AsheTireTestingProgram

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I can't seem to decide. So I thought it might be fun to take a poll and see if anyone really gives a crap?

:)

You know one thing I'd wish you'd do Jeff? Take a profile picture before and after of each tire, vis-a-vis, a front and side mug shot against a standard, measured background... Combine that with your performance report, that would be some keeler info and help folks better understand the need for suspension adjustment/brand or model.

You know one thing I'd wish you'd do Jeff? Take a profile picture before and after of each tire, vis-a-vis, a front and side mug shot against a standard, measured background... Combine that with your performance report, that would be some keeler info and help folks better understand the need for suspension adjustment/brand or model.
Good suggestion. I could use some graph paper as background and PhotoChop a detailed inset.

I voted for the ME 880, but whichever is on top of the pile in your garage would be fine. Keep those reports coming! The roads here are probably similar to the ones you frequent, but I don't think my right wrist is quite as twitchy as yours. :rolleyes: I expect to get somewhere around 5-6K out of the current Z6 (barring any sharp objects).

The ME 880 has lasted much better than the OEM Dunlop K555 on my Magna, with better grip and feedback as well. (Of course the FJR has double the HP, weighs 100 lbs more, and leans quite a bit further before scraping anything.) I got 5500 miles out of the Dunlop and currently have about 8K on the ME880 with maybe another 3K to the wear indicators (so long as the plug I put in it last weekend holds). Definitely an apples to oranges comparison, but I'm very pleased with the ME880 on that bike.

David

ps The suspension settings you suggested were a great starting point, needing just a few minor tweaks as everything finished it initial break-in.

Don't know why this is NEPRT; this is good stuff. Thanks for you input on this; pictures would even be better (as suggested above).

For sure a place where +1 is appropriate.

Please continue the testing as long as you are willing. Even though I don't push the limits as far or often as you do, it is still useful for me to see the results of your comparisons.

You folks are not making the decision any easier! I mean, the BT and the ME are running neck-and-neck.

Come on, somebody make my mind up for me. It's almost the weekend and I hate making decisions on the weekend!

My votes in for the Metzler....I haven't run anything but Metzlers for the last 20 years, and have always had good results. I tend to twist the throttle quite a bit, and take pride in the lack of chicken strips on my current steed, however, I'm not liking the 4-5K I'm getting out of the last 2 sets of Z/4's.

I would be very interested to hear how well the 880 holds it's line in tight cornering.....while delivering 8....10....12K miles? :unsure:

And Jeff, anyway you could accelerate the ATTP? :dribble: ...I'm almost down to the wear indicators.....AGAIN! :rolleyes:

John

Metzler. If for no other reason, WFO info. This may solve the mega-mile trip planning issues about tires.

Ok, I broke the tie for you. Having no opinion of either of these tires made it really easy for me to vote... I played eeny meenie miney mo.

If you mount your own tires (TWN will be all over that comment) tell me how the 880 went. I had to take it to a friend with a Coates tire machine after it kicked my ass. I have a Harbor Freight changer and No-mar tools. The rear tire sidewalls are just too stiff and I still haven't gotten the owners of NoMar to do this combo yet. :dribble:

You probably should go with the Road Pilot Michelins. It seems from reading tire threads (on these boards)that the best tire for an FJR is the Road Pilot. Others cause front end shake, high-speed wobble.

Well, the ME880 was in the lead Friday night when I began mounting tires. So the ME880 it is!

For those holding out for the Bridgestone, it will only be about a week before the spare rear wheel is ready. The BT021 will go on then.