Attention '06 FJR Farklers - bike-mounted farkle mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chornbe

Reaction score
While standing out in the garage generally admiring my FJR... under the guise of deciding where/how to mount the GPS & Chatterbox permenantly... I came up with an idea I want to run by some of you fine folks.

What would you say if I were to build, for limited distribution, a bike-mounted farkle mounting plate (as opposed to handle bar mounted), possibly with power connections, that you could mount your RAM balls to? I've got an idea that I think will fly, but before I talk to my machinist friend and see about quantity and frequency of builds, and before I went nuts with the CAD stuff, I wanted to find out if this is something the market would support.

Or, am I completely nuts and, is the bar-mounted RAM stuff good enough?

My reasons for this are that I want to keep the bars mostly clear and I don't want to run several power (and other) cables up the bars and have them snaking about. Since the *only* thing I actually need on my bars on *my* set up is one of the PTT switches, it makes more sense (to me) to run that one wire, than to run a bunch of wires up the bars.

So, let's hear some feedback. I know I'm not letting on too much of the design, but I'm looking for feedback on the general idea, not necessarily my idea for implementation. This would not be like the shelf idea, and in fact, would be able to be on the bike along with the shelf if your farkle inventory demanded.

Thanks.

If I follow you correctly... I'm game, cost of course has to be within reason, and honestly I'd have to see it and think about it and how it would improve what I'm doing now.

I agree that I'd rather have stuff on the bike vs. on the bars.

I too am interested, but I'd have to see it to decide. If it is not a shelf, and not mounted on the bars as a Ram mount, I would think it would block my view of the dash, speedo and tach. Ricgh now I have a Sirius Sat radio, Ipod and a Garmin2610 mounted on ram mounts. I'd like to add my V-1 radar detector and at times a video cam. ;) . Maybe you can show us a drawing of your idea?

Build me this farkle bar, Mr. Gizmo:

IMG_1630.jpg

Build me this farkle bar, Mr. Gizmo:
IMG_1630.jpg
Holy crap!! I know I saw a flux capacitor in there somewhere!!

As for a drawing, ok... let me do some work on the drawing tomorrow and I'll post it.

Thanks for the feedback!

While standing out in the garage generally admiring my FJR... under the guise of deciding where/how to mount the GPS & Chatterbox permenantly... I came up with an idea I want to run by some of you fine folks.

What would you say if I were to build, for limited distribution, a bike-mounted farkle mounting plate (as opposed to handle bar mounted), possibly with power connections, that you could mount your RAM balls to? I've got an idea that I think will fly, but before I talk to my machinist friend and see about quantity and frequency of builds, and before I went nuts with the CAD stuff, I wanted to find out if this is something the market would support.

Or, am I completely nuts and, is the bar-mounted RAM stuff good enough?

My reasons for this are that I want to keep the bars mostly clear and I don't want to run several power (and other) cables up the bars and have them snaking about. Since the *only* thing I actually need on my bars on *my* set up is one of the PTT switches, it makes more sense (to me) to run that one wire, than to run a bunch of wires up the bars.

So, let's hear some feedback. I know I'm not letting on too much of the design, but I'm looking for feedback on the general idea, not necessarily my idea for implementation. This would not be like the shelf idea, and in fact, would be able to be on the bike along with the shelf if your farkle inventory demanded.

Thanks.
You asked, I have built it.

www.farklebar.com

Thanks,

Douglas