far (although some of these are just conjecture) having never seen the Bohn and only having seen the Forcefield action pro short, not the pants.

Bohn Adventure Pants:

Pros

-Less expensive

-90 day guarantee

-Available in mesh

Cons

-Solid (non-perforated) armor

-Uncomfortable zipper on lower leg

TPro Forcefield Pro Pants

Pros

-More armor

-More sophisticated armor

-Armor is perforated to allow airflow

-No lower leg zipper

Cons

-Too much armor to fit comfortably under normal sized jeans (?)

-More expensive

-Not available in mesh

The direction I am leaning at the moment based on this set of information is the mesh version of the bohn adventure pants, since the majority usage will be summer riding with jeans over them, and breathability is the primary concern. I also suppose i could use them in the spring and fall with electric pant liners to keep the temperature comfortable when its cool. Has anyone used these with electrics? Is there room underneath or are they too snug to be comfortable with the wires under them? I appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

I have no problem wearing overpants over my work pants. Adds 30 seconds to getting off the bike when I arrive, adds maybe 90 seconds to gearing up to ride. I don't see how that's a real issue.

Mine are Tour Master Venture Air, mesh with 2 removable liners (waterproof and quilted thermal.)

What about an Aerostich. Like wfooshee said, easy to get on and off and is comrfortable, it has the protection built in, although I would wear and after market spine protector also.

Aerostitch one piece. Get it a little large. I can wear business attire under it and change in about 10 seconds to "Businessman!!!" from Power Ranger. Also available with two different spine protectors, a smaller narrow one and a full width "compitition" version.

Mine are Tour Master Venture Air, mesh with 2 removable liners (waterproof and quilted thermal.)
I've got the same and I'm real happy with them... except for...

I've had the waist band adjuster come apart on one side, and torn halfway through on the other. It looks really beefy at first glance, but if you look at the other end where it loops through the buckle.. its just edge sewn.

I'm gonna have to start wearing suspenders with them.

Otherwise, really versatile pants, I've worn them from about 24F to a little over 100F. Getting stuck in a traffic jam at 100F was NO fun though.

First off, I don't have the kind of coin that Aerostitch calls for, and even if I did I probably would not spend it on their products. I'm sure they make great stuff, but they also charge a fortune, even for the products they don't make and redistribute, and I am not a big fan of that.

Over the last couple years I have had a couple different jackets that had multiple layers built in. I bought them thinking that they would be the most versatile thing I could buy and that It would be like buying two or 3 different jackets for different temperatures. While that may be true in theory, I found it not so realistic, because taking the liners in and out was very time consuming and bulked the jacket up just like layering with my own clothes. Instead, I wear the outer shell of the jacket and then layer what I need and bring spare layers along.

So my theory with these armored under pants is that I can wear any of the dozen pairs of jeans that I have, or layer over them and wear riding pants if it is cooler out or if I'm going on a "real" ride. I also seem to get the impression that these types of garments may offer more protection than their "over clothing" counterparts because they hold the armor against you directly and have more of it than many types of over pants.

I realize this may not be the ultimate protection or the way some of you would do it, but this is the solution I've set out to try and if it doesn't work out then maybe I will try it another way. But regardless of the method, I am unwilling to ride unprotected.

Aerostich :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Works for me, weather riding to a client in business attire or across the country. Easy / off, handles temp extremes well (50F in the morning, 90F and humid going home).

Well someone on here has used the Bohn's, I can't remember who though. :( Be patient, you should be getting an answer soon enough.

First off, I don't have the kind of coin that Aerostitch calls for, and even if I did I probably would not spend it on their products. I'm sure they make great stuff, but they also charge a fortune, even for the products they don't make and redistribute, and I am not a big fan of that.
Over the last couple years I have had a couple different jackets that had multiple layers built in. I bought them thinking that they would be the most versatile thing I could buy and that It would be like buying two or 3 different jackets for different temperatures. While that may be true in theory, I found it not so realistic, because taking the liners in and out was very time consuming and bulked the jacket up just like layering with my own clothes. Instead, I wear the outer shell of the jacket and then layer what I need and bring spare layers along.

So my theory with these armored under pants is that I can wear any of the dozen pairs of jeans that I have, or layer over them and wear riding pants if it is cooler out or if I'm going on a "real" ride. I also seem to get the impression that these types of garments may offer more protection than their "over clothing" counterparts because they hold the armor against you directly and have more of it than many types of over pants.

I realize this may not be the ultimate protection or the way some of you would do it, but this is the solution I've set out to try and if it doesn't work out then maybe I will try it another way. But regardless of the method, I am unwilling to ride unprotected.
I use the Bohn spandex under shorts for dirt riding. I have fallen on a lot of rocks with them and they have protected me very well. They are pretty comfortable too. The pads are really dense,once there on you forget they are there.

Well someone on here has used the Bohn's, I can't remember who though. :( Be patient, you should be getting an answer soon enough.
Thanks to the handy dandy search feature, I have seen many members who have left feedback regarding the performance of one or the other of these brands, but have not seen anyone who has used both. If I can't find anyone can give me the feedback I am hoping for then I will try the Bohn Mesh pants and if they don't do the trick I will return them under the 90 satisfaction guarantee and try the Forcefield pants.

Why not just use the overpants and take them off when you get to work/school? Put your jeans/shorts underneath and be comfy when you get there.

Why not just use the overpants and take them off when you get to work/school? Put your jeans/shorts underneath and be comfy when you get there.
Overpants

Pros

- Fit over street clothes

- Abrasion Resistant

- Purpose built

- Weather Proof

- No need to clean often

Cons

- Expensive @170-$300+ for a decent pair

- Armor is not well positioned or snug to the rider

- Temp control is limited by vent size and position

- Need to be stored when off the bike

- Layering is limited to what fits underneath

Base layer armor

Pros

- Fits over street clothes

- Stretches to give an ideal fit

- Armor is held exactly where it needs to be in event of impact

- Can be layered over with as many layers as will fit.

- No need to take on and off or store when leaving the bike

- One pair can be worn with many other pairs of pants

- As much airflow as the outer layer will allow

- Less expensive than many overpants

Cons

- Need to be washed more frequently

- Difficult to take off while on the road

- Can't wear shorts

Basically any solution is a collection of compromises. I find that overpants, for me, are more of a hassle because I get on and off the bike a lot. With the base layer armor I can do that with out taking pants on and of each time and in relatively high comfort. I understand this may not be the solution for everyone, but it is the one that I have come up with for my needs.