Attn Garmin Quest2 Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
For North America owners:

Was on the phone with Garmin yesterday and they informed me the latest version of the mapping software (version 8) will be ready to send out starting Friday. This will be the latest version since May '05 and should provide the latest POI information. If you're like me, you've noticed that POIs that you're looking for don't exist in the database and POIs that it says are there, aren't.

If you haven't already done so, go to the garmin.com website, click on myGarmin and register your unit. When you do this, it will (supposedly) automatically notify you of the update and the process to obtain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I *think* but I'm not sure that use Quest 1 owners are Shit out of luck aren't we? Version 8 won't work on the Q1 right?

I've emailed them 2x but haven't gotten a response :angry2:

Anyone know for sure?

Randy,

This update has actually be available for some time. I installed it about a month ago.

I got an email from Garmin with a link. I requested the DVD and it came in the mail in less than 3 days. Best of all, it was free (because of when I bought my Q2)

VM

I'm also waiting for the ver.8 release on the 15th. I bought a 2730 a couple of weeks ago and it shipped with ver.7. I registered the unit and will try tomorrow to get the new disc coming. My GPS itself has (I'm assuming) ver.7 maps and info. installed, so does this software also have the capability to update the GPS itself, or is it only for PC use?

............I'm confused :blink:

I'm also waiting for the ver.8 release on the 15th. I bought a 2730 a couple of weeks ago and it shipped with ver.7. I registered the unit and will try tomorrow to get the new disc coming. My GPS itself has (I'm assuming) ver.7 maps and info. installed, so does this software also have the capability to update the GPS itself, or is it only for PC use? ............I'm confused :blink:

I sent my 2730 in for warranty, the USB connection completely detached, and in lieu of fixing it they sent me a complete new one w/v8 DVD about a week ago. The box they sent it in was the standard retail packaging with a sticker plastered on it, "Now with v8!". Tomorrow must be the first day they are shipping new units w/v8 software.

The unit also came with v8 on it...you should be able to update the maps in the GPS.

PTP

V8 will work for all units that have loadable maps. Essentially CSNA and CNNA have always been interchangeable - according to Garmin the underlying maps and POI data have been the same, but the routing methodogy was somewhat different.

With V8 it seems that they have 'chunked' the maps into smaller bits so that people with units like the V with its limited memory can use the more modern data - they were severely limited previously.

There are TWO versions of V8. There's V8 for units like the original Quest, the SP3, V, 2610 and 276/376 and there's V8NT for the ones with full loads in compressed format such as the i5, C330, 2730, 2820, nuvi and so on.

The original V8 has been out for a month or so, I have had it on my 276. The ORIGINAL Quest can use it just fine, thanks. Quest-2 uses the NT version which is starting to ship just now.

If you want to know what maps you have, press 'menu' while looking at the map, then select 'map version'.

Randy,
This update has actually be available for some time. I installed it about a month ago.

I got an email from Garmin with a link. I requested the DVD and it came in the mail in less than 3 days. Best of all, it was free (because of when I bought my Q2)

VM
I got conflicting reports when I spoke with them this week about the versions. First guy I talked to said NTv8 was released in August and the guy I spoke with yesterday said it was scheduled to be released in August, but, was delayed until tomorrow. I dunno. Maybe they had issues with the original V8 and made changes and rerelease? To think, I'm here messing with v7 when 'I coulda had a v8!'

Renegade, Give them a call.

- Monday — Friday

- 8 a.m. — 5 p.m.

Central time (closed holidays)

- 1-800-800-1020

- 1-888-442-7646

Might have to wait 10-15 minutes, but, it's worth the time.

I got conflicting reports when I spoke with them this week about the versions. First guy I talked to said NTv8 was released in August and the guy I spoke with yesterday said it was scheduled to be released in August, but, was delayed until tomorrow. I dunno. Maybe they had issues with the original V8 and made changes and rerelease? To think, I'm here messing with v7 when 'I coulda had a v8!'
Regular V8 was released in August. NT was SUPPOSED to be released, but apparently there were issues. So they delayed it for a month and it is just coming out now.

Nuvis and other units shipped from the factory in Taiwan since about the second week of August have had V8 on board.

DON'T EXPECT MIRACLES, the differences are pretty subtle. The POI database is just as sucky as it always was. They will have updated many of the road changes.

For North America owners:Was on the phone with Garmin yesterday and they informed me the latest version of the mapping software (version 8) will be ready to send out starting Friday. This will be the latest version since May '05 and should provide the latest POI information. If you're like me, you've noticed that POIs that you're looking for don't exist in the database and POIs that it says are there, aren't.

If you haven't already done so, go to the garmin.com website, click on myGarmin and register your unit. When you do this, it will (supposedly) automatically notify you of the update and the process to obtain it.
I just want the friggen OS/X version of the routing software (sigh).

OK guys hear's the scoop. I just went to The Garmin site, and ver.8 NT (for all units with pre-loaded maps) began shipping today. I was able to place my order and got confirmation that it will arrive in 7-10 working days. So there you have it. Order away! :D

OK guys hear's the scoop. I just went to The Garmin site, and ver.8 NT (for all units with pre-loaded maps) began shipping today. I was able to place my order and got confirmation that it will arrive in 7-10 working days. So there you have it. Order away! :D
Seems they didn't send the email that they said they would, but, I, too, went there and ordered mine (no charge).