• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Audiovox cruise control with installation service, all years

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott,

I live near Smitty but ride to LaGrange often to see my daughter and grandkids who live there.

Maybe give you a shout next time.

John

Just got back last night from some business in St Louis, and while I was there the farkle-meister Smitty installed cruise control on my 06A. Due to my less-than-stellar planning I had Skyway overnight one of his custom mounts straight to Smitty's house, and when the USPS guys failed to deliver it on time, Smitty went down to the local post office and convinced workers to open the doors after closing time and give him the mount. What a great guy, and what a great master wrench. He could probably farkle an F-22.

I have never had an active cruise before. What an unbelievably useful tool. I've lived with a throttle locker thru my FJR's first 3,000 miles, but on longer rides my right hand would still tingle and fall asleep on anything but the flattest of roads where a throttle locker could remain engaged for awhile. It's clear cruise is gonna change my life. I did just a brief 75 mile ride tonight, and the cruise was simply awesome at holding rock solid speeds no matter what the terrain. I could really look up and enjoy the scenery more without having to worry about my speed. I could also shift in the saddle a lot more freely, less constrained by the right arm. I actually caught myself playing right-handed "air drums" to New Order's Blue Monday.

Anyway, props to Smitty. He really knows what he's doing.

Don

Glad it all worked out for you Don. :clapping:

You guy's near to Hooterville sure are lucky to have Smitty around to lend a hand. ;)

Just got back last night from some business in St Louis, and while I was there the farkle-meister Smitty installed cruise control on my 06A. Due to my less-than-stellar planning I had Skyway overnight one of his custom mounts straight to Smitty's house, and when the USPS guys failed to deliver it on time, Smitty went down to the local post office and convinced workers to open the doors after closing time and give him the mount. What a great guy, and what a great master wrench. He could probably farkle an F-22.
I have never had an active cruise before. What an unbelievably useful tool. I've lived with a throttle locker thru my FJR's first 3,000 miles, but on longer rides my right hand would still tingle and fall asleep on anything but the flattest of roads where a throttle locker could remain engaged for awhile. It's clear cruise is gonna change my life. I did just a brief 75 mile ride tonight, and the cruise was simply awesome at holding rock solid speeds no matter what the terrain. I could really look up and enjoy the scenery more without having to worry about my speed. I could also shift in the saddle a lot more freely, less constrained by the right arm. I actually caught myself playing right-handed "air drums" to New Order's Blue Monday.

Anyway, props to Smitty. He really knows what he's doing.

Don
Thanks again Don.... I did go to the Post Office today and deliver a 12 pack of Pepsi, and a 12 pack of Diet Pepsi to keep them from going postal.... It did open a can of worm there... When they where getting the package for me, two others wanted stamps and stuff... I ran out the door with the greatest cruise mount (Skyway) around. Hope you come over to ride some time... Ride safe, Smitty

Hey Smitty, I came by your garage yesterday about noon, half expecting to see you there installing something for someone, but, no one was home. We gotta get out and ride sometime soon. Catch you next time!

Well, here's another boring Smitty praise post. However, he deserves every one that gets posted here. The man ROCKS!!!

My buddy who just bought an 07 and myself made the 250 mile ride down to Smitty's garage for two cruise controls and a heated grip install. We spent Friday night in his garage watching it pepper rain while Smitty went to town on our bikes. He finished my bike (cruise & heated grips) and then took us to the local hot spot for some R&R....the SUPER 8! While we slept (well sort of) Smitty got up at 5am to complete the cruise install on my buddy's bike before picking us up for breakfast.

Guys, I have to say that if you are wavering at all about getting this cruise control installed on your bike, you HAVE to just do it! Get Smitty to install it and you won't have to worry about a thing. My ride back to Central Illinois was so much nicer with the cruise. Man, I wish I had only had it installed before I put 9000 miles on my 06. Shoot, it's worth the trip to get the install done by Smitty just to see his FJR. That thing is FARKLED out the wahzoo!

Okay, enough of this. Now give Smitty a call and GIT R DONE!!!

Thanks again Smitty for a great job, hope to cross paths again sometime.

Thanks Smitty, I have over 800 miles since your install. Rock steady speed. GPS shows less than 1 mph diff uphill or down.

Thanks again.

I had Smitty install cruise on my 05 today and absolutey love it. It holds the speed even in the hilly area south of St Louis. I think the thing that amazed me the most was the level of professionalism in the install. It looks like the factory put it there...even where the wires are hidden!!!

Thanks for the great job Smitty

Kevin

Tried out the new cruise on a 550 mile trip today...it worked perfectly throughout the whole trip...Now I just need my Russel seat and I am ready for a 1000 mile day. The stock saddle was done at 50 miles!!!

Thanks Smitty

i just had the audiovox instal by smitty and the install is well done clean and the cruise work really good it was the best 310$ and 18h of driving i did for a long time don't think twice drive there and get in instal ..

tx again hope to get to ride whit you soon smith ......

Just had Smitty install Cruise on my 05. It was 385 miles home and I rode straight there with only one gas stop.... and most all on the interstate. The Cruise worked wonderful. Smitty was very accomodating and a all around very nice guy. You will be very happy with his work. Thanks !

SteveWalker

Tulsa

Mid-May of 07 I stopped at Smitty's place to have him install a cruise control and heated grips on my 06 FJR. I pulled in at noon and the install was done about 5. I was so impressed with the professional and clean approach to the whole install-from the organized stripping down of the bike, to the neat casing and routing of all the wire bundles, to the appearance and location of the cruise control bracket and the knob for the Heat Troller. Following the install, I took the bike for a 45 min ride to check the opertation of the cruise and the heated grips-everything worked perfectly. The next two days I was up early riding and the heated grips made a big difference. On the way home back to Iowa there was a long interstate ride, and the cruise control made the 13 hour ride a lot more tolerable. I couldn't recommend these additions to any FJR owner more highly.

I am a bit tardy with this, but...........

I had the immense pleasure of finally getting to meet Smitty in person this past May when I rode out for the Hooterville 400 shindig. What a freakin blast! Boy knows how to show a good time, if you know what I mean.

Anywho, Smitty installed the Audiovox on my FJR. Here is the master at work on my FJR with an un-identified groupie :lol: :

SmittyCCinstall.jpg

Can't say enough about Smitty and his install. It took him about two hours - that which for me would have been 2 days and a lot of frustration. The boy has done so many of these things he's got it down to an art. One hell of a guy. The world is a much better place when there are peeps like Smitty around.

Oh, and I love my Audiovox CC!!!

Mang, I don't know why a bunch of peeps haven't organized a Smitty CC par-tay for WFO. Ya know, fly him out and have him install Audiovox cruise controls by the dozens. Have him working well into the night while you imbibe copious amounts of spirts.

All,

There's a difference between being anal retentive and obsessive-compulsive. I know. I'm anal retentive and am extremely selective when it comes to installing anything on my bike and just as selective when it comes to choosing who works on it. So I patiently waited a year to have Smitty install the AudioVox on my 06 knowing that I'd be working in St. Louis at the Iron Butt Rally.

Smitty, on the other hand, is obsessive-compulsive. As has been reported here, his attention to detail is above reproach -- to the point where all the zip ties are pointing in the same direction. Sort of scary if you think about it. I feel sorry for his wife. :lol:

Three hours later I was happily rolling down the road. Thanks again for your hospitality Smitty.

Bill Shaw

Smitty:

Have you figured out why AVCC don't always work on Gen II bikes? Mine is still not working when it warms up. I have read the volumes of theories and when a gen II owner has had success, I've tried to replicate it to no avail. Did I miss something? Is there a magic fix?