Autocom in Magnetic Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I really was not trying to ask a smart a$$ question. I have always thought/heard it was a bad idea to put electronic equipment near strong magnetic fields. Heaven knows I have screwed up a few computer disks with a magnetic field. So I was curious if the magnets in the tank bags would interfere with the electronics in the Autocom and its associated accessories like the cell phone.
Sounds like madmike has been trouble free. not quite certain what renegade's experience has been based on his post.
I have mine mounted sideways along the back "wall" of my tank bag so that the center portion is left wide open. I put a piece of 3/8" clear tube on the vox adjuster and stuck it out the "cable port" of my Nelson-Rigg. And I could route all of the wires and cables along the bottom edge along the inside of the bag to the rear and tuck the excess under the autocomm unit.
Mike could you post a pic of your setup? (Or PM me)It sounds like an ideal setup. I already have & love my Nelson-Rigg & I'm ordering the autocom soon. It might be a more convienient alternative to mounting it permanently on the bike.

Not sure if this thread is about tank bags or magnets anymore, but I am also wanting to install an Autocom in my bag. Have everything almost worked out except for where the cables enter and leave the bag. I am looking for some kind of rubber grommet or semi-waterproof opening I can mount in the side of the bag. Anybody seen anything like that floating around the web? By the way this is the tankbag I have: https://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Tank/TimberwolfMag.html. Really like it.

Bill

I have been looking at the Powerlet website to solve that problem.

They have a few good looking options for getting power and other wires into or out of the bag.

Click on the link and check out the "Cable Port - PTB-010" about half way down the page.

Powerlet

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike could you post a pic of your setup? (Or PM me)It sounds like an ideal setup. I already have & love my Nelson-Rigg & I'm ordering the autocom soon. It might be a more convienient alternative to mounting it permanently on the bike.
When I get home...if I remember. Send me a PM and remind me.

I have been looking at the Powerlet website to solve that problem.
They have a few good looking options for getting power and other wires into or out of the bag.

Click on the link and check out the "Cable Port - PTB-010" about half way down the page.

Powerlet
Thanks mfb, that is exactly what I was looking for. Been to their web site a few time but never saw that.

Bill

Well I thought I'd post a few pictures of my relatively new Cortech Mini tank bag. I used to have a Garmin 2610 (nice unit) mounted on the bike, but I got tired of having to remove it along with the tank bag everytime I stopped for coffee or anything else. Also with the simplicity of use of the 2610 I found myself using it while riding which was a little too dangerous for my liking. So I decided to change GPS units and get a Quest. I opted to mount everything to my Cortech Mini so when I take the bag everything went with it. I placed a piece of wood below the map pocket to make the top of the bag rigid so that I could mount the GPS mount and radar detector base, and I also bolted the bag top to the map pocket. The bag now has the following installed:

Starcomm1 Advanced

Ipod, with Air Click Remote

Midland GMRS GXT500

Garmin Quest

Bel RX65

The Starcomm has been a nice addition making this all work. Previously I didn't have the GPS piped into the Starcomm, but now I really like that feature. I don't need to look at the GPS very much, 'she' just tells me when I need to turn. Having your radar detector in your helmet is truly priceless and I would highly recommend it. A nice extra with the radar detector is that it also displays the bikes 'voltage' in it's display when it's on. Another bonus with the GMRS has been the NOAA broadcast piped in through the helmet when the weather looks dicey. All in all this system has worked very well and has had some good road testing, it's very stable stuck to the tank.

I've got about 5K with this setup, no problems at all. Works very well and is portable, I would highly recommend it.

tankbag5.JPG

tankbag1.JPG

tankbag2.JPG

tankbag3.JPG

tankbag4.JPG

Here is a shot on the bike. I moved the airclick to the right to leave more map room, also the GMRS radio is not attached.

tankbag6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all of my electronics run through the tankbag. I used to have a laptop but have since traded that out and use the Garmin 2720...but still in the tankbag. I'll prolly get a new tankbag sometime soon and redo everything. Its nice to switch to other bikes.

- Autocom Super Pro Avi

- Ipod shuffle

- Cell Phone

- GPS

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

Now with 2720.

IMG_2430.JPG

I really like that setup in the post above.